Are you an experienced Fitter/Plumber looking for a new challenge? Want to work in place where you'll make a real difference with the bonus of regular pay and hours?
We're looking for a new Mechanical Technician (Fitter/Plumber) to join our Estates team at Sheffield's Northern General Hospital.
Estates play a crucial role in keeping our hospitals and services running. From essential power, heating, plumbing and mechanical systems, to the inside and outside of our buildings and grounds, Estates staff make sure these are safe and well-maintained for our patients, visitors, and other staff.
Our staff have a wide range of expertise and skills - from construction trades and technical skills, building and site management, surveying, and more. Together they carry out vital inspections, maintenance, and repairs across our sites, so that we can keep giving excellent care to our patients.
This is a full-time position, with typical hours of 8am to 4pm Monday to Friday. There's also plenty of opportunity for training and development, including learning skills outside of your core trade (City and Guilds NVQ), training for Authorised Person (AP) status, as well as more niche courses such as medical gases and small pool operating.Main duties of the job
To undertake repair works and general planned preventative maintenance work on Hospital systems, including day-to-day repairs of plumbing, heating, and mechanical systems to a high standard and in compliance with the relevant regulations.
You'll also work alongside other staff and tradespersons, such as building, electrical, to carry out and complete works.
Day-to-day you'll use be responsible for repairing and maintaining heating, hot and cold water, and plumbing systems across the hospital site. As part of our friendly and highly experienced Operational Team, you'll also support other Estates colleagues - including managers, technicians, engineers, and those with other trades - to deliver excellent standards of work and service.About us
You will be working for an organisation which values and respects all of its staff and the community it serves. The Trust is a leader in the NHS and research sectors and provides excellent benefits for its staff. This includes a firm commitment to professional development of it's staff together with the provision of an excellent health and well-being support service.Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesPlease view the attached Job Description and Person Specification documents for full details regarding this post. When completing your application please ensure that you clearly demonstrate how you meet the role criteria.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Knowledge of Estates maintenance procedures (electrical or mechanical) acquired via taught courses and relevant experience to graduate professional level, or equivalent.
- ONC / City and Guilds /NVQ3 along with relevant experience demonstrating knowledge at a technician level.
- Completion of a recognised trade CITB/EITB apprenticeship in an appropriate craft plus a high degree of versatility and demonstrable experience in a similar technical discipline at NVQ3.
- Competent Person in one or more of the specialist areas of HV/LV, Medical Gas, Ventilation, Decontamination, Water Safety Relevant to the post skill set.
- HNC in a relevant Engineering subject
- Extensive experience in an industrial or contracting role
- Extensive experience of working in a Building Services Operational environment on the full range of craft duties including maintenance, fault finding and installation.
- Experience in complex Engineering Services maintenance with a demonstrable track record of competence and ability to take the lead.
- Experience of taking an active role in Emergency contingency planning procedures for example Standby Generators or other back up systems
- Recognised Craft Apprenticeship
- Be trained and competent to use workshop equipment
- Good knowledge of Health and Safety, Asbestos, COSHH, Confined Spaces, Electrical safety
- Experience gained in Healthcare establishment(s)
- Experience in the preparation of designs, estimates and project management of maintenance works and small projects.
- Supervisory experience
- The ability to interpret NHS guidance and statutory requirements into practical maintenance policies.
- The ability to interpret the client's requirements into effective solutions.
- Knowledge, understanding of Health Technical Memoranda and other guidance as it relates to the Estate Management function.
- Awareness and knowledge of the CDM Regulations
- Maintenance, Fault finding, repair, validation and testing across a range of equipment as may be specific to the job for example Decontamination equipment, Laundry, equipment, Dental Chairs and equipment, HV/LV electrical distribution and back up equipment, Ventilation equipment, Medical Gas.
- Must be prepared to undertake training as required to achieve the full potential of the position to a minimum at competent person level
- Must be willing to undertake training on BMS systems and associated services.
- Up to Authorised Person level.
- Good communicator with excellent interpersonal skills
- Computer literate
- Planning skills.
- Able to plan own work load be flexible and prioritise tasks
- Understanding of the need to maintain confidentiality
Desirable Employer detailsEmployer name
- Must be passionately and enthusiastically committed to provision of a high quality, responsive maintenance service.
- Must be self-motivated and able to work with the minimum of supervision
- Availability outside of normal working hours (if required)
- Prepared to provide cover to Chargehands and Shifts as the need arises
- Work at any of the Trust Properties
Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Northern General Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.