Working Full time : 37.5 hours a week - 14 months Fixed Term contract/Secondment RETRAIN Trial (Stroke Study)
We are looking for an experienced Research Nurse to work alongside the Chief Investigator and to lead on a research study called the RETRAIN trial (MonitoRing the Effect of TRAnscutaneous functional electrIcal stimulation of the common peroneal Nerve using the geko(TM) neuromuscular electro stimulator (NMES) on cerebral haemodynamics and neuroplasticity in patients with ischaemic strokes).
You will be responsible for leading the day-to-day coordination of all the activities required for the effective running of the trial, including governance aspects. You will be accountable to the Research & Innovation Manager and ensure the provision of a safe service to all research participants.
A good understanding of the needs of patients who have suffered a stroke will be required as you will support colleagues and patients throughout the study delivery process, including clinical aspects associated with the trial.
Travel between sites will be a requirement (Countess of Chester and Ellesmere Port Hospitals).
Further details about the RETRAIN trial protocol can be provided on request.Main duties of the job
The successful candidate will be responsible for numerous aspects of the trial from study set up (including HRA / REC and local approvals) through to end of recruitment.
Excellent communication and team playing skills are vital as you will play a pivotal role in the screening, clinical assessment (including assessment of mental capacity), recruitment and follow up of patients.
You will generate reports and updates to the Sponsor, Funder, REC/HRA and other key stakeholders on behalf of the Chief Investigator as directed.About us
The Countess of Chester Hospital NHS Foundation Trust provides services to West Cheshire and to Welsh patients covered by Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board. The Trust works collaboratively within the wider Cheshire and Merseyside Health and Care Partnership. Its services are provided from three locations:
- The Countess of Chester Hospital: providing 438 general and acute beds
- Ellesmere Port Hospital: providing 56 beds as a rehabilitation, intermediate and outpatient facility
- Tarporley War Memorial Hospital: a base for community services which serve the local rural population.
The Trust employs over 6258 staff (headcount) which includes temporary bank staff and provides acute emergency and elective services, primary care direct access services and obstetric services to a population of approximately 407,000. This includes 357,000 residents in Chester and West Cheshire which includes Ellesmere Port and Neston as well as the Deeside area of Flintshire which has a population of approximately 50,000.
The Trust is a busy district general hospital and in 2022/2023, there were more than 503,342 patient attendances (inpatient, outpatient and diagnostic) ranging from a simple outpatient appointment to major cancer surgery. This is an increase of nearly 10,000 compared to the previous year when there were 494,387 patient attendances.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
See Job Description for further details.
Recruitment selection processes are based on competence (see Person specification) and values.
Please note applicants will be required to pay for their DBS check. Costs are deducted from salary following appointment. The cost of the DBS application is �23 (standard) or �43 (enhanced), this cost will be deducted from your salary over the first three months of employment.
You are encouraged to enrol for the DBS Update Service. A small annual fee of �13 per year applies.
New entrants to the NHS will commence on the minimum of the scale stated above.
Applicants are advised to apply early as if a large number of applications are received for this post, we reserve the right to close the vacancy prior to the advertised date.
Good luck with your application.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Current and unrestricted NMC registration (Registered Adult Nurse / Registered Children's Nurse, RN Child or Registered Midwife).
- First degree in Nursing or health related subject or equivalent level of experience.
- Teaching and Assessing Qualification e.g. ENB 998 or City and Guilds 730 / current qualification in mentorship or supervision in clinical practice.
- Relevant Post-graduate qualification.
- Current Good Clinical Practice (GCP) certification (within 2 yrs)
- Masters degree or working towards.
Knowledge and experienceEssential
- Clinical Research related qualification e.g. MRes/other
- Clinical examination qualification.
- Regulatory requirements pertaining to trials.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent IT skills in the following areas: Word processing and Communication software.
- Practical experience of MS Excel/ Spreadsheets - producing multisheet tables, graphs, sorting and filtering.
- Evidence of accuracy to detail in data collection.
- Experience in line management.
- Significant recent experience in the delivery of clinical research within an NHS setting.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Experience in disciplinary management.
- Experience of Research promotion.
Countess of Chester Hospital NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Countess of Chester Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.