*** 10% responsibility Allowance available ***
We are seeking an experienced Liaison Psychiatrist to support us on our improvement journey. As a senior psychiatrist, we are looking for a forward thinking, dynamic change agent who would offer first class clinical leadership within our Adult Mental Health services.
The role requires you to diagnose and manage patients with a wide range of mental health problems who have physical morbidities. This involves managing patients with multiple, long term chronic health conditions and liaising with other clinical specialties at University Hospital Southampton.
There are two sessions within this job to act as Education Lead for the department, supporting our existing Education Team.
You will be seeing working age patients (18 to 65 years old), providing assessment and treatment of a patient on the wards and advising clinicians on supporting their patients who have mental health conditions.
You will be working closely with your MDT and providing clinical leadership to your department, and providing informal and formal teaching and training to hospital colleagues.
All applicants must have MRCPsych or recognised equivalent, CCT in General Adult Psychiatry, preferably Liaison endorsed, Section 12 Approval and Approved Clinician Status when taking up this post.
This job attracts a responsibility payment of an additional 10% on top of standard NHS pay, this will be renewable yearly subject to job planning.
Up to �8,000 relocation allowance.Main duties of the job
The post-holder will be based at based at Southampton General Hospital, University Southampton Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust
The post holder will be appointed by Southern Health Foundation Trust (the mental health trust) but in addition have an honorary contract with University Hospitals Southampton NHS Trust (the acute trust).
The successful candidate will be responsible for providing clinical leadership and consultant input into the Adult Liaison Psychiatry team covering the accident and emergency department, acute medical unit and wards, alongside the existing Liaison Psychiatrists. The adult liaison team cover adults of working age 18-65, or those over 65 still open to an adult mental health team and or those who needs are best met by an adult liaison team.
This post is part of a liaison psychiatry MDT service covering the whole hospital, working alongside adult liaison consultants and old age liaison consultants. The liaison psychiatry team has an established 24/7 accident and emergency and acute medical unit liaison and whole hospital emergency assessment service with an established Band 7 triage nursing model to see patients in ED within 1 Hour. The service offers multi-disciplinary routine and urgent ward liaison Monday to Friday for adults. The MDT includes consultants, liaison psychology, nurse, allied health professionals, trainees, students and administration staff.About us
Are you committed to providing remarkable care and service?
Are you passionate about helping people and want to make a difference every day?
We want to meet you!
Southern Health is one of the largest Foundation Trusts in the UK, specialising in mental health, adult and child community health and learning disabilities. We are committed to promoting the welfare and safeguarding of children, young people and adults at risk of abuse and neglect through our 6,500 strong workforce.
Southern Health has over 300 sites across the county and we serve 1.5 million people throughout all stages of their lives. Our aim is to work alongside the people we support (and our health and care partners) to deliver the best possible care and constantly improve.
Here at SHFT we have so much to be proud of:
- Working as a team and supporting each other, we put patients and our staff at the heart of everything we do.
- We have a skilled and diverse workforce and are committed to our staff development, offering bespoke training packages, leadership pathways and career opportunities.
- We offer a variety of benefits such as an amazing pension scheme, generous annual leave, Childcare Choices scheme, many discounts (Blue Light card, The Company Shop, NHS Staff Discounts, cycle to work scheme) and much more.
Come to work with us, together we will provide outstanding treatment and care to improve lives.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Further information about the Trust and this role can be found on the Job Description and Person Specification document attached.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Full Registration with the General Medical
- MRCPsych or recognised equivalent
- Eligible for inclusion in the Specialist Register or within 12 months of CCT at time of interview. CCT in general adult psychiatry.
- Approved under section 12(2) of the Mental Health Act 1983.
- Relevant Higher Degree e.g. MD, PhD, MSc or other additional clinical qualifications
- Liaison accreditation.
- To hold Approved Clinician status at the point of taking up post
- Higher qualification in medical education
- Prior experience of liaison psychiatry (adults)
- Prior experience of working with detained/Mental Health inpatients as senior trainee or consultant.
- Experience of audit and an understanding of the principles of clinical governance.
- Ability to take a leadership role in a multidisciplinary team, ensuring high quality care and maintain staff morale
- Ability to use IT, including e-mail and the internet
- Ability to manage own time, workload and prioritise clinical work
- Ability to appraise own performance as a consultant
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Able to communicate effectively with patients, carers and staff
- Understanding of the management skills required to function successfully as a consultant
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Proven commitment to improving the quality of clinical care
- Experience of crisis, inpatient or community mental health team care for adults.
- Evidence of understanding of CORE 24 liaison psychiatry service model and PLAN accreditation standards.
- Evidence of understanding or experience of working across organisational boundaries and with acute trusts.
- Evidence of specific achievements that demonstrate leadership, management, service development skills
Southern Health NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Princess Anne Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.