Due to exciting changes to our emergency pathways, we have the opportunity to welcome additional Deputy Sisters/Charge Nurses to work with us on the Surgical Triage Unit and C31. We are looking for experienced and motivated registered nurses to join our team, particularly those with a keen interest in emergency general surgery, HPB, Colorectal, ENT, Max Fax and Vascular specialities.Main duties of the job
The Surgical Triage Unit (STU) receives surgical patients for assessment from GP practices, the Emergency Department, EMAS & other primary care areas. The role of the Deputy Sister/Charge Nurse on STU is to co-ordinate the flow of patients through the unit, ensuring that patients are welcomed, managed in a safe and timely manner, receive the tests and scans they require and move on through the hospital to the appropriate location. They ensure that the nursing team is supported throughout the shift and manage any issues or concerns as they arise.
Ward C31 is a busy 32 bedded general surgical admissions ward, receiving patients from STU as well as the Emergency Department and other areas. Generally a short stay area, patients come to us with a wide range of surgical conditions and then move on to the speciality wards in the hospital. The role of the Deputy Sister/Charge Nurse on C31 is again to co-ordinate the flow of patients and ensure the smooth running of each shift.About us
With over 17,000 staff, we are one of the biggest employers in the city with a central role in supporting the health and wellbeing of our local population. We play a leading role in research, education and innovation.Come and join our wonderful team at NUH. We are big believers in diversity and welcome new ideas to help develop our team in order to deliver world class healthcare to the vast patient populations we serve. With endless personal development opportunities available, at NUH we will endeavour to turn your job into a career!We particularly welcome applications from people who identify as Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic, or Disabled, as we are striving to be better represented at NUH.
In addition to the below summary, you'll need to familiarize yourself with full Job Description and Person Specification documents attached to this advert.
The emergency surgical admissions team is a large, varied, friendly team to work with! We pride ourselves on being welcoming and valuing the individual, whilst also working together with excellence under pressure.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
As a Deputy Sister/Charge Nurse, you will be required to:
Act as the deputy to the ward sister/charge nurse, regularly taking charge of the ward and ensuring that the standards and quality of care given to patients, together with the environment in which care is delivered, are maintained at a high standard.
Be an effective leader and role model and will be expected to provide regular direct clinical care and use experience to support the implementation of both clinical and non-clinical governance.
Work flexibly as a member of the ward team and in support of the Ward Sister/Charge Nurse to ensure standards are being maintained, evaluated, and where necessary improved.Person SpecificationTraining and QualificationsEssential
- Current NMC Registration
- Diploma or Degree in Nursing
Values & BehavioursEssential
- Relevent specialist study
- Possession of a Mentoring course or Supervisor/Assessor training
- Must be able to demonstrate behaviours consistent with the Trust's We are here for you behavioural standards.
- Experience at Band 5 for 18 months minimum
- Supervision of non-registered staff, pre-registration students and newly qualified staff.
Communication and Relationship SkillsEssential
- Experience in link role
- Experience in audit or research work in clinical area
- Recent or current experience within the specialty.
- Demonstrate effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Recognition of own level of competence and limitations and able to communicate these to appropriate staff
Analytical and JudgmentskillsEssential
- Demonstration of team working and ability to work within a team
- Demonstrate evidence of providing formal teaching sessions.
- Ability to identify own learning needs
- Able to respond to problem situations and to ensure that effective interventions are put in place
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Demonstrate a knowledge of current issues related to the NHS policies.
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS TrustsAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.