Dilham Ward is a 36 bedded mixed elective surgical ward caring for patients having General surgery, Breast and Thoracic Surgery. We are also an integral part of The Sir Thomas Browne Academic Colorectal Unit, the largest colorectal department in England with excellent patient outcomes. Our surgeons are internationally recognised, and we work collaboratively with them to ensure the best possible outcomes for our patients. You will become a valued member of this committed and supportive team, who are passionate about continuous improvement and providing excellent patient care. Our team prides ourselves on providing staff bespoke learning opportunities, and we would love to welcome you to our diverse and motivated team.
The Job Description, which includes a Person Specification, provides a full outline of responsibilities and requirements for this role. Please use your supporting statement to demonstrate how you meet the person specification.Main duties of the job
As post holder you will be responsible for promoting and implementing practice conducive to the development of high quality patient care, by providing professional, clinical and managerial leadership. You will take charge of the Ward/Department in the absence of the Ward/Departmental Sister/Charge Nurse and provide support and guidance to all staff.
To support the delivery of a high quality, safe and compassionate healthcare service,all staff are expected to act as a role model to others in all aspects of their work and consistently demonstrate NNUH's 'PRIDE' values of People focused, Respect, Integrity, Dedication and Excellence and demonstrate behaviours that support and encourage an inclusive culture.About us
Join us at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital and be part of a workforce of over 10,000 staff!
The NNUH is one of the largest NHS trusts in the UK, providing first-class acute care for around one million people, living in Norfolk and surrounding areas. We are a teaching and research hospital, at the forefront of innovation, home to state-of-the-art facilities, such as the Quadram Institute. We are pleased to work closely with the University of East Anglia, providing teaching opportunities for our staff and placement opportunities for their students. We attract some of the best and leading professionals from across the country and are proud that our workforce represents 94 countries from across the world.
We are a friendly, collaborative hospital, working with local services and home to N& N Hospitals Charity
We can offer you the full range of NHS benefits/discounts and in addition:
Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- Flexible working hours
- Fast Track Staff Physiotherapy Service
- Multi Faith prayer room
- Discounted gym memberships
- Excellent pension scheme and annual leave entitlement
- Wagestream - access up to 40% of your pay as you earn it
- Free Park & Ride service direct to NNUH site
- Free 24-hours confidential counselling support
- On-site Nursery
- On-site cafes offering staff discounts
- Support in career development
- Flexible staff bank
- Salary Sacrifice schemes including lease cars, Cycle to Work scheme and home electronics
- Ensure practice is in accordance with the NMC Code of Professional Conduct and work within limits of competence.
- Assist the Ward/Department manager in maintaining standards of nursing practice.
- Carry out and advise/supervise junior staff in the assessment, planning, delivery and evaluating of nursing care.
- Carry out the daily personal care of patients.
- To take charge of the clinical area in the absence of the Ward/Department Sister/ Charge Nurse.
- To ensure the patient administration systems e.g. PAS are up-dated to ensure real time data collection and confidentiality.
- To ensure the effective use of information technology for the benefit of patient care in accordance with the Trusts Cyber Code of Conduct.
- To ensure the confidentiality of information (written, verbal, electronic) is maintained, whilst being aware of the Freedom for Information Act.
- To co-ordinate and monitor the progress of patients within their plan of care and to promptly and effectively communicate relevant changes in patient status to the multi-disciplinary team.
- Effectively communicate complex, sensitive or contentious information to the multi-disciplinary team gaining their co-operation.
- Communicate effectively with patients, relatives, carers, significant others, the multi-disciplinary team and support services.
- To ensure that all staff adhere to Trust policies and the principles of their professional body.
- To manage complaints in accordance with the Trusts Complaints Procedure.
- To assist in the development of patient information liasing with PALS as necessary.
Please see the attached job description for full details.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Use leadership skills to create an environment that is safe and supportive to ensure effective teamwork and a motivated, efficient workforce.
- Registered Nurse on the appropriate part of the NMC register
- Post registration qualification relevant to the clinical area
- Evidence of continuing professional development and maintenance of a personal professional file
- Significant experience at Band 5 level, of which some is to be in a position relevant to the specialty
- Experience of managing and leading a clinical area
- Experience in change management
- Experience of participating in clinical audit or patient reviews
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Leadership qualities
- Effective role model, demonstrating NNUH's PRIDE values of People focussed, Respect, Integrity, Dedication and Excellence
Norfolk and Norwich University HospitalAddress
Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.