This Biomedical Scientist post offers an exciting opportunity to further develop your specialist knowledge and skills in Clinical Biochemistry and Immunology.
The department is staffed by a team of friendly and highly motivated BMS's and ATO support workers, dealing with approximately one million samples per year. The laboratory has recently undergone an extensive equipment refresh to install new 'state of the art' kit including Roche 8100 pre-analytics, 2x c8000 lines, a p701 storage retrieval module, Optilite and QuantaLyser 3000 analysers. The laboratory is furnished with the typical equipment associated with a large DGH Clinical Biochemistry and Immunology department.
Once fully trained you will be responsible for participating in all aspects of the service including routine Clinical Biochemistry, Separation Science and Immunology. The successful candidate may be expected to participate in a rota which provides 24/7 cover for the Clinical Biochemistry service.Main duties of the job
The department has a strong ethos of quality management, with Peterborough City Hospital being the first NHS laboratories to gain single UKAS/ISO15189:2012 accreditation across the whole Pathology department. We are a progressive laboratory where individuals are actively encouraged to have involvement in the continual improvement and development of our service.
We are an IBMS accredited training laboratory committed to education, training and clinical excellence. We offer excellent training programmes for IBMS registration and specialist portfolios, where we have successfully supported a large number of individuals through the process. We also have an excellent record of staff successfully completing advanced qualifications, such as the IBMS Higher Specialist Diploma and Certificates of Expert Practice. All staff are actively encouraged to develop themselves and assist in the education of others.About us
Our teams work hard to be flexible and promote a health work/home life balance and so, agile working options are automatically considered for all roles within the Trust.
We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We particularly encourage applications from disabled, Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) and candidates from our local communities.
Your package with us includes a lot more than just your pay and here are a few of the additional benefits that are available to you as an employee:
- Access to the NHS Pension Scheme
- Relocation allowance in line with the Trust policy
- Generous Holiday Entitlement, starting at 27 days a year (for full time workers) plus bank/public holidays
- Free staff car parking on all our hospital sites during this financial year
- In-house Physiotherapy Services
- Career development and training opportunities
- Emotional Wellbeing Service covering a range of online support, access to mobile apps and 24/7 counselling services
- Subsidised meals at our hospital restaurants
- Access to exclusive discounts, cashback and vouchers via NHS Discounts and Blue Light Card
If you share our values and vision and are passionate about working with people on what matters to them, you could be a real asset to Team North West Anglia NHS Foundation Trust.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
You should be an HCPC registered Biomedical Scientist and have completed an IBMS Specialist Portfolio in a relevant discipline for a Band 6 position. You will also need to be enthusiastic, highly motivated, computer literate and familiar with working to ISO15189:2012 standards. Current experience in a UK NHS Clinical Biochemistry or Immunology laboratory is essential. Those working towards completion of an appropriate IBMS Specialist Portfolio (please state in application) are strongly encouraged to apply.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- BSc Biomedical Science
- HCPC registration as a Biomedical Scientist
- Minimum of 2 years' experience post HCPC registration
- Specialist Portfolio in Clinical Biochemistry and/or Immunology
- Evidence of ongoing CPD
- IBMS membership
- Any other relevant qualification such as a training certificate, specialist portfolio
- Sound knowledge of Clinical Biochemistry and/or Immunology practice underpinned by theoretical and practical experience
- Competent at problem solving in an automated environment
- Familiarity with UKAS/ISO15189 systems and standards
- Broad understanding of Quality Control, Quality Management and Audit
- Current UK NHS experience in Clinical Biochemistry/Immunology laboratory
- Knowledge of Winpath enterprise LIMS systems
- Competent in a broad range of Clinical Biochemistry, Separation Science and Immunology practical techniques.
- Competent in the interpretation and technical validation of results
- Technical problem solving e.g. equipment failure, quality control failure
- Good verbal and written communication skills in English
- Literate in laboratory computerisation and PC office applications
- Good practical knowledge of health and safety issues including COSHH, fire regulations and risk assessments.
- Supervisory/training skills
- Experience with Roche Track systems and Cobas 8000 analysers
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Be able to relate well to all levels of personnel
- Able to show initiative
North West Anglia NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Peterborough City Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.