This is an exciting opportunity to work within a well-established, staffed and resourced and respected Occupational Therapy service with patients with a primary diagnosis of server mental illness or personality disorder .
The post will be based within the high security, forensic hospital environment and offers a great development opportunity for an Occupational Therapist to develop their skills. The hospital has moved to a new bespoke hospital is the most modern high security forensic hospital in the country. The hospital focuses on innovative care to a challenging and interesting patient group. We have a strong commitment to multi-professional working within the clinical team, focussing on reducing risk and offending behaviours.
We are looking to recruit a resourceful, motivated Occupational Therapist, experienced in mental health (though not necessarily in forensic) who enjoys new challenges.Main duties of the job
The post holder will take be responsible for one ward and will work with Occupational Therapy Assistant in all the sessions with patients. The Occupational Therapy service work together to offer groups and individual treatment goals for patients and are valued member of the multi-disciplinary team.
The hospital offers a variety of services which meet the changing needs of patients at every stage of their recovery. The Occupational Therapist work in close collaboration with vocational work areas, a health and fitness team and a recovery college, as well as the work carried out by other Allied Health Professionals.About us
West London NHS Trust is one of the most diverse providers of mental health, community and social care in the UK.
Our 3,982 staff care for people in hospital and in the community, helping them to recover and go on to lead full and productive lives. We aim to be the best organisation of our kind in the country.
We provide care and treatment for more than 800,000 people living in the London boroughs of Ealing, Hammersmith & Fulham and Hounslow, delivering services in the community (at home, in GP surgeries and care homes), hospital, specialist clinics and forensic (secure) units.
We'rerated good overall by the Care Quality Commission (CQC).
Together, we're committed to promoting hope and wellbeing, working with patients, service users, carers, families and partners across the communities we serve.
We are keen to ensure that our workforce reflects the community it serves, particularly in terms of ethnicity, gender, disability, LGBTQ+ and experience of mental illness.
Covid-19 vaccination is a condition of employment for this role, unless an exemption applies. The successful applicant may have contact with vulnerable service users and we will therefore seek proof of being fully vaccinated during the recruitment process.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Post Title: Occupational Therapist
Department: Occupational Therapy and Rehabilitation Therapy Services (RTS)
Responsible to: Band 7 Specialist Occupational Therapy
Accountable to: Head of Allied Health Professionals (AHPs) and Rehabilitation Services (RTS)
- Service Users/ Patients and Carers
- Head of Occupational Therapy Services & RTS
- Rehabilitation Therapy Services(RTS) staff
- Occupational Therapists / Supervisor and Support staff
- Clinical and Service Director, Head of Service and Service Managers
- Multidisciplinary Clinical Teams
- Heads/Leads of Professions
- External Statutory and Voluntary Agencies.
: Band 5 Job Summary:
- To provide a client-centred occupational therapy service to a defined caseload of service users /patients, within high security forensic services working with multi-disciplinary team members and the occupational therapy team.
- To actively develop and implement a framework of care, which reflects a holistic approach to service user needs, and the seven pillars of clinical governance.
- To work under the supervision of a senior occupational therapist, to apply clinical skills in occupational therapy assessment, treatment planning, intervention and evaluation, which include individual and group orientated approaches.
- To contribute to the evaluation and continued development of the occupational therapy service.
- To ensure that the professional standards and ethics as set out by Royal College of Occupational Therapists (RCOT) and Health Care Professions Council (HCPC) are adhered to at all times.
- BSc (Hons) Or MSc Occupational Therapy
- HCPC Registration
- Application of core OT skills and OT process
- Multidisciplinary team working
- Experience of working in mental health
- Work experience in a Health or Social Care setting
- Involvement in research and clinical audit
- Studies in Forensic Care
- Placement in a Forensic setting
- An understanding of the Forensic Setting How Mental Illness presents in people
- Research methodology
- Core skills of OT process
- Models of practice
- Clinical and environmental risk
- Equality and diversity
- Understanding of team dynamics
- Awareness of professional identity and the need to work within appropriate boundaries
- Principles of clinical governance
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Relevant current legislation, including NSF, CPA, risk assessment and risk management
- Group work theory and practice
- VdT Model of Creative Ability (VdT MoCA)
West London NHS TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.