An exciting opportunity for a full time Band 7 Clinical Specialist Occupational Therapist has arisen within the integrated discharge team team at the Royal Sussex County Hospital. The team provides rapid and comprehensive assessment to patients in the A& E Department, Acute Admissions Unit (AAU) and two short stay wards.
The Integrated Discharge Team consists of Occupational therapists, Physiotherapists, Discharge Coordinators and Rehab Assistants. The team works within the integrated model creating a seamless service across Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy, enabling an efficient journey for the patients.
The successful candidate should be pro-active, flexible and demonstrate excellent communication, clinical and organisational skills required to lead and manage in a fast paced environment, working on providing excellent assessment, discharge planning and placing a key focus on admission avoidance. We offer:
Main duties of the job
- A supportive working environment with regular supervision and CPD opportunities.
- Various opportunities for learning and development of both clinical and managerial skills to ensure continuing development of both individuals and the team.
- Involvement in Service Development
The Clinical Specialist Occupational Therapist Lead for IDT is responsible for working closely with the Head of Occupational Therapy, Occupational Therapy Professional lead, other Occupational Therapy Team Leads and relevant clinical colleagues / managers to ensure:
About us Join us at UHSussex, every day is different, you can be the change, better never stops
- The provision of leadership, supervision professional consultation, guidance and advice to the IDT Occupational Therapy Team
- The planning, delivery, evaluation and review of an effective Occupational Therapy service by the Team to IDT patients at the Royal Sussex County Hospital, holding responsibility for defined projects.
- The professional representation of Occupational Therapy in the planning, development and evaluation of clinical services within our IDT service, holding responsibility for defined projects in agreement with the Head of Occupational Therapy and Professional Lead
- The management of a caseload of clients with complex needs, using evidence-based and client-centred principles to assess, plan implement and evaluate interventions with a specific aim of avoiding unnecessary admissions and facilitating timely discharges for patients with complex health, mental health, and social care needs.
- To work across A& E, Acute Assessment Unit (AAU), two Short Stay Wards and the rest of level 5 as required.
- To play an active role in the further implementation and rolling out of a front door seven-day service model.
- To participate in a 7-day rota including bank holiday and weekend cover.
At UHSussex we're proud to be at the heart of the NHS. As one of theUK's largest acute Trusts, we're a leading example of the excellence, the ambition and the values that have embodied the NHS for over 70 years. Improving lives:
We are a vibrant and inclusive organisation, with hardworking, talented and dedicated individuals, who work together towards a common goal, to always put ourPatient First. Our mission is summed up by our 'where better never stops' motto and no matter the role at UHSussex, you will play a part in driving us forwards and in improving the lives of patients across Sussex. We treat our patients and staff with the same compassion and empathy we expect for ourselves. We're here for them when they need us, and we go above and beyond to meet their needs. This can be seen in ourwellbeing programmefor staff which is extensive and designed to support you when you need it because we know that to look after others we must first look after ourselves. Build a career with us:
As a university trust and a leader in healthcare research, we value learning, teaching and training so that we can be the best that we can be. From the moment you start with us and throughout your career we will help you to grow and develop. We hope that in choosing UHSussex you are choosing a long and happy career where you will be able to see the difference you make and feel valued for all that you doJob descriptionJob responsibilities
Attached you will find the job description and person specification which provides more detail about the essential and desirable skills and experience needed for this role.
We highly recommend you view this document and use it when completing the application as these criteria are used by hiring managers as guidance during shortlisting. Person SpecificationExperience & QualificationsEssential
- Professional qualification in Occupational Therapy
- Experience of supervising less experienced staff and students
- HCPC Registered
- Fieldwork supervisor / placement practice educator training
- Experience in managing a team
- Highly specialist knowledge of anatomy and physiology to underpin relevant clinical skills
- Knowledge of an integrated therapy model
- Recruitment and Selection training and experience
- Experience in handling complaints and disputes
- Training in leadership and management
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritise and remain calm in a crisis
- Excellent negotiation skills/communication skills related to difficult clinical or team management issues
- Self-motivated and able to support, lead and motivate others within a team
- Excellent Professional skills to inform suitability for discharge from hospital care and associated risk
People Management and DevelopmentEssential
- Experience at clinical specialist/team leader level within the speciality
- Experience in strategic planning and formulating business plans
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Experience of Supervising and conducting Appraisals with staff and students
- Ability to undertake team leadership roles where appropriate, including staff management
- Experience in assessment of competency of other members of staff and managing poor performance
- Being responsive and resilient to change clinically and non - clinically
University Hospitals Sussex NHS Foundation Trust (279)Address
Royal Sussex County Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.