Our Children's Emergency Department and 6 bedded Children Short Stay Unit, is looking for a dynamic Band 7 sister/charge nurse to join our team.
Our team of Band 7 nurses provide outstanding leadership and expertise throughout the department. We are seeking a highly motivated individual who demonstrates excellent clinical skills, significant senior paediatric emergency experience, excellent leadership qualities and a high level of organisational and communication skills to join the team. Closing date: 7th December 2023 at Midnight Interview Date: 19th December 2023Main duties of the job
The post holder will be responsible for the effective and efficient operational management of the department/ward including budget control, clinical governance, staff development and training. The post holder will be expected to provide professional leadership within the clinical area and provide direction and inspirational leadership to all members of the multi disciplinary team within the area for which they are accountable for.
The post holder will be involved in the development of protocols / guidelines and patient information.About us
Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust comprises five of the UK's best known hospitals - Guy's, St Thomas', Evelina London Children's Hospital, Royal Brompton and Harefield - as well as community services in Lambeth and Southwark, all with a long history of high quality care, clinical excellence, research and innovation.
We are among the UK's busiest, most successful foundation trusts. We provide specialist care for patients including heart and lung, cancer and renal services as well as a full range of local hospital and community services for people in Lambeth and Southwark.
We have around 22,700 staff, making us one of the largest NHS Trusts in the country and one of the biggest employers locally. We aim to reflect the diversity of the communities we serve and continue to develop new and existing partnerships with local people, patients, neighbouring NHS organisations, local authorities and charitable bodies and GPs.
We strive to recruit and retain the best staff as the dedication and skills of our employees lie at the heart of our organisation and ensure that our services are of the highest quality, safe and focused on our patients.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Lead the ward/Department team and build successful links between keyprofessionals to support and promote effective multi-disciplinary teamworking.
Manage the department nursing staff, ensuring the patients receive highquality clinical care and a good patient experience, having regard for theircustoms, religious beliefs and doctrines.
Be wholly accountable for his / her practice in line with the NMC code ofprofessional conduct and takes every reasonable opportunity to sustainand improve his / her knowledge and professional competence.
Communicate effectively and efficiently and liaise with other members ofthe multi-disciplinary team to ensure that patients receive seamless carewithin the trust.
Act as a professional nurse leader and role model to the staff. To applyclinical skills of the highest standard and to take a proactive approach tothe development of clinical competence in self and others.
Maximise use of clinical resources, implementing best practice in patientflow, admission and discharge arrangements.
Monitor monthly budget statements, identifying trends, understandingspending patterns in order to stay in budget and to take action as required.
Comply with the Trusts standing financial instructions.Ensure that the departments have adequate resources / equipment toprovide an effective service.
Develop and maintain effective channels of communication between allmembers of the multi disciplinary team.
To ensure the Matron is informed when changes to circumstances mayaffect safe competent practice.
Participate in nursing and multi professional research and audit and toimplement actions identified from quality initiatives.
Identify and intervene where circumstances contribute to an unsafeenvironment for patients and staff. To bring instances to the attention of the Matron / Head of Nursing for the area Lead and support the ward team through the process of change, demonstrating tenacity, drive, professional integrity, balance and perspective.
Deputise for the Matron as appropriate
Responsible for the correct administration of prescribed medicationincluding transfusion of blood
Responsible for the correct administration of blood products.
Be responsible for assessing and recognising emergencies in thespeciality.
To interpret information and take appropriate action and to leadothers to do the same.
Act as an advocate for patients within the department, to ensure a patientorientated approach to the delivery of care and to meet standards withinthe NHS Plan and other relevant guidelines.
Recognise and avoid situations that may be detrimental to the health andwellbeing of the individuals.
Staff Management, Education and TrainingMotivate, develop, support and identify training needs for department staff.Implement and work within the Trusts HR policies on all staffing matters,including sickness, capability and disciplinary issues. Take correctivemeasures if indicated in liaison with Human Resources and the Matron.Work with the Matron and Human Resources Department in therecruitment, selection, appointment and retention of staff.Monitor recruitment and retention and use all available strategies to retainand motivate staff e.g. flexible working policy.
