The Site Operations Team at Bedford Hospital covers a 24/7 service working from the Operations Centre.
The Bed Manager's role contributes to the smooth running of the Trust by managing the flow of patients from admission to discharge, making best use of the Trusts bed availability and supporting maximum performance of key national Targets, whilst promoting best patient experience through appropriate use of beds ensuring the right patient in the right place at the right time.
The Bed Manager role will support the Site Managers in risk assessing patients for admission or transfer and act as a first point of contact for ward staff on capacity and flow issues.
You will have the ability to multitask, organise your own workload whilst remaining calm under pressure and enjoy a challenge. The work is varied requiring an organised approach, attention to detail and strong skills in communication.Main duties of the job
- To continually monitor and co-ordinate capacity and flow throughout the Trust
- To make regular visits to the wards to maintain an accurate bed state, monitoring actual and potential discharges in conjunction with nursing staff in each clinical area/department
- To collect and collate data for Operational Site reports
- To report capacity and flow information to site meetings to enable planning and management for the utilisation of in-patient beds
- To ensure Bed Management clinical systems are kept updated and accurate
- Use operational and or clinical knowledge, to risk assess appropriate patients for transfer to outlying and escalation areas as require
Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust provides hospital services to a growing population of around 700,000 people living across Bedfordshire and the surrounding areas across two busy hospital sites in Bedford and Luton. Both hospital sites offer key services such as A& E, Obstetrics-led Maternity and Paediatrics.
You will be joining a friendly, high performing Trust committed to ensuring the health and wellbeing of staff. As one of the largest NHS Trusts in our region you will have access to a programme of high quality training and development to help you grow your career.
We have state-of-the art facilities placing us at the heart of cutting edge health care. The Trust continues to be committed to delivering the best patient care using the best clinical knowledge and technology available.
Please note that vacancies may close prior to the advertised closing date when sufficient number of applications have been received. Please ensure that you make your application as soon as possible.
All new staff will be subject to a probationary period covering their first six months in post. Travel between hospital sites may be required.
Please review all documents attached to this advert to ensure you familiarise yourself with all requirements of the job.Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesThe Job Description and Person Specification are attached to this job, please review for the full details and responsibilities.
- To support in maintenance of all key national targets, ensuring prompt escalation of any risks to targets.
- Facilitate and support wards with prompt turnover of beds as patients are discharged
- To ensure effective early use of Discharge Lounge for all appropriate patients
- To co - ordinate the effective use discharge transport and escalate any potential delays or cancellations of discharge.
- To support and troubleshoot escalated issues for patient pathways, supporting clinical areas in promoting best patient experience.
- To initiate actions for any Infection Control issues reported liaising with the Infection control team and continued management of isolation rooms as required
- To be aware of the role of the Bed Manager in the occurrence of Major & Internal Critical Incidents
- To support the Site Manager with clinical support to all areas out of hours
- Registered Nurse with post registration experience
- Teaching/Education qualification
- Experience of working in an acute setting and managing flow
- Experience of managing at ward level
- Previous Bed Management experience
- Demonstrates awareness of operational flow within an acute hospital
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Ability to work independently and prioritise workload
- Ability to perform effectively under pressure while delivering high quality outcomes within agreed timescales
Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Bedford Hospital NHS Trust
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.