The children's diabetes team is looking for a Diabetes Band 6 Nurse or a Band 5 Nurse with an opportunity to progress to Band 6 role,
to support families and CYP with diabetes.
This post is 37.5 hours per week, but the diabetes team is happy to consider part-time hours if this your preference.
You will be working with the Children's Diabetes Team to deliver advice, support and education to children with diabetes and their families /carers. This will involve taking responsibility for an 'identified' caseload of children and young people with diabetes. Our Team:
It is an exciting time to join. Over the last few years, we have been expanding our team to meet the holistic needs of our families and the rapid progression of diabetes technology. This involves new roles, including a Youth Worker, a Diabetes Psychologist, a Diabetes Support Worker and a pilot for a Diabetes Intervention Worker. We are currently working on some exciting project for HCL implementation and staff training as well as first year education pathway for newly diagnosed children. Our purpose:
is to enable young people with diabetes to live healthy, happy and fulfilling lives. Our culture is to form a partnership with our patients & families, and empowering them to learn self-management skills.
If you have good interpersonal and organisational skills, enjoy a challenge and have a passion to deliver a high standard of patient care, then this is the opportunity for you!Main duties of the job
Diabetes and technology are moving fast and the vast majority of the tasks for a CYP with diabetes are now performed by smartphones and apps. We aim to:
- Provide quality clinical care, aiming always for good clinical outcomes
- Provide a quality program of education that is right for each child's developmental stage
- Enable patients to use appropriate technologies for their individual needs, ensuring equal, fair access based on need rather than demographics
- Promote the importance of maintaining emotional as well as physical health, recognising that the wider needs of CYP and families will impact on self-management
- To assist the Lead nurse specialist and the paediatric diabetes team in providing and sustaining a specialist, family-centred, evidence-based service by providing advice, education and support to hospital and community staff and to children with diabetes and their families when in hospital, at home, away from home and at school / nursery.
- To work as part of the children's diabetes team, including consultant paediatricians, children's dietitians, one Lead nurse, children's diabetes specialist nurses, a clinical psychologist, diabetes support worker, Youth Worker and a team administrator.
- Work in collaboration with the adult diabetes care teams to ensure a smooth transition from paediatric to adult care.
As an organisation, the NHS offers a wide range of benefits including flexible working, pension contributions, market leading annual leave allowance, career progression and regular conversations, not to mention NHS exclusive discounts.
The benefits of working in Somerset include the idyllic countryside, with our areas of outstanding beauty and stunning coastlines. You will get to enjoy these perks whilst still only being a stones throw away from bustling city centres like Bristol, Bath and Exeter and only two hours away from London.
There are excellent educational facilities in the area and, when compared to other regions, house prices are reasonable. You will experience the best of both in Somerset, the countryside and the cosmopolitan there is truly something for everyone!Job descriptionJob responsibilities
For more details and further information about the role, please see the attached job description and person specification.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- RSCN / RN Child.
- Diploma in health care related subject. Graduate or undertaking degree level study
- Professional or clinical qualification relevant to the speciality (eg. Children's Diabetes Modules).
- Teaching qualification. Or willingness to undertake study to complete course.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Post registration nursing experience.
Somerset NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Musgrove Park Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.