Participate in appraisals and the setting of objectives for junior staff in thedepartment to enable them to achieve optimal effectiveness and tounderstand their contribution to the directorate.
Ensure that appropriate written induction programmes are available andutilised for all new staff within the department.
Working closely with the Practice Development Team, ensure that relevantclinical based teaching programmes are in place and maintain accuratetraining records.
Actively participate in teaching of junior staff and students.
Ensure that nursing staff receive appropriate training and professional education in accordance with the NMCs PREP Recommendations.Ensure that staff attend and assist in training where appropriate onmandatory training sessions and maintain accurate records of these.
Liaise with affiliated Institutes of Higher Education to ensure that thelearning environment is appropriate for both pre and post registrationlearners and undertaking any action identified through audit.
Participate in the education and assessment of staff undertaking aspecialist course or further education programmes.
Keep abreast of developments and research in Nursing Practice.
Adhere to trust and departmental policies and procedures, ensuring that allstaff do the same.
Ensure optimised skill mix within the department/ward and reviewing theskill mix as required and monitoring the use of bank and agency staff.
Assist in the investigation and timely resolution of complaints, incidentsand comments within the Pre operative Assessment Unit and SurgicalAdmissions Lounge.
Service DevelopmentLead on the implementation of the clinical and organisational model for thearea.
Lead on ensuring that the area continues to be based upon soundbusiness projections, good financial planning and delivered according toappropriate standards within financial resources.
Contribute to and to be aware of the business plan and its implication forservice delivery and nursing',
Lead on monitoring the overall activity for the area.
Identify opportunities to develop new ways of working and challenge,change and expand roles, working in conjunction with the Education andPractice Development Team/s, Matrons and Head of Nursing.
Proactively seek feedback on patient and public experience in order toaddress concerns in a timely manner and build on success.
Assist with the development, implementation and evaluation of departmental protocols ensuring coherence and consistency across bothsites.To undertake audit and monitoring of the department/ward and participatein the implementation of changes to improve service delivery.
Please see attached Job Description and Person Specification document for more details.Person SpecificationValues and BehavioursEssential
Strengths of Clinical LeadershipEssential
- Puts patients first oIs able to improve patient, client or visit experience by analysing, reviewing and redesigning processes oIs able to create a safe environment by allocating the right resources in the right place
- Takes pride in what they do oIs able to translate organisational objectives in departmental and service goals oIs able to promote and encourage and environment of continuous development
- Respects others oIs able to create a working environment where people are encouraged and supported
- Strives to be the best oIs able to prepare and plan for the future oIs able to lead change
- Acts with integrity oIs able to plan, evaluate and allocate budgets and resources oIs able to follow through appropriately Extensive experience of managing an area including management of rotas, resources, budgets and staff.
- Experience in staff / practice development including undertaking appraisals and Personal development plans
- Experience of audit / research based nursing practice Experience of resource management Experience of Clinical Supervision
- Integrity: Has the courage to do the right thing, is very honest and makes a difference.
- Ownership: loves to be in charge, has a lot of drive, and has very high standards.
- Delivery: Enjoys being on top of things, likes to be 'hands on', thrives on having lots going on, and keeps going when things are tough
- Relating: Is committed to developing others is able to recognise and support people's needs engages and leads a team through change Recognises and actively seeks appropriate support
- Is able to analyse data and identify data trends Is able to use basic Microsoft packages such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint,ence of respect others
- Is able to effectively present information to groups professional teams
- Is able to manage staffing and supply budgets affectively
- Is able to plan staff and non staffing resources effectively
- Is able to manage individual and team performance
Qualifications/ Education Professional/ Statutory RegistrationEssential
- Experience of conducting own projects successfully and follow through action
- RN1/ RN2/ RN12 or RN Child Registered Nurse on the NMC register. To hold the appropriate level for the area of specialty
- Healthcare or management/leadership degree or Masters degree or equivalent qualification/training and experience
- Evidence of ongoing professional development in relevant area of specialty supplemented by specialist clinical, managerial training and CPD
- Mentorship course
- Management qualification or equivalent experience
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Leadership development
- Masters Degree
Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation TrustAddress
St Thomas' Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.