We are seeking a dynamic Consultant Psychiatrist for our Intellectual Disability Service in Harrow. The service is based in the Harrow Mental Health Centre, Northwick Park Hospital.
The successful candidate will have excellent leadership qualities. They will be highly motivated and passionate about delivering high quality care for people with Intellectual Disability.
The post-holder will adopt a pragmatic leadership style, ensuring collaborative working both at a clinical and an operational levelMain duties of the job
Together with the service manager, the post-holder will provide overall clinical leadership for the multidisciplinary team as well as direct clinical assessments, consultations, risk assessments and care plans. The post-holder will be expected to lead on quality improvement initiatives and service evaluation projects and will be encouraged to lead on research.
The location of the service ensures that the Intellectual Disability Team are integrated within the broader Harrow mental service. The Northwick Park Mental Health Unit has an ECT suite, two adult wards, an older adult ward, the home treatment team, the psychiatric liaison service and Harrow management team. Consultant and junior doctor offices and are based within the management suite
Applicants must be on the Specialist Register or within 6 months of obtaining the CCT and Approved Clinician Status.About us
Harrow Intellectual Disability is part of the CNWL Intellectual Disability services spanning eight boroughs including community teams in Brent, Hillingdon Kensington & Chelsea, Westminster, Enfield and Milton Keynes services. There is also an inpatient service at The Kingswood Centre. The service is for people with a Learning Disability who have mental illness and/or challenging behaviour disorders.
Being part of a large and diverse CNWL Trust enables clinicians to access alternative learning and experience opportunities. As a new consultant in the team you will be offered a place on the Management and Leadership Course run by the Trust, in conjunction with Imperial College. The Trust also has a partnership with the Institute of Healthcare Improvement (IHI), giving you the opportunity to gain knowledge in improvement science and enhance your skills and confidence to understand healthcare systems and successfully implement change. The successful applicants will be eligible to apply for relocation support in line with the Trust's Relocation Expenses Policy.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Person SpecificationQualifications and TrainingEssential
- To manage, appraise and provide professional supervision to junior medical staff as agreed between consultant colleagues and the medical director and in accordance with the Trusts personnel, policies and procedures.
- To ensure that junior medical staff working with the post holder, operate within the parameters of the New Deal and are Working Time Directive compliant.
- To undertake administrative duties associated with the care of patients.
- To record clinical activity accurately and comprehensively, and submit this promptly through the trusts clinical information systems.
- To participate in service and business planning activity for the locality and, as appropriate, for the whole mental health service.
- To participate in annual appraisal for consultants.
- To attend and participate in the academic program of the Trust, including lectures and seminars as part of the internal CPD program.
- To maintain professional registration with the General Medical Council, Mental Health Act Section 12(2) approval, and to abide by professional codes of conduct.
- To work with local managers and professional colleagues in ensuring the efficient running of services, and share with consultant colleagues in the medical contribution to management.
- To comply with the Trusts agreed policies, procedures, standing orders and financial instructions, and to take an active role in the financial management of the service and support the medical director and other managers in preparing plans for services
- To be flexible and willing to undertake differing duties according to the needs of the service, including representing the service at the Directorate strategic meetings.
- May also be required to provide cover for Specialty Doctors in emergencies. Arranging Locum cover will cater for planned leave cover for the Speciality Doctor.
- MRCPsych or equivalent.
- Registered as a Specialist in Learning Disability Psychiatry (or CCT expected within 6 months of interview date)
- Approved under section 12(2) MHA, 1983.
- Approved Clinician status
- Management training/qualifications
- Recognised by Royal College of Psychiatrists as a specialist registrar trainer.
- Higher degree in a field related to Psychiatry (LLM, MD or PhD)
- Up-to-date knowledge in management of adults with intellectual disability.
- Awareness of current issues in mental health service provision, policy and legislation.
- Specialist interest as demonstrated by publications or presentations to learned societies.
- Knowledge of current issues in national strategic direction.
- Wide clinical experience of Intellectual disability psychiatry.
- Experience of multidisciplinary team working.
- Experience of multi-agency work, especially with user, carer and voluntary organizations.
- Experience in medico legal work.
- Experience in service management and development.
- High level of clinical skill.
- Ability to work constructively in multidisciplinary teams and multi-agency systems.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Commitment to working with users, carers and voluntary organizations
Personality and AttitudeEssential
- Established record of clinical leadership
- Established ability as clinical teacher
- Established ability to research and/or audit.
- Specific treatment modality skills
- Computer literate
- Skill to assess and manage people with autism
- Disability centered values
- High standards of professionalism.
- Flexibility and capacity to work in changing environment
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Ability to lead and support colleagues
- Enthusiasm to work with adults with complex chronic problems
- Commitment to working as a member of the MDT.
Central and North West London NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Northwick Park Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.