Looking for a fresh challenge? We are recruiting to our inpatient services in the forward-thinking Speech and Language Stroke team at Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust, in the beautiful Weald of Kent. We are seeking motivated and hard-working candidates to cover a nine-month maternity leave within our established team. We will provide you with good pastoral support and offer an outstanding learning and development package with a range of development opportunities. Please see our informative recruitment video: https://youtu.be/GhVNSbkYkX8.Main duties of the job
Speech and Language Therapy sits within the Therapies Directorate of the Core Clinical Division and is comprised of three specialist sub-teams of Acute, Stroke and Head & Neck / ENT that regularly meet across clinical areas. Our vision is to Exceptional People delivering Outstanding Care, and to do so in a sustainable way.
You will help deliver highly specialist speech and language therapy to the new 46 bedded Stroke ward.You will need to be autonomous in dysphagia assessment and management. You will also need excellent communication skills, a professional approach to both clinical and administrative duties, be organised with excellent prioritisation and time management skills. We run a FEES and videofluoroscopy service and experience in instrumental assessments would be desirable but is not essential as training can be provided. Variable site and weekend working will be expected.
We are looking for Band 7 Speech and Language Therapists and developing band 6 to 7 posts will be considered.About us
Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust is a large acute hospital Trust in the county of Kent.
The Trust provides a full range of general hospital services and some areas of specialist complex care to around 760,000 people living in the south part of West Kent and the north part of East Sussex.
The Trust's core catchment areas are Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells and their surrounding boroughs. We work from two main clinical sites: Maidstone Hospital and Tunbridge Wells Hospital at Pembury. Tunbridge Wells Hospital opened in 2011 and provides single rooms with en-suites for all in-patients - the first of its kind in the country.
We employ more than 7,000 full and part-time staff in a huge range of clinical and non-clinical roles across both of our hospital sites.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Once your pre-employment checks have been completed you will be contacted by Recruitment to arrange your start date which will be in line with one of our Corporate Inductions.
Please note that appointment to this post will be subject to a satisfactory Disclosure & Barring Service Check atEnhanced level (Enhanced level now includes regulated checks against vulnerable adults and children).
At MTW, we seek to develop a culture where everyone can reach their full potential with opportunities to grow and develop their career. We recognise and value the unique contributions that each of our staff bring, delivering the best quality care and service to our patients. We are committed to being a diverse employer and strive to reflect everyone in our local communities. We welcome applications from people of diverse backgrounds, perspectives and experiences and celebrate the diversity of thought, viewpoints and ideas that will make our Trust the best place to work. Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Degree or post graduate diploma in Speech and Language Therapy
- Registered member of HCPC
- Post qualification in Dysphagia
- Evidence of on-going CPD/ reflective practice
- Post graduate experience of working with clients with significant communication and /or swallowing disorders post- stroke.
- Experience of working with adults in the acute setting.
- Experience of line management including supervision
- Experience providing training and specialist advice to external agencies
- Multidisciplinary team working
- Knowledge of evidence-based practice.
- Experience of working in a tertiary care setting
- Experience of service development, including audit
- Experience of the hyper-acute setting
- FEES Competencies
- Experience running videofluroscopy clinic
- Advanced dysphagia skills
- Advanced communication support skills including performing mental capacity assessments
- Highly attuned knowledge of evidence based practice, especially in the areas of dysphagia, aphasia, dysarthria and dyspraxia
- Understand the principles of clinical governance
- Understand local and National policy in relation Stroke
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Counselling skills
- Tracheostomy skills
- Presentation skills
Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.