An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the NHS North Thames Genomic Laboratory Hub as our Assistant Service Manager. This Assistant Service Manager post is a key position within the management structure, responsible for providing day-to-day operational management and support for Genomic Laboratory Services alongside the development and delivery of service improvements for our patients and staff.Medicine and the care we offer our patients is changing with the genomic revolution. NHSE launched the National Genomic Medicine Service (GMS) which incorporates the Genomic Laboratory Hubs (GLH) and the Genomic Medicine Service Alliances (GMSA) for North Thames that means working with all healthcare providers and stakeholders in our geography.You will have demonstrable experience of service management of working within a multi-professional team and of working collaboratively with both internal and external stakeholders. You will need to have a strong commitment to improving services whilst remaining passionate about quality and safety. You will have a proven track record of successful operational management experience and will demonstrate a high standard of communication and organisational skills. There will be opportunities to assist with service improvement projects.Main duties of the job
- Responsible for all Administrative functions across the North Thames Genomic Laboratory Hub (GLH) Rare Disease Laboratory to provide a good quality, timely service to both our internal and external users..
- Responsibility for maintenance of established procedures and oversight of the preparation and review of operating policies. Implementation of new policies and procedures as required
- Ensure comprehensive administrative support is provided to the GLH and Rare Disease Laboratory senior teams
- Provide secretarial services including writing and distributing agendas, papers and minutes for GLH Senior Management meetings as required (often of a complex and highly technical nature)
- To ensure development of maximum productivity and efficiency in admin working practices
- Ensure development, co-ordination and maintenance of a customer service focus within department
- Raise invoices and credit notes in accordance with trust policies. Correct coding of invoices
GOSH is committed to recruiting the best person for the job, based solely on their ability and individual merit as measured against the criteria for the role through a process that is fair, open, consistent and free from bias and discrimination.
We are committed to being a diverse and inclusive employer and foster a culture where all staff are valued, respected and acknowledged. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, disability status or length of time spent unemployed.
We particularly welcome applications from BAME communities, people with disabilities and/or long-term health conditions and LGBT+ community members.
We have policies and procedures in place to ensure that all applicants and employees are treated fairly and consistently. We are proud to be accredited as a Disability Confident Employer, a member of Business Disability Forum and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
We have active and Executive supported BAME, LGBT+ and Allies, Disability and Long-Term Health Conditions and Women's staff networks. Staff networks are employee-led groups formed around interests, issues and a common bond or background. Staff network members create a positive and inclusive work environment at Great Ormond Street Hospital by actively contributing to the Trust's mission, values and efforts specific to inclusion. All of our staff networks are open to any employee.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
The full job description provides an overview of the key tasks and responsibilities of the role, and the person specification outlines the qualifications, skills, experience and knowledge required. For both documents please view the attachment/s below.Person SpecificationGOSH Culture and ValuesEssential Academic/Professional qualification/TrainingEssential
- Educated to degree level or equivalent experience
- Continuing Professional Development
- Management training or equivalent experience in a clinical environment
- Experience of working in a fast-paced, clinical environment with multiple teams maintaining effective working relationships at operational and senior management levels
- Demonstrated line management experience
- Knowledge of and experience using finance and procurement systems to process orders and invoices
- Knowledge of and experience in using staff information system / IT system to record changes to staff information
- Knowledge of medical and terminology
- Experience of documenting project/programme expenditure
- Understanding of NHS Business and Administrative processes
- Experience in taking and transcribing formal minutes of complex meetings with many attendees in a complex environment
- Experience of supporting change management within a large team
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Ability to establish credibility and develop and maintain effective working relationships at operational and senior management levels
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate with staff at all levels in the organisation, including clinical staff and managerial staff as well as with external suppliers
- Knowledge of IT systems and software programmes such as Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint
- Able to prioritise tasks to achieve deadlines whilst working under pressure and with frequent interruptions
- Excellent organisational and planning skills
- Minute taking and report writing skills
- Able to work autonomously and use initiative
- Able to manage unpredictable and intense situations / conflicting priorities and work calmly
- Excellent attention to detail
Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Foundation Trust
Great Ormond Street Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.