* Please note that this advert may close at any time and without notice. You are therefore advised to submit your application as soon as possible.
Considering joining our team? Our modern, purpose-built City Hospital first opened in 2010, with our UKAS accredited Microbiology department staffed by a friendly, busy and professional team of highly motivated BMS, and ATO support workers, dealing with around half a million samples per year.
The laboratory work encompasses the usual areas of Bacteriology, Parasitology, Mycology and Serology as well as a specialist Diagnostic Molecular testing suite.
Our Department is an IBMS registered training facility, offering support for Registration and Specialist Portfolios as well as the Higher Specialist Diploma. Staff are encouraged to undertake further training and development and, if interested, undertake roles in the laboratory quality management system.Main duties of the job
For Senior Biomedical Scientist roles you should be HCPC registered, hold a Master's Degree in Biomedical Science or equivalent, and be a member of the Institute of Biomedical Science with experience at Band 6 BMS level or above or equivalent. You must be well versed in the workings of a routine Microbiology Laboratory and have highly developed specialist knowledge of both theoretical and practical microbiology.
You will need to be enthusiastic and highly motivated, computer literate, have a high level of interpersonal, organisational and communication skills, be able to supervise and motivate staff, and be familiar with working to UKAS standards. This post includes a significant level of Health & Safety responsibility within Microbiology to ensure compliance with policies and legislation the candidate will require some interest and capability in this field
The department operates a 7 day week roster and an extended working day (08:00 to 20:00) in which you will be required to participate. You will also be required to provide support for the weekend rota in rotation with other senior staff. There is a night shift which you will be expected to support to fill gaps, along with the other senior staff.About us
Our teams work hard to be flexible and promote a health work/home life balance and so agile working options are automatically considered for all roles within the Trust. Talk to the Recruiting Manager about what this means in practice for you. Your package with us includes a lot more than just your pay and here area few of the additional benefits that are available to you as an employee:
- Access to the NHS Pension Scheme
- Generous Holiday Entitlement, starting at 27 days a year (for full time workers) plus bank/public holidays
- Free staff car parking on all our hospital sites during this financial year
- In-house Physiotherapy Services
- Career development and training opportunities
- Emotional Wellbeing Service covering a range of online support, access to mobile apps and 24/7 counselling services
- Subsidised meals at our hospital restaurants
- Access to exclusive discounts, cashback and vouchers via NHS Discounts and Blue Light Card
If you share our values and vision and are passionate about working with people on what matters to them, you could be a real asset to Team North West Anglia Job descriptionJob responsibilities
To practice as a Registered Biomedical Scientist and to contribute to the scientific output of the Service, in a manner appropriate to the professional experience of the post holder, performing test procedures often of a complex nature, accurately recording, reporting and validating results.
To manage any re-alignments of elements of service provision, in close co-operation with the Head BMS, Clinical Microbiology, the Operational Manager and Consultant Microbiologists, the Departmental Management teams and the Pathology Service Manager.
To manage and co-ordinate, on rotation, the day to day activities of a section of the Microbiology service, in order to provide a timely and responsive diagnostic service to patients, and to perform Technical and Clinical authorisation as required to agreed protocols
To function as the departmental Health & Safety Officer, working closely with the Operational Manager to ensure that the department maintains and improves on all aspects of Health and Safety.
For further information, please refer to the Job DescriptionPerson SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Current HCPC Registration
- MSc, or IBMS Higher Specialist Diploma, or equivalent
- Member of the Institue of Biomedical Sciences
- Chartered Scientist status or eligible to apply
- Recognised H& S qualification
- Recognised management qualification
- Evidence of experience and proficiency in audit processes
- Some experience in a management/supervisory position with in the laboratory discipline.
- Ability to manage, motivate and train staff.
- Experience in a management/supervisory position with in the laboratory discipline.
- Highly developed specialist knowledge of Microbiology practice underpinned by theoretical and practical experience.
- Awareness of current professional issues.
- Familiarity with CPA/UKAS systems and standards.
- To have a sound knowledge of H& S requirements
- High level of interpersonal skills.
- Able to motivate staff and encourage a team culture.
- Able to master complex facts, reach appropriate conclusions and formulate required/relevant responses.
- Able to implement policies and procedures within the constraints set by the laboratory, Trust and other regulating and professional bodies.
- Literate in laboratory computerisation and PC office applications.
- Evidence of Quality training/competency
- Able to plan and organise activities
- Highly developed physical skills required with ability to maintain prolonged concentration and accuracy
- Articulate with good communication and sound presentation skills.
- Knowledge of CSC/Telepath LIMS system.
- Good practical knowledge of health & safety issues including COSHH, fire regulations and risk assessments.
- Knowledge of current national training guidelines/requirements for BMS and laboratory staff
- To be in good general health
- To be enthusiastic, positive, highly motivated and flexible
- Be able to relate well to all levels of personnel
- Able participate in the departmental night shift and 7-day services.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Be licensed and able to drive
North West Anglia NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Peterborough City Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.