New Horizons is a 4-bedded inpatient unit for women developing severe mental health needs in the perinatal period. Women can be admitted in late pregnancy (from approximately 36 weeks onwards) but the vast majority of admissions occur post-natally, with mothers being accompanied by their babies.
The Unit is a national resource, but the majority of patients admitted are based within the footprint of AWP and have been under the care of the AWP mental health services, primarily the trust's perinatal community mental health teams.
The average length of stay to the unit is 6 weeks, and there are approximately 25 admissions per year
The post holder will work alongside the unit consultant to provide medical input into the treatment of the unit's inpatients and clinically supervise the doctors in training based at the unit.
They will also support the unit consultant in working closely with colleagues both in the trust community perinatal services and the South-West Provider Collaborative, as well as effecting service improvement.Main duties of the job
- To assess new admissions to the unit, with the support of the unit's doctors in training, and formulate a treatment plan in collaboration with the unit consultant.
- To attend weekly MDT meetings and ward review meetings.
- To arrange and participate in CPA meetings.
- To liaise with other mental health teams, primary care and non NHS organisations as required by patients' needs.
- Ensure effective and timely documentation and communication of clinical decision making and management plans
- The post holder is expected to have Section 12 approval, or be able to obtain this within 3 months of their appointment.
We are AWP (Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust) a diverse organisation with over 5,000 dedicated staff providing inpatient and community-based mental health care. We provide services from a range of locations to approximately 1.8 million people living in Bath and North East Somerset (B& NES), Bristol, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire, Swindon, across the county of Wiltshire and in parts of Dorset. Our outstanding people promote mental health and wellbeing. The expertise and resources within AWP are dedicated to a person-centred approach for those who use our services and for all employees. We recognise that happy and fulfilled employees give better care.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Please refer to the accompanying job description for full details on the roles and responsibilities of this post.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Basic Medical Qualification (MBBS or equivalent)
- Membership of the Royal College of Psychiatrists.
- Section 12 Approval
- Eligible for Full GMC registration with a licence to practise at time of confirmation of appointment.
- Completed at least four years' full-time postgraduate training (or its equivalent gained on a part-time or flexible basis) at least two of which will be in a specialty training programme in Psychiatry or as a fixed term specialty trainee in Psychiatry or shall have equivalent experience and competencies.
- Ability to manage own time and workload and prioritise clinical work
- Ability to appraise own performance
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Research and AuditEssential
- Evidence of specific achievements that demonstrate leadership skills
- Ability to critically appraise published research.
- Experience of carrying out an audit project
- Experience in involvement in a research project and publication.
- Interest in research
- Up to date knowledge of issues in Mental Health Service for this specialty.
- Commitment to teaching other members of the multi-disciplinary team.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Teaching of undergraduate students
- PGCME or equivalent/aspiration to attain a postgraduate teaching qualification
Avon & Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS TrustAddress
New Horizon Mother and Baby Unit
Southmead Hospital, Donal Early Way
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.