Are you an enthusiastic, motivated Dietitian with a passion for the nutritional management of paediatrics or respiratory conditions?
Then this may be the role for you!
Due to maternity leave there are two
vacancies at the Royal Brompton Team. These posts offer the chance to develop specialist skills in paediatric respiratory medicine/ Cystic Fibrosis. The post is based in our department at the central London Royal Brompton site (Chelsea) of Guys and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust. We are looking for a band 6 or a band 7, based on experience. Due to the hours available from the two posts, we will consider full and part-time working. Secondment will also be considered. This post will only be until September 2024.
The successful candidate will be supported by friendly and dynamic team of paediatric dietitians within the multidisciplinary team. These posts would be ideal for someone who has either experience in paediatrics and/or cystic fibrosis and respiratory dietetics.
The post holder will have the opportunity to participate in national cystic fibrosis events and develop specialist skills in cardiac and paediatric intensive care. Due to the strong commitment to evidence-based practice throughout the Trust, CPD will be well-supported, and involvement in audit, research and policy development is encouraged and facilitated.Main duties of the job
The post holder will provide a specialist dietetic service to paediatric respiratory patients, the majority patients with Cystic Fibrosis or complex respiratory disease. The post holder will have some cross over with the cardiac dietetic team providing support to the paediatric intensive care team during times of dietetic leave. The post holder will attend relevant ward rounds, clinical multi-disciplinary team meetings and psycho-social meetings. They will attend paediatric Cystic Fibrosis out-reach clinics and regular Cystic Fibrosis and Allergy outpatient clinics in addition to their inpatient caseload.
There is a training remit, for both staff and patients on site and external lectures. The post-holder will work in conjunction with the paediatric respiratory multi-disciplinary team in preparing and delivering study days for clinical staff who work at district general hospitals who have a shared care remit for paediatric patients with Cystic Fibrosis. There may also be opportunity, as part of the CF multi-disciplinary team to provide expert advice in the form of international outreach clinics and teaching sessions to CF patients, care providers and carers.
Other teaching activities involve informal talks to nurses and medical staff on the wards, participation in student training and student study days and other courses run by the Department or HospitalAbout usAbout us
Royal Brompton and Harefield hospitals joined Guy's and St Thomas' in February 2021 and is the largest specialist heart and lung centre in the UK and among the largest in Europe. We provide treatment for people with heart and lung disease, including rare and complex conditions, offering some of the most sophisticated treatment that is available anywhere in the world.
Our integrated approach to caring for patients from before birth, through childhood, adolescence and into adulthood and old age has been replicated around the world and has gained Royal Brompton and Harefield an international reputation as a leader in heart and lung diagnosis, treatment and research.
We are working in partnership with King's Health Partners, to deliver our vision of creating a new centre of excellence, which will be the global leader in the research into and treatment of heart and lung disease, in patients from pre-birth to old age.
We have around 22,700 staff, making us one of the largest NHS Trusts in the country and one of the biggest employers locally. We aim to reflect the diversity of the communities we serve and continue to develop new and existing partnerships with local people, patients, neighbouring NHS organisations, local authorities and charitable bodies and GPs.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Please see the attached Job Description and Person Specification for full details of the role and responsibilities Person SpecificationOther RequirmentsEssential
- Demonstrate ability to use fine motor skills in measuring nutritional status with anthropometry.
Skills and AbilitiesEssential
- Positive 'can do' attitude
- Self motivated
- Ability to adapt in the workplace and show flexibility
- Demonstrates a collaborative approach to working
- Able to deal with high pressure scenarios (such as distressed families, relatives, and staff)
Experience & KnowledgeEssential
- Advanced clinical reasoning skills
- Able to balance competing priorities
- Evidence to show ability to meet personal and directorate targets within a fluctuating and demanding caseload
- Ability to work within a team but also as an autonomous practitioner
- Ability to work under pressure
- Evidence of effective time management
- Evidence of multidisciplinary team working
- High level communication & listening skills including ?Leadership ?Coaching, mentoring, leading appraisals ?Teaching and facilitation ?Motivation & negotiation
- Sound IT skills To enable report writing and data input as well as facilitating nutritional analysis and dietary intake. This includes: ?Accurate keyboard skills ?Computer literacy ?Database management
- Experience of student training including counselling, mentoring, and assessing to a final standard.
- Postgraduate experience in Respiratory Medicine, including Cystic Fibrosis, and/or experience in Paediatrics.
- Demonstratable knowledge in dietetic issues in paediatrics.
- Demonstratable knowledge in working with patients with respiratory conditions.
- Knowledge of paediatric enteral feeds and specialist infant formulas.
- Experience of presenting educational talks, QI/audits and at journal club.
- Evidence of advanced teaching skills
- Experience of carrying out both self-directed and collaborative audit projects.
- Evidence of leadership skills.
Education and QualificationsEssential
- Research experience
- Experience of teaching and lecturing at national, international and HEI level
- Desire to develop speciality within respiratory medicine or paediatrics.
- HCPC Registration
- BSc Degree in Nutrition and Dietetics or MSc Degree in Nutrition with Postgraduate Diploma in Dietetics
- A strong commitment to personal and professional development
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Member of the British Dietetic Association
- Student clinical educators course
Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Royal Brompton Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.