Come and take the next step in your career and join our team as a Specialist Haematology and Antenatal Screening Service Lead Biomedical Scientist at Ipswich Hospital.
We are looking for an experienced Biomedical Scientist to manage and work in the Special Haematology section of Blood Sciences where you will work closely with the Haematology team, consultants and midwives at Colchester and Ipswich Hospital.
About our Pathology Service
You will have need to have either a specialist portfolio in Haematology or a Masters in Haematology with at least proven significant post registration experience within the discipline for this post.
Our vision is to deliver innovations, high-performing pathology services that is focussed on our customers and delivers high quality and fully compliant services.
We are clinically led and designed to achieve the benefits of scale that can be achieved by working together to meet our service users needs and support the excellent clinical care provided by our hospitals.
We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining the best pathology staff. You will play an integral part in the development of the Haematology team and their careers.
If you want to work with us to develop your career and help us achieve our vision then we would like to hear from you.Main duties of the job
Duties of this specialist role include the below, therefore it would be beneficial for you to already have some experience:
- Using BioRad Variant II beta thal short programme, use of, interpretation, troubleshooting good knowledge of limitations.
- Manual haemoglobin electrophoresis methods including troubleshooting.
- Using of QPulse, including for the use of document control, change control and investigating incidents, supporting staff with audit.
- Knowing when testing of additional individuals is required such as baby's biological father, when other individuals should be tested and what to do when no suitable individual or material is available.
- Following screening processes for the reporting all screening results in concordance with programme standards.
- Performing risk assessments for screen positive results.
- Knowing when DNA analysis is require, have knowledge of sample and consent requirements.
- Recognising when matters may need to be escalated and appropriate routes for such
- Generating reports using Word, Excel etc. Will report to the commissioners and local programme meetings.
- Knowledge of LabCentre
- Ensuring compliance with EQA & IQC expectations.
- Errors will be shared openly and honestly with the screening teams/commissioners as appropriate.
- Collating data for KPI submissions and report to the screening teams.
- Collective responsibility for the management of staff within all Haematology.
One of the largest Trust's in East Anglia, East Suffolk and North Essex NHS Foundation Trust (ESNEFT) provide hospital and community health services to people living across a wide geographical area. We deliver care from two main hospitals in Colchester and Ipswich, six community hospitals and in patients' own homes. You will be joining a team of almost 12,000 amazing colleagues providing care to approximately a million people.
Along with supporting you to achieve your career goals we offer a generous pension scheme, unsocial hours payments (if applicable), 27 days annual leave on commencement (pro rata) and access to a range of NHS discounts. Our Staff Health and Wellbeing programme offer a variety of services. We offer a range of flexible working opportunities.
Our philosophy is that Time Matters to everyone. Across the Trust, we concentrate on improving the things we do and removing those which do not work or cause time delays for our staff and patients.
To support our employees to achieve their career aspirations you may be eligible to obtain a qualification via an apprenticeship. All successful applicants will be required to undertake a skills review to facilitate this. For full details please see the attached Apprenticeship Handbook.
If you are passionate about patient care and want to develop your skills and knowledge then we are keen to hear from you.
Find out about living and working with us - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkPu7HphU8AJob descriptionJob responsibilities
For full details of the responsibilities and duties of this role please see the attached job description.Person SpecificationEducationEssential
- HCPC Registration as a Biomedical Scientist
- Biomedical Science Degree or equivalent
- Appropriate Post Graduate qualifications
- Additional appropriate specialist qualification if required.
- Evidence of CPD
- Blood Transfusion FIBMS/further education/learning
Knowledge & ExperienceEssential
- Holding or working towards a qualification that supports management responsibilities such as health and safety, training officer, or quality management associated with post
- Highly specialist knowledge and experience across a range of work procedures and practices underpinned by theory and practice relevant to post
- Extensive practical experience of working in a Biomedical Science laboratory
- Experience of managing people
- Experience of Pathology IT systems
- Practical experience of Quality Management and Quality Management Systems
- Experience of performing and evaluating Risk Assessments
Employer detailsEmployer name
- European Computer Driving Licence or equivalent
- Previous relevant experience of working in the NHS
East Suffolk and North Essex NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.