We are delighted to be introducing the new role of Medical Director at Pendleside Hospice, working alongside our senior management team and trustees, medical team and wider Hospice and palliative care team.
Employed by ELHT but with an Honorary contract with Pendleside, you will provide governance, leadership and specialist palliative care input into all clinical services at the Hospice, whilst also working collaboratively with the four consultants in palliative medicine to ensure the delivery, continuity and development of specialist palliative care for the population of Pennine Lancashire.
You will be able to demonstrate excellent leadership and change management skills and maintain consistently high standards of individualised care, compassion and bereavement support.
The post is advertised as full time (10PA) but candidates wishing to work flexibly including less than full time or job share are welcome to apply. This also includes participation in the out of hour's medical rota.
Flexibility will be essential to apply your skills along with positivity and enthusiasm, you will have the communication and interpersonal skills that enable you to thrive in a friendly working environmentMain duties of the job
The Medical Director will lead and direct the hospice medical team to provide effective medical services across Pendleside Hospice. As the senior medical lead they will provide professional advice to the Chief Executive and Board of Trustees relating to general medical services and professional standards and the speciality of palliative medicine.
They will contribute to continual service improvement and to the strategic development of the Hospice and its services and the wider palliative and end of life network locally.About us
There are a lot of good reasons to choose to work at Pendleside Hospice. Pendleside is well-established, embedded and greatly appreciated in its local community, with specialist facilities and over 35 years' experience of providing palliative and end of life care services to the community of Burnley and Pendle.
With a workforce comprising of over 140 staff and 450 volunteers, over 95% of the Pendleside team report enjoying the work they do, feel they can make a real difference, believe in the aims of the charity and are proud to work at Pendleside.
Caring for over 1744 people with advancing long term and life limiting illnesses last year, we are highly regarded for our quality of care provision with 1,079 patients accessing our inpatient, community services including hospice at home, health, wellbeing and rehabilitation (formerly day services) and outpatient services and 665 people accessing our family support service receiving both pre and post bereavement support.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
The primary aim of this role is to provide medical leadership and strategic input into Pendleside Hospice. The post holder will:
- Provide a specialist palliative medicine service to the patients of Pendleside Hospice, working as part of a multi-disciplinary team of doctors, nurses and allied health care professionals.
- Take medical responsibility for patients admitted to the Inpatient Unit, and for the medical care delivered by the hospice medical team in other areas covered by the hospice.
- Lead, manage and develop the Hospice medical team, ensuring that care is given in accordance with Hospice, Regional and National best practice guidance.
- Alongside the Senior Management Team and Trustees, take an active role in developing the organisations strategic plan for clinical care delivery, working collaboratively with key stakeholders internal and external to the organisation Alongside the Clinical Services Manager have responsibility for ensuring strong clinical and medical governance, ensuring regulatory compliance.
- Liaise with health and social care professionals both internal and external to the Hospice, acting as a source of specialist palliative care advice.
- Contribute to the delivery of education to all staff groups and act as a clinical supervisor to doctors and advanced clinical practitioners in training.
- Participate in weekly Specialist Palliative Care Multi-disciplinary team meetings.
- Attend relevant meetings internal and external to the Hospice and participate in the development of policies, procedures and standards pertaining to the clinical activity of the Hospice.
- Working collaboratively with the Hospices, four consultants in palliative medicine and specialist palliative care team across Pennine Lancashire to ensure the delivery, continuity and development of specialist palliative care for the population of Pennine Lancashire.
- Full GMC registration
- Primary medical qualification e.g. MBChB
- MRCP(UK) or (I), MRCGP or FRCA
- Fully subscribed member of a recognised medical defence organisation
- At least 6 years experience in palliative care (Associate Specialist position only) or Entry on the GMC Specialist Register for Palliative Medicine via CCT or CESR or have a proposed CCT date within 6 months of interview (Consultant Position only)
- Higher Medical Degree (MD or MSc)
- Post graduate qualification in palliative medicine/care
- Effective knowledge and experience in palliative care and application to acute, community and hospice settings
- Participation in clinical audit
- Good knowledge/understanding of Clinical Governance
- Effective leadership and organisational skills
- Effective negotiating and influencing skills
- Basic IT skills
- Attended management training
- Awareness of basic research methods
- Familiarity with evidence- based practice
- Evidence of peer reviewed publications
- Evidence of teaching the multiprofessional team
- Attendance at courses in teaching, appraisal and mentorship
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Advanced communication skills
- Commitment to working as part of a clinical team
- Ability to work within a multidisciplinary team - regardless of grade or discipline
- Ability to recognise, understand and respect organisational differences and boundaries
East Lancashire Hospitals NHS TrustAddress
Burnley Health Care Nhs Trust
East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust/Pendleside Hospice/Burnley General Teaching Hospital
Casterton Ave, Briercliffe Road
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.