There is an exciting opportunity within the North London Mental Health Partnership (NLMHP) for a General Adult Consultant Psychiatrist to join the Enfield Acute Adult Inpatient Services based at Chase Farm Hospital in Enfield. The role is based on Devon ward PICU in the Chase Building, which cares for adults requiring psychiatric intensive care.
Please see the updated Job Description for this full time (10PA) post and the Person Specifications.
This post is approved by the Royal College of Psychiatrist.Main duties of the job
The postholder will be based at Devon Ward in Chase Farm Hospital and will be responsible for the clinical care of patients on the PICU.
Devon Ward is a 12-bedded male-only PICU providing a PICU service to all three boroughs - Barnet, Enfield and Haringey (as well as Camden and Islington, boroughs served by our partner trust, on occasion).
The postholder will work within a team comprising 2.0 WTE junior medical staff, nursing, OT and psychologists. They will work closely with an experienced ward-manager to provide excellent care to their patients.
The post-holder will work alongside 7 other inpatient consultants based on-site and will have the opportunity to meet consultant colleagues weekly at the borough-wide consultant meeting. About us
Barnet Enfield and Haringey Mental Health Trust is a multiple award-winning, combined mental health and community Trust providing local, regional and national healthcare services. We are one of the largest employers in North London with over 3000 staff delivering a range of mental health and community services to a population of over one million.
BEH manages the renowned North London Forensic Services (NLFS), rated as 'Outstanding' by the CQC. This service treats and cares for people within the criminal justice system who have mental health conditions.
We also provide one of the largest eating disorder services in England, as well as drug and alcohol services and mental health liaison services in North Middlesex University Hospitals Trust.
Our values and quality improvement are at the heart of everything we do, please consider joining us.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- The post is that of Consultant Psychiatrist to the Trusts maleonly PICU, based at Devon Ward, Chase Farm Hospital. The post holder will look after a total of 12 inpatients on Devon Ward. The post holder will be expected to provide clinical input to inpatients on a daily basis.
- The post holder will be expected to closely liaise with the other inpatient ward teams and consultants, and the consultant to the Crisis Resolution and Home Treatment Team to ensure that patients can be stepped down smoothly from PICU when no longer required.
- The Trust works to the productive ward model of acute inpatient care, broadly this involves regular Senior Review of patients and their treatment plans, through daily ward meetings, the close involvement of the Community Mental health Teams and the management of patients through a Traffic light system to minimize delays and limit the amount of time patients spend as inpatients.
- The post holder will work closely with the ward-manager to support the effective working of the ward MDT and to promote a culture of recovery in which service users are actively involved in decisions about their care. This will involve the promotion of the management of psychiatric patients by non-medical staff and to support non-medical colleagues in working independently. This includes the support of non-medical prescribers and, where appropriate, non-medical approved clinicians (or trainee approved clinicians) working in the team.
- To provide clinical and professional leadership within the post and take part in management activities related to the post or the wider service of which it forms part.
- Compliance with all legal obligations covering clinical practice (e.g. Mental Health Act and code of practice, Mental Capacity Act).
- A commitment to ensuring fair access to services for all.
Person SpecificationQualifications & ExperienceEssential
- Compliance with procedures whereby doctors report concerns about professional conduct or competence of medical or other colleagues.
- Full registration with the General Medical Council (GMC)
- Listed on the Specialist Register of the GMC Medical Register
- Membership of Royal College of Psychiatrist or equivalent qualifications/ certification
- Approved Clinician status in terms of the same legislation approved under Section 12 (2) of the 1983 Mental Health Act, the 2007 amendments and any successor legislation
- Experience of assessing and treating patients in acute and community psychiatric settings.
- Ability to take a leadership role in a multidisciplinary team, ensuring high quality care and staff morale
- Capacity to respond positively to the changing nature of an acute inpatient setting.
- Excellent communication skills in verbal and written media
- Membership of a professional indemnity organization
- Engagement with annual appraisal
- Publications in the field of Psychiatry
- Ability to work within a multi-disciplinary team
- Enthusiasm and commitment to the NHS
- Highest level of integrity
- Capacity to respond positively to the constantly changing NHS environment
- Participation in quality improvement activities
- Teaching experience on Medical students, psychiatric trainees and other NHS Staff
- Participation in leadership activities
- Understanding of leadership
- Negotiation skills
- Understanding of and experience in needs assessment
- Experience in data gathering and management
- Basic computer skills, including ability to use email and Internet
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Ability to use a wide range of teaching techniques and audio-visual aids
- Formal teaching qualification
- Formal QI training
- Understanding of contracting, finance and activity monitoring
- Experience in developing a service/involvement in service transformation
Barnet, Enfield & Haringey Mental Health NHS TrustAddress
Devon Ward PICU
The Chase Building, Chase Farm Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.