An exciting opportunity has arisen for Fetal Surveillance Midwife to join us at our Basildon Hospital site on a one year secondment.
The appointable candidate will work colloboratively with the Practice Development Team with specific focus on the coordination and development of fetal surveillance training in the Maternity Unit.
We are looking for a well organised, experienced Midwife that is passionate about implementing positive change.Main duties of the job
- The post holder will provide midwifery leadership, working collaboratively with obstetric Consultants and the midwifery practice development team to facilitate a programme aimed at increasing midwives' and obstetricians' knowledge and competence in identifying fetal well-being, escalating and managing potential foetal compromise.
- Be visible on Delivery Suite, Midwifery Led Unit, Antenatal Ward to initiate and/or lead discussion regarding fetal assessment.
- Develop the role to incorporate an understanding of fetal surveillance through ultrasound scanning. Working with the fetal medicine and antenatal lead consultants to review the fetal monitoring pathways.
- Liaise closely with obstetric and midwifery management teams and colleagues to create a constructive, positive learning environment in relation to fetal surveillance training.
- Co-ordinate the recording, monitoring and reporting of fetal monitoring training within the maternity unit, develop and maintain in-depth, evidence-based knowledge and competence in fetal surveillance, acting as a role model and source of support in this area of expertise
- Facilitate formal and ad hoc training sessions on fetal surveillance for midwives and obstetricians in profession specific and multi-disciplinary forums.
Mid and South Essex NHS Foundation Trust is now one of the largest trusts in the country, serving a population of 1.2 million people. Our newly formed Trust, comprising acute hospital sites at Broomfield in Chelmsford, Basildon and Southend, is determined to provide the best health services for its local population. We are a well-led, high-performing and innovative organisation working in the best interests of the people we serve.
With a workforce of approximately 15,000 staff, we can now do more and go further in delivering health services to our local communities.
Our ambition is to deliver excellent local and specialist services, to improve the health and wellbeing of our patients, and provide a vibrant place for staff to develop, innovate and build careers.
Patients will experience improved care as well as fewer delays and cancellations. We are able to provide more once-in-a-lifetime specialist care region-wide. With our new trust size will come more opportunities for development, research, networking and innovation.
We aim to make the most of our skills and experiences so we can become the best we can be. As one organisation we will recruit the finest and retain more specialist staff due to more employment opportunities across our Trust.
We will deliver safe and high-quality services and be an employer of choice for our workforce.
We are 'one team, working together'.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- Liaise with GPs/Social Workers/Health Visitors/Carers/and with other departments within the hospital.
- Have an active role in Choose & Book as and when require. Ensure that the Consultant and/or clinical team adhere to local protocols and government directives regarding waiting list targets i.e. ensure referral letters are graded and passed onto relevant staff in a timely manner to avoid unnecessary delays, and escalate any delays/problems to the Line Manager and/or General Manager.
- Ensure that appropriate members of the clinical team are shown the results of all investigations and that detail of abnormal results are brought to the immediate attention of the medical staff. Arrange further action as appropriate.
- Ensure that voicemail messages and other communications are dealt with promptly to ensure patients receive responses to queries without delay and that at all times duringoffice hours, callers are able to contact the department.
- Take urgent action on complaints, being proactive in order to minimise the risk of them becoming more formal, seeking advice where necessary
- Relay information in a tactful and sensitive manner between the patient and Medical Staff.
- Promote good customer relations and public image of the department.
Further details can be found on the attached job description and personal specification.Person SpecificationessentialEssential
- Experience of Physiological CTG interpretation
- 3 years post registration with experience in labour ward environment
- Degree essential
- Evidence of completion of fetal physiological training
Knowledge and ExperienceEssential
- Previous practice development or fetal surveillance role
- Working towards Masters
- Passionate about effective intrapartum fetal surveillance and improving practice
- excellent leadership skills
- Experience of Physiological CTG interpretation
- Excellent clinical skills and competences in intrapartum fetal surveillance underpinned with a sound knowledge base
- Excellent written, verbal communication, presentation, teaching and learning including reflection skills
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Excellent mediation and negotiation skills
- Delivered teaching to large groups within the MDT
Mid and South Essex NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.