Are you an experienced Paediatric Nurse with a passion for delivering excellent care?
We have an opportunity for Senior Staff Nurses/ Junior Charge Nurses to join our dynamic and rapidly developing team at the North Middlesex University Hospital.
We can offer you the opportunity to further develop your emergency care skills and achieve nationally recognized competencies in -line with emergency care standards.
We have our own Paediatric A& E Practice Development Nurse and a robust and comprehensive continuing professional development plan for all our staff.
We are committed to providing safe, evidence based care to our patients and we ensure this by maintaining our staff members educational needs.
We offer APLS, EPLS, ATLS and TILS in-house, and most of our senior team are instructors for these courses. We offer a wealth of senior knowledge and experience.
We have strong links with three leading London universities Middlesex University, London South Bank University and City University and believe that in developing our staff we ensure the continued development of our department.
We are looking for outstanding individuals who embody our Trust Values of being caring, fair and open to join our wonderful team.Main duties of the job
- To take responsibility for managing and coordinating the department in the absence of more senior staff and escalate where appropriate.
- To participate in the teaching and supervision of junior staff and student nurses as required, helping to lead and manage them and their development.
- To be a safe and effective practitioner able to provide patients and relatives with high quality nursing care.
- To act as a positive role model to junior staff members.
- To provide competent clinical skills to patients within your scope of practice being aware of personal limitations and scope of competence.
- To work within both the nursing and multi-disciplinary teams to provide evidence based, holistic care to a wide group of patients.
- To uphold the rules, policies, procedures and standards of North Middlesex Hospital NHS Foundation Trust together with all relevant statutory and professional obligations.
- The post holder has a general duty of care for their own health, safety and well-being and that of work colleagues, visitors and patients within the hospital, in addition to any specific risk management or clinical governance accountabilities associated with this post.
- To observe and maintain strict confidentiality of personal information relating to patients and staff.
- To be responsible, with management support, for their own personal development and to actively contribute to the development of colleagues.
Our Paediatric A& E is one of the busiest in London, with up to 48,000 attendances annually. We have a new, purpose built department dedicated to providing emergency care to CYP and their families our local community is at the heart of everything we do.
We are part of the North East London Trauma Network and are a recognized paediatric trauma unit. We are fully staffed by paediatric nurses, 24 hours a day and have excellent team support from our adult A& E team.
We are also fortunate to have a team of Paediatric Emergency Medicine Consultants and have a strong medical support framework and excellent links with our MDT. We have two Matrons and a team of Senior Nurses who actively support and engage in clinical care.
Our expanding department has a dedicated paediatric high dependency area , paediatric resuscitation suite and CAMHS room and facilities. We also provide a Paediatric Urgent Care Service and have a team of Paediatric Nurse Practitioners.
Viewing of our department and meeting our team is highly recommended, and we welcome visits and any questions you may have for us.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Education and Research
- To deliver a high standard of evidence based care to a specified group of patients
- To adhere to NMC Code of Professional Conduct at all times.
- To be responsible for the nursing management of a group of patients.
- To be fully involved in the health education of patients and relatives, identifying each opportunity to promote a healthy lifestyle.
- To liaise effectively with all members of the multi-disciplinary team (MDT) in order to ensure that patients needs are met and that services are delivered in accordance with National Service Frameworks and agreed Clinical Care Guidelines.
- To promote the well-being of children and young people and safeguard them from actual or potential harm and report concerns under the Trust Safeguarding Children/Child Protection Procedures.
- To accurately identify those children and vulnerable adults at risk of abuse, referring to our in house safeguarding team as appropriate.
- To ensure that relevant information regarding the patients needs / condition are communicated to the MDT and that any instructions are acted upon.
- To be aware of the need to adhere to the Trusts policy on valuing equality and diversity in the workplace, which incorporates the patients / visitors and staff perspective.
- To have due regard for each patients cultural and religious beliefs and to respect each patients privacy, dignity, gender and sexuality.
- To acknowledge personal limitations in patient care and seek advice from senior staff members.
- To be involved with nursing audits/essence of care/observations of care.
- To report adverse incidents which occur in the department as per policy. To assist in the investigation of such incidences.
- To ensure contemporaneous record keeping at all times and in line with the Trust policy on documentation.
- Ensure clear and accurate written and verbal information is given at all times, including patient handovers.
- Participate in Trust and Care Group initiatives to develop nursing practice and support change.
- To have knowledge of the Trust Major Incident Plan and your own role within it.
- To be aware of current research and the possible implications for the department speciality.
- To update knowledge in the light of current research and practice.
- To act as a practice supervisor for student nurses/adaptation nurses/HCAs.
- To at as a preceptor/mentor to newly qualified staff.
- To actively participate in the training process by demonstrating and directly supervising and by negotiating learning contracts.
- To liaise with appropriate members of teaching staff, link lecturer/lecturer practitioner.
- To act as a role model at all time
- To exercise leadership where appropriate
- To take all possible steps to safeguard the welfare and safety of all staff
- To anticipate day to day staffing problems and take appropriate action in conjunction with the team leader, sister/charge nurse and head of nursing, to ensure good standards of care for the patient are maintained at all times.
- To give support and advice to junior ward staff on both clinical and administrative problems.
- To ensure effective admission/discharge of patients whilst liaising with the flow coordinator/bed manage.
- To keep the ward sister/charge nurse informed of significant changes in the day to day situation in the department.
- To act as a liaison within the multi-disciplinary team to ensure optimum, timely patient care.
- To observe a general duty of are for the health, safety and wellbeing of self, work colleagues, visitors and patients within the hospital, in addition to any specific risk management associated with this post.
This job description is intended as a guide to the general scope of duties and is not intended to be definitive or restrictive. It is expected that some of the duties will change over time and this description will be subject to review in consultation with the post holder.Person SpecificationEducation and qualificationsEssential
- Registered Nurse
- Significant experience working on a paediatric ward/unit
- Possesssion of a relevant degree or in the process of obtaining
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Evidence of on-going dynamic and continuing professional development within the speciality linked to demonstratable clinical competencies and level 3 academic study
- Assessing and mentoring qualification
- Leadership or management training
- Significant experience working in Paediatric A& E
North Middlesex University Hospital NHS TrustAddress
North Middlesex University Hospital NHS Trust
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.