Consultant Psychiatrist in Older Adult Services Permanent, 10PAs
We have an exciting Consultant Psychiatrist role in London working with Older People Services within our inpatient unit. This is a full-time job (10 PAs) role based in Hillingdon, working with 2 GP trainees and a higher specialist trainee.
There is a well-resourced multi-disciplinary team. You will have a dedicated office and IT access. There is scope for academic work with Brunel Medial School.
The candidate should on the GMC Specialist Register or be within 6 months of obtaining CCT at the time of interview.
This post attracts a generous annual leave entitlement, study leave, the NHS pension scheme and other financial benefits, such as 'Golden Hello'for up to 30K, Relocation package for up to 8K (terms and conditions apply)
and a range of lifestyle benefits, such as staff discounts the purchase and lease of new cars. Further Information & Arrangements to visit:
Dr Andrea Tocca, Clinical Director, Associate Medical Director for Place Integration & Consultant Psychiatrist
T: 01895 484 795Main duties of the job
The main responsibilities would be assessing and managing patients with acute and chronic psychiatric conditions including dementia and psychiatric functional illnesses in the inpatient setting and ensuring that interventions are provided in a sensitive, accessible and culturally appropriate way. You would be required to provide clinical leadership within the multi-disciplinary team. The Oaktree team form a part of the wider Older People's Mental Health Service in Hillingdon, which also has a CMHT, Home Treatment, and Memory services. The postholder will also work closely with these teams.There are a number of transformative changes occuring within older people's services and the NHS at large. You would be expected to lead on, in partnership with the Clinical Lead and Matron, quality improvement initiatives and service evaluation projects.
Oak Tree ward is a modern 17-bedded en-suite unit which comprises doctors, qualified psychiatric nurses, occupational therapist, psychologist and health care assistants, providing assessment and treatment predominately for older people with complex or acute mental health needs, enabling a return to independent living wherever possible. Oak Tree ward is located on the Hillingdon Hospital site in Woodland Centre, which also accommodates all Older Adult services, including CMHT, Home Treatment Service and Memory Service.About us
Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust is one of the largest specialist Mental Health Trusts in England, providing a wide range of mental health and physical health services. You will work in an organisation that is in the top 100 employers in the UK and prides itself on the diversity of its staff and the care it delivers. It supports flexible and remote working (where appropriate) and actively supports the well-being of its staff.
Our organisation that is passionate about equality, diversity and inclusion one that prides itself in developing the leadership capabilities of its employees, looking after their health and wellbeing, creating safe spaces for staff to speak up and providing opportunities to mentor and be mentored.
We offer flexible working too, which can fit around family and caring responsibilities, or training and development.
If you are interested in becoming a member of our Foundation Trust please visit our website.
www.cnwl.nhs.ukJob descriptionJob responsibilities
Person SpecificationQualifications and TrainingEssential
- Assessing and managing patients (including investigations and treatment) with acute and chronic psychiatric conditions including dementia and psychiatric functional illnesses in the inpatient setting and ensuring that interventions are provided in a sensitive, accessible and culturally appropriate way.
- All interventions should be in line with NICE guidance and other widely-accepted guidelines, with which the post holder must be well versed.
- All service users should be managed towards recovery where possible, and in all cases in a way that optimises their bio-psychosocial functioning and dignity.
- The post holder is required to provide clinical leadership within the multi-disciplinary team and clinical advice or supervision where needed.
- The post holder is required to undertake assessments under the Mental Capacity Act (MCA) including Deprivation of liberty safeguarding (DoLS) as appropriate.
- The post holder will undertake work under the Mental Health Act including the functions of a Responsible Clinician (RC) where required.
- The post holder will be the RC for all patients admitted to Oak Tree ward. At times, due to clinical need and presentation, it may be necessary to admit an adult patient to the older adult ward. This will be done in consultation and agreement with the Older adult and adult consultants and ward managers.
- The post holder will be expected to lead on, in partnership with the Clinical Lead and Matron, quality improvement initiatives and service evaluation projects and will be encouraged to undertake any research and audit that may be relevant to either short or long-term service improvement.
- The post holder will attend and take an active role in the regular Clinical Team meetings that take place within the service.
- The post holder will ensure that accurate and up to date electronic records are kept of all clinical activity, and that letters and summaries are sent promptly to referring GPs, other colleagues and agencies.
- The post holder will line manage and supervise both junior doctors on the ward. The Specialist Trainee is supervised by the community consultant psychiatrist
- Fully registered with the GMC with a licensbee to practice
- On GMC Specialist Register or within 6 months of completion of obtaining CCT at the time of interview
- Approved under section 12(2) MHA, 1983 or be within 3 months of completion
- Approved Clinician status
- MRCPsych or equivalent
- CCT in Old Age Psychiatry
- Management training/qualifications
- Recognised Royal College of Psychiatrists specialist registrar trainer.
- Up-to-date knowledge in management of adults with learning disability
- Awareness of current issues in mental health service provision, policy and legislation.Specialist interest as demonstrated by publications or presentations to learned societies
- Knowledge of current issues in national strategic direction
- Application of evidence-based practice and interest in clinical and policy developments for this care group.
- Development of close collaboration with general hospital services
- Ability to work within a collaborative multidisciplinary framework, and to share leadership responsibilities with senior colleagues of other professions
- Ability to promote effective team working.
- Active participation in clinical audit
- Must have good skills in communication with patients, relatives/carers, colleagues and staff of other organisations.
- Experience in supervising basic and advanced level psychiatric trainees
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Relevant experience of the administrative, management and leadership roles of senior medical staff
- Undergraduate and postgraduate medical teaching.
- Research experience and skills
Central and North West London NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Oak Tree Ward, Woodland Centre, Hillingdon Hospital
Pield Heath Road
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.