We recruiting two individuals to act as the Trust's professional advisers on all Sustainability & Waste matters at UHL. Along with implementation lead for all matters under this remit including taking a project lead role in Delivering a Net Zero National Health Service as this is now in legislation, through the Health and Care Act 2022.
Ownership of UHL Trust Green Plan, and embedding this in day-to-day trust business. To provide professional leadership on environmental statutory compliance, Waste energy/utility procurement, technical advice and guidance, energy/utility monitoring and reduction programmes, project management, reporting, governance, partnership working, including functions not directly under E& F direct control such as supply chain activity and where appropriate, wider integration with STP and national strategies.Main duties of the job
To lead, develop and implement the Trust's approach to environmental sustainability, and provide senior professional management of the Trusts full range of environmental services including energy and water management, waste management, carbon reduction, sustainable and active travel, environmental legal compliance, sustainable design and construction, environmental management systems, communications and staff engagement. To proactively embed environmental sustainability and efficiency across the organisation and engage key stakeholders including our partners to deliver the Trust's vision to become a leading NHS Trust for environmental sustainability.
Day-to-day operational management of the Trusts Energy and Utility contracts. Strategic management of these contracts where appropriate including horizon scanning, re-negotiation, procurement and evaluation.
To drive improvements across the Sustainability and Energy Management portfolio including but not limited to: behavioural change waste segregation, engineering design advice, plant/equipment modification advice/implementation, operational advice (e.g., BMS modifications), optimisation and reduction of energy use, procurement and supply, transport and carbon footprint etc.About us
Our new strategy, developed with the support and feedback of colleagues, patients, and partners, is our compass for the next seven years (2023-2030).
We have four primary goals:
- high-quality care for all,
- being a great place to work,
- partnerships for impact, and
- research and education excellence
And we will embed health equality in all we do - taking active steps to reduce the avoidable differences in healthcare that some people face, working in partnership with communities.
Our strategy is underpinned by new values and we will work to ensure they are an everyday reality for all:
- we are compassionate,
- we are proud,
- we are inclusive, and
- we are one team
This is an exciting moment as we look to the future with clarity on what we already do well and where we need to focus our energies to make an even bigger difference for the people we serve.
About the University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust:
http://www.leicestershospitals.nhs.uk/aboutus/work-for-us/current-vacancies/Job descriptionJob responsibilities
To provide expert advice and leadership at a strategic level in order to drive engagement and behavioural change at local and organisational levels.
Ensure the Trust remains compliant with all applicable energy and waste legislative requirements and Health Technical Memorandums (HTMs). Maintain a register of legislation and other requirements and liaise with Government agencies where required.
To work with Trust wide directors, senior management and staff to deliver a strategic understanding of energy, environmental and sustainable compliance and the benefits this will bring.
To raise the profile of sustainability within the trust, and the trust sustainable reputation across the STP.
Develop, maintain and lead the delivery of the Trusts Green Plan, in line with sector guidance and ensure the plan sets out clear priorities for sustainability that are clearly aligned with overall organisational strategy and priorities.
Lead the Trusts implementation of environmental management systems and other relevant accreditations, ensuring that the Trust can meet and exceed the requirements of healthcare commissioners in relation to environmental sustainability when bidding for work.
To assume responsibility for all Sustainability, waste and Energy information and its logical management and storage. To ensure that all required data gathering is as simple, robust and traceable as possible to develop a system where S& E information is gathered, stored and managed in a sustainable, logical way.
To interpret and analyse highly technical and complex data and provide clearly communicated recommendations on how to maximise efficiency and opportunity in light of this analysis.
To be a professional manager and leader with conduct at all times consistent with department aims/objectives and Trust values. The post holder will form part of the E& F Senior Leadership Team.
To ensure all budgets are reported on accurately as required by Associate Director of Sustainability & Waste
To ensure value for money is driven across everything the department does including efficiency and effectiveness of delivery and timely billing and collection of outstanding monies for services delivered.Person SpecificationTraining and qualificationsEssential
- Professional knowledge to Master's Degree or equivalent in a relevant field e.g. Energy Management, Environmental Sustainability or an Engineering/Buildings/Estates related discipline.
- Expertise in environmental/energy legislation and statutory compliance. Committed to and able to evidence.
- Project management qualification.
- Experience of environmental management at a senior level in a large Acute NHS Hospital Trust or large public sector organization.
- Considerable previous experience in Waste energy, utility and sustainability management. Good working understanding of the energy and utility markets.
- Knowledge of operational planning techniques including forecasting, option appraisal, feasibility studies, business case preparation and service modelling.
- Knowledge of energy contract structure options
- Change management knowledge and experience
- Excellent communication skills - written and verbal to a variety of audiences of differing professional backgrounds and academic educational levels, including highly complex information.
- Be aware of the business-critical issues and balance this with the needs of patients, staff and visitors.
- An ability to work under pressure demonstrating the need to react quickly, effectively and safely to changing circumstances.
Planning and organisationEssential
- Excellent IT skills - MS office suite, CAFM systems, energy management/metering systems able to read CAD drawings BMS systems
- A working knowledge of Waste Management legislation
- Experience of public sector tendering for service contractors - and experience of the OJEU Procurement Process
- Good organisation and planning skills flexible and willing to undertake additional ad-hoc tasks as necessary within the bounds of skills and experience.
- Able to effectively manage and prioritise multiple complex projects, with a variety of stakeholders. Able to plan projects, identify resource requirements and deliverable timescales, risks, issues and opportunities
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Succession planning to keep the Department skill levels at the desired level for Good Industry Practice.
University Hospitals of Leicester NHS TrustAddress
Leicester Royal Infirmary
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.