We are looking for an enthusiastic and highly motivated individual to join our growing team of skilled Optometrists. Experience in hospital optometry is preferred but not essential as full training will be given.Main duties of the job
Role to include:
Routine usually for patients with associated conditions or complex prescriptions e.g. prescriptions including prisms and high refractive errors and patients with learning difficulties.
Diagnostic refractions as requested to determine clinical outcomes e.g. cataract surgery or squint surgery
Paediatric refractions for young children with or without squint to decide if spectacles will aid visual development.
Specialist medical contact lens management - fitting of contact lenses for keratoconus, high ametropia or for cosmesis in patients with scarred corneas. Teach patients to insert and remove their lenses and to manage the care of their lenses. Manage all continuing care. Perform verification checks on incoming contact lenses before they are issued to patients.
Low visual aid service assessment for magnification and issuing of low visual aids. At times patients and relatives may be upset as a poor diagnosis has been given for their condition and they are struggling to come to terms with it. Reassurance and explanations are a vital part of the role.
Routine Ophthalmic Biometry selection of IOL prior to cataract surgery in pre-operative cataract clinics.
The Optometrist will maintain a personal clinical workload within these core activities. Occasional visits to theatre may also be necessary.About usListen to why colleagues think we are a great place to work! -https://bit.ly/3DNEQfD What does Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust offer you?
Why work for us?
- As part of our BHT family, you'll benefit from learning and development opportunities to support your career progression.
- We offer flexible and agile workingopportunities,alongside your NHS benefits ofgenerous annual leave entitlement, pension andaccess toNHS discount schemes.
- We provide a range of health and wellbeing services to promote a healthy, happy workforce.
What do we stand for?
- We'recommitted to promoting inclusion and making sure all colleagues feel they belong. We encourage new colleagues from a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
- As an employer, we aim to create a workplace where differences are valued, and colleagues treat one another with dignity and respect.
- Greater diversity withinourBHT familyimprovespositive outcomes for the people and communities we serve.
- Our vision is to provide outstanding care, support healthy communities and be a great place to work.
- Our mission is to provide personal and compassionate care every time.
Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- Our CARE values are collaborate, aspire, respect and enable.
For a comprehensive list of responsibilities and duties, please kindly refer to the Job Description and Person Specification by downloading the JD and PS attachment in the advert.
If you are an internal applicant there is the option for secondment, all applicants must have the endorsement/support of their line manager prior to application.
If you have a disability that makes submitting this online application difficult and would like assistance, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the vacancy reference number.Person SpecificationEDUCATION, QUALIFICATIONS & TRAININGEssential
- BSc Honours degree in Optometry 2:1 or higher Or MSc Honours degree in Optometry
- Current registration with the General Optical Council as an Optometrist (various routes to registration are possible)
- Additional Optometry or Ophthalmology-related diplomas
SKILLS, ABILITIES & KNOWLEDGEEssential
- Previous experience of other core or extended Hospital Optometry roles such as advanced contact lens fitting
- Previous experience of Low Vision Assessment or Diabetic Retinopathy
- Experience of Patient Administration Systems and other NHS hospital systems
- Minimum one year postgraduate Optometry experience ideally with emphasis on theory and practice of Hospital Optometry
- Demonstrate ability to communicate verbally and in writing to enable liaison with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Fully understand Data Protection and patient confidentiality issues.
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload.
- Demonstrate ability to work as part of a team.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Able to work at all three sites as needs of the service dictate
- Current Driving Licence and use of car
Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS TrustAddress
Buckinghamshire Health Care trust
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.