The Mile End Early Diagnostic Centre (MEEDC) is a brand new service for North East London (NEL) due to open in December 2020, hosted by Barts Health NHS Trust, to support early diagnosis of cancer for the local population, and the first of its kind nationally.
The MEEDC will operate as a system resource for the three main providers within NEL covering the 7 Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCG), providing additional capacity in-hours, consisting of two endoscopy rooms, two ultrasound rooms and a decontamination unit. This capacity will be used primarily for cancer surveillance however any remaining capacity will be used to support urgent referrals. The key aim for the MEEDC is to provide person centred care, reducing variation across NEL and ensuring a high-quality diagnostic service for the local population.
There are a number of exciting opportunities arising within this brand new service at Mile End Hospital, for highly skilled, knowledgeable, dynamic and innovative individuals.Main duties of the job
Admit patients for endoscopic procedures prepare and assist during endoscopic procedures recover patients working in the MEEDC Endoscopy unit's recovery area and providing support to the Junior Sisters and Charge Nurses to ensure the smooth running of the unit.
To discharge patients home post procedure, to offer health education to patients about diet and medication post procedure.
To work as part of a large team to ensure the welfare of patients and staff.
To work in conjunction with the Senior and Junior Sisters/Charge Nurses in the endoscopy Unit, to ensure the unit is staffed appropriately and that all staff are trained to meet the demands of this growing service.
To participate in training programmes within the MEEDC as well as the wider Trust.
To be part of a team of endoscopic experts within the Barts Health NHS Trust, helping to line managing the Nursing assistants be actively involved in the recruitment and appraisal of all staff in the area and the development of further training for this group of staff.About us
Barts Health is one of the largest NHS trusts in the country, and one of Britain's leading healthcare providers.
The Barts Health group of NHS hospitals is entering an exciting new era on our improvement journey to becoming an outstanding organisation with a world-class clinical reputation. Having lifted ourselves out of special measures, we now have the impetus and breathing space to chart a fresh course in which we are continually striving to improve all our services for patients.
Our vision is to be a high-performing group of NHS hospitals, renowned for excellence and innovation, and providing safe and compassionate care to our patients in east London and beyond. That means being a provider of excellent patient safety, known for delivering consistently high standards of harm-free care and always caring for patients in the right place at the right time. It also means being an outstanding place to work, in which our WeCare values and behaviours are visible to all and guide us in how we work together. We strive to live by our WeCare values and are committed to promoting inclusion, where every staff member has a sense of belonging. We value our differences and fully advocate, cultivate and support an inclusive working environment.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
The full job description provides an overview of the key tasks and responsibilities of the role, and the person specification outlines the qualifications, skills, experience, and knowledge required. For both documents, please view the attachment/s below.Person SpecificationExperienceEssential
- Experience of working in a clinical environment, taking account of patient safety, dignity and infection prevention
- Experience of providing front line customer service.
- Experience in the maintenance and performance checking of endoscopic and decontamination equipment.
- Knowledge of endoscopic equipment, including EUS, EBUS and a range of AER and drying cabinets.
- Ability to use a computerised equipment management database system.
- Good organisational, prioritisation and time management skills - to manage own work area and work load.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Good customer relations and interpersonal skills. Able to function effectively as part of a large team.
- Able to provide advice, instruction and training to small groups of staff on areas relating to areas of own responsibility of work.
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to continuously improving systems of working.
- Ability to use MS Windows and Office (Excel, Word, Outlook etc.) to manage files and set up documents and spread sheets.
- Knowledge of recovery nursing and or working in OP setting or 6 months clinical experience Fully competent to administer I.V medication Knowledge and understanding of the risks to patients and staff arising from the use of a range of medical equipment.
- A working knowledge of gastrointestinal diseases
- Can demonstrate empathy and caring attitude
- Evidence of regular participation in formal and informal training throughout career.
- Registered General Nurse
- Trained to degree level or working towards this
- Endoscopic Nursing Experience
Employer detailsEmployer name
- A good level of physical fitness and dexterity sufficient to perform the duties of the post with any aids and adaptations.
- Willingness and ability to travel between other sites.
- Willingness to develop own skills and abilities and to attend training courses.
Barts Health NHS TrustAddress
Mile End Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.