As the Communications and Engagement Officer, you will provide comprehensive professional communications and engagement support to the Communications Team.
This will include undertaking engagement projects with internal and external stakeholder groups to gather feedback about Trust activities.Main duties of the job
You will produce engaging and high-quality communications content to support internal and external promotions and campaigns across all of our workstreams. This content includes text, graphics and other rich media that will be used across all our channels: staff intranet, newsletters, social media posts, posters, leaflets, corporate publications, patient and student information, corporate marketing collateral, email marketing campaigns and conference displays. As part of this you will obtain quotes and coordinate print and design work, and use a variety of tools including Microsoft Word and the Adobe Creative Suite (including InDesign and Photoshop).
You will build relationships at all levels across the Trust to support our internal and external communications work.About us
The Communications Team
We are a small, experienced and dynamic team working to destigmatise mental health and make the case for the value of relational and talking therapies. We are responsible for managing all aspects of the communications for the organisation, internal and external, across all channels. We work closely together on a portfolio basis, sharing our skills and expertise to teach and learn from one another. In this way we strive to be resilient and to allow every team member to grow in their role as they work to protect and enhance the reputation of the Trust.
Our commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion
The Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust is committed to equality, diversity and inclusion. We are particularly keen to attract candidates from underrepresented backgrounds to better meet the needs of the service users and students that we serve.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
You will be creative, resilient and team-oriented, with a passion for delivering outstanding integrated campaigns, while working collaboratively within brand guidelines. You will have a strong interest in engagement and two-way communications techniques, internal communications, digital communications, and crafting copy and visuals that create interest, desire and action. Common tasks
- Develop and deliver content (digital and print) supporting internal and external Trust engagement campaigns
- Work closely with internal stakeholders to generate material for our internal and social media channels to promote the work of the Trust and its staff and ensure that content is creative, relevant and kept up-to-date
- Examine the effectiveness of comms and engagement activity and work with colleagues to develop and maintain efficient policies around activity for example scheduling, content, platforms etc
- Undertake stakeholder research. Investigate and analyse data to inform decisions, establishing basic trends and patterns in data and creating recommendation reports as appropriate
- Use the insight gained from these analyses, to modify and tailor outputs for external and internal audiences and stakeholder groups
- Prep, run and record engagement sessions with a range of stakeholders
Designing and developing communications materials
- Produce high quality communications content using Adobe InDesign, Premiere and Photoshop, including: videos and podcasts, social media content, posters, leaflets, corporate publications, staff briefing materials, patient and student information, corporate marketing collateral and conference displays
- Develop collateral, including photography and graphics to support campaigns or other communications projects
Working with key stakeholders
- Provide sensitive and nuanced handling for potentially contentious issues, including briefing and supporting spokespeople, developing reactive lines and supervising interviews
- Draft news stories and press releases for approval by the Communications Manager or Director
Monitoring and updating our internal channels
- Write news stories for our internal channels, including the Chief Executives weekly update and the Trustwide weekly Digest
- Update our intranet and public websites, using a variety of content management systems including Wordpress, Wagtail and micorsoft ASP.NET-based intranets
- Use massmailer technology such as Pure360 by Spotler
Looking at metrics from these channels to continuously improve the channels
- Attend meetings and events to represent the communications and engagement team
- Manage and keep all logging systems up to date including internal support enquiries, and the publications log and archive
- Support the team by administrating meetings including booking rooms, taking minutes and circulating papers.
- Actively monitor and keep the communications inbox up to date.
- Oversee and carry out mail shots, as required.
- Maintain stock control safe use of expensive equipment/ purchase of some assets, supplies (eg photography and filming accessories, branded collateral)
- Work flexibly, sometimes working outside normal working hours during campaigns and events or at particularly busy times.
- Contribute to the smooth running of the department.
- Perform any other duties commensurate with the grade of the post, as directed by the Head of Communications and Engagement.
This job description is an indication of the type and range of tasks that are expected of the post holder. It can be reviewed and amended in consultation with the post holder to take account of changing organisational need.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Education to degree level or evidence of equivalent experience (to include some professional marketing, communications and knowledge of design techniques)
- Experience of taking a proactive role in managing day to day administration of an office and acting on own initiative
- Experience of managing spreadsheets and databases and keeping logging systems up to date
- Experience of working within communications
Skills and knowledgeEssential
- Experience of working in an NHS or Higher Education setting
- Evidence of securing positive responses to communications campaigns/initiatives
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including ability to assimilate information and draft copy for a variety of platforms to engage a range of audiences
- Knowledge and skills in market research and use of data / web analysis tools for example Google Analytics
- Attention to detail and ability to proofread
- Ability to write and present correspondence to professional standard
- Excellent IT skills including the use of Microsoft Office, and web content management skills
- Can demonstrate an understanding of internal and external communications, including the principles of engagement
- Proven ability to develop networks, create connections, support colleagues and engage stakeholders in order to contribute to long term developments
- Excellent planning and organisation skills
- Able to multitask and set goals for completion
- Experience with Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Premiere Pro
Employer detailsEmployer name
- An interest in mental health and emotional wellbeing
- Willing to work outside of hours on occasion to support delivery of events
Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation TrustAddress
120 Belsize Lane
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.