PREVIOUS APPLICANTS NEED NOT APPLY (as you will not be shortlisted) Please read the Job specification - essential criteria must be met for shortlisting. Senior SSP's (Specialist Screening Practitioners) must be experienced SSP's within the Bowel Cancer Screening Programme (either currently or previously) who have shown professional & personal development and who have completed and passed 'the National mandated SSP course' at either level 6 or 7.
The role involves the ability to integrate, communicate, support and be a role model to a wide multi-disciplinary group in a centre of excellence.
There are excellent opportunities for training and further development and we encourage our team to participate and contribute to additional societies and committees within their specialist role.
If you are an experienced SSP, have exemplary communication skills and can positively contribute within our diverse community and team then St Mark's Bowel Cancer Screening Centre is the place for you!Main duties of the job
The Senior SSP will be responsible for providing the SSP/ nursing contribution within the bowel cancer screening service in accordance with local and national specifications. They are expected to provide expert knowledge and advice in their own specialist area, ensuring maintenance of clinical excellence underpinned by evidence-based practice. This may be in one or more location (including other endoscopy units in satellite screening locations) to ensure delivery of the screening service in these areas, and may include evening/ weekend working in order to offer flexibility to the screening populations.
This role includes undertaking assessment, education and counselling delivering evidence based individualised patient care according to patient's health care needs. The post holder will need to work autonomously and seek collaborative relationships with others across and within professional boundaries, develop patient pathways and be responsible for developing the nursing service within the Bowel Cancer Screening Centre (BCSC).
The post holder will be supported by the lead SSP's, clinical programme manager & deputy non clinical programme manager. The Senior SSP will provide day to day management of junior Specialist Screening Practitioners (SSP), Screening Practitioners (SP), and Assistant Screening Practitioners (ASP's), including undertaking appraisals and 1-1 meetings for these staff.About us
London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust (LNWH) cares for the people of Brent, Ealing, Harrow and beyond.
Our team of more than 8,200 clinical and support staff serve a diverse population of almost one million people.
We run major acute services at:
- Northwick Park Hospital: home to one of the busiest emergency departments (A& E) in the country. The hospital provides a full range of services including the country's top-rated hyper-acute stroke unit and one of only three hyper-acute rehabilitation units in the UK
- St Mark's Hospital: an internationally renowned specialist centre for bowel disease
- Ealing Hospital: a busy district general hospital providing a range of clinical services, as well as 24/7 emergency department and urgent care centre, and specialist care at Meadow House Hospice
- Central Middlesex Hospital: our planned care site, hosting a range of surgical and outpatient services and collocated with an urgent care centre.
We are a university teaching NHS trust, in recognition of the important role we play in training clinicians of the future and bringing the benefits of research to the public.Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesKEY RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform a pivotal key role in supporting the Bowel Cancer Screening Programme & Programme Management by:
- Working collaboratively with the Lead SSPs, Programme management, and Programme Hub supporting in the development of screening centre activities and pathways.
- Assisting and supporting the direct delivery and management of a proficient and high quality colorectal screening service including the delivery of screening and cancer waiting times targets.
- Having responsibility for a caseload of patients, and co-ordinating all aspects of patient care arising from their participation in the screening programme, including assessment, investigations, diagnosis and outcomes referring to appropriate professionals and services where necessary.
- Assisting in policy implementation and development of the service locally and nationally
- Ensuring maintenance of professional competence to practice safely and competently
- Promoting excellence in clinical practice, and assisting and contributing to quality assurance activities
- Assisting & supporting with data collection, on-going audits & research within the Bowel Cancer Screening Programme in line with National guidelines.
To view the main responsibility, please see the attached the Job Description and Person SpecificationPerson SpecificationEducation/ QualificationsEssential
- oDegree in related subject
- oRegistered General Nurse and PIN number
- oRecognised teaching & assessing qualification
- oAdvanced Communication skills course
- SSP Course (level 6/7)
- IMER Course
- oEvidence of continued personal & professional development
Knowledge & ExperienceEssential
- MSC/ Postgraduate study
- oLevel 2 Psychology skills training
- oPrescribing Course
- Experience working as an SSP in the Bowel Cancer Screening Programme
- o BCSS IT Training course
- oCannulation & Phelobotomy
- oSome experience working in an endoscopy unit or colorectal/ oncology specialist practice equivalent
- consent competency
Skills, Abilities and AttributesEssential
- oExperience of audit and research
Employer detailsEmployer name
- oPresentation Skills
- oCompetent IT Skills/ computer literate including email, word, excel and power point
London North West University Healthcare NHS TrustAddress
St Mark's Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.