An exciting opportunity has arisen and we are looking to appoint a motivated and enthusiastic Band 5 Registered Nurse to work in Ward 23 Departure Lounge between the hours of 10:00am and 20:00pm, this is an inspiring opportunity to become involved in:
- Enhancing the patient experience and journey by providing a safe and comfortable environment for patients to wait away from the ward area while the completion of their discharge or transfer of care are arranged.
- Supporting bed capacity and the flow through our very busy emergency department, and also to those patients with planned care pathways, by releasing inpatient bed capacity in a timely manner, and at the earliest opportunity.
Patients are transferred to the departure lounge from the inpatient Surgical/Medical wards.
The applicant must be able to work effectively under pressure, collaborate well within a small team, and display excellent communication skills.A good standard of documentation skills and experience in IT skills will also be essential
We are a great team to work with and we are always looking to improve and better our service by endeavouring to provide the optimum care delivery for patients in our care.Main duties of the job
All clinical staff are responsible for ensuring the safe management of the patients accommodated in the departure lounge - and to maintain the following for the patients as required:
- Assistance with toileting if needed.
- Meals and refreshment
- Assistance with feeding if required
- Pressure area care
- Administration of medication
- Medication advice
- Health education and health promotion advice
- Communication with both patients and relatives (relatives must be informed of discharge prior to transfer to the lounge by the ward)
Collection of patients from areas if possible.About us
Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust provides hospital services to a growing population of around 700,000 people living across Bedfordshire and the surrounding areas across two busy hospital sites in Bedford and Luton. Both hospital sites offer key services such as A& E, Obstetrics-led Maternity and Paediatrics.
You will be joining a friendly, high performing Trust committed to ensuring the health and wellbeing of staff. As one of the largest NHS Trusts in our region you will have access to a programme of high quality training and development to help you grow your career.
We have state-of-the art facilities placing us at the heart of cutting edge health care. The Trust continues to be committed to delivering the best patient care using the best clinical knowledge and technology available.
Please note that vacancies may close prior to the advertised closing date when sufficient number of applications have been received. Please ensure that you make your application as soon as possible.
All new staff will be subject to a probationary period covering their first six months in post. Travel between hospital sites may be required.
Please review all documents attached to this advert to ensure you familiarize yourself with all requirements of the job.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- Provide /oversee competent care for patients in the area.
- Maintain the effective day-to-day running of the department.
- Ensure the criteria for referral to the departure lounge is followed.
- Contact the correct medical teams when required.
- Escalate any concerns regarding a deteriorating patient to parent team / Matron
- Inform Matron for support with any prolonged delays which may compromise discharge
- Inform Matron / parent team / control room if discharge fails to facilitate bed for patient
- Ensure patients receive all medications in a timely manner prior to discharge.
- Manage any CD administration in line with policy
- Continuous monitoring of the patient.
- Ensure that the date and time of transfer and discharge is recorded accurately on IPM.
- Keep the patient and relative up to date regarding discharge arrangements in a timely manner.
Please see detailed Job Description attached.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Current Acute Registered Nurse with the NMC
- Degree in Nurse related specialty or working towards
- Mentorship or teaching qualification
- Experience of working in an acute hospital setting
- Evidence of further education, training and on-going learning
- Ability to use computers and software such as Word/Excel or the equivalent
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Competent in the administration of intravenous medication
- Counselling or coaching skills
Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Luton and Dunstable Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.