Consultant in Psychiatry for Adults with Intellectual Disabilities
Salary: �91,722 - �119,079 per annum
We are driven to support people with learning disability access a high standard of care for their presenting difficulties. The service has already implemented Dementia, Epilepsy, and PMLD pathways. Our Mental Health Pathway is currently in development.
As a service, we are committed to addressing health inequalities for people with learning disabilities and have developed a Primary Care Liaison service in addition to the general hospital LD Liaison team. These teams are also passionate educators working closely with Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire People First in delivering sessions to groups including GP Trainees and Undergraduate medical students. These Teams are being further strengthened to create additional capacity and align to the wider Directorate support for Liaison and strengthen our earlier intervention and prevention model.Main duties of the job
The post holder will provide specialist community psychiatric care to people with intellectual disabilities who reside within the county of Pembrokeshire. Pembrokeshire Community Team for Learning Disabilities.
Integral to the responsibilities of the post are the following requirements:-
- To provide effective leadership to all staff engaged in the speciality.
- To sustain and develop teaching and research wherever appropriate.
- To undertake all work in accordance with the Health Board's procedures and operating policies.
- To conduct clinical practice in accordance with contractual requirements and within the parameters of the Health Board's service plans.
- To contribute to the Consultant on-call rota (1 in 14 rota).
- To maintain the confidence of business plans and development strategies formulated for the specialty or the Health Board.
- Core clinical expertise in the field of Intellectual Disability Psychiatry.
- Experience and knowledge of running a specialty service.
- Leadership and team building skills as well as working as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Supporting and training multi-disciplinary teams.
- Participating in CPD including Audit.
- You are expected to maintain your professional development for Revalidation.
- A Teaching and Training role for medical undergraduates and postgraduates.
- Supervisor role to Junior and Middle Grade Medical Staff.
- To undertake regular multi-disciplinary clinical audit and provide evidence based medicine.
Hywel Dda University Health Board is the planner and provider of NHS healthcare services for people in Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire and its bordering counties. Our 11,000 members of staff provide primary, community, in-hospital, mental health and learning disabilities services for around 384,000 people across a quarter of the landmass of Wales. We do this in partnership with our three local authorities and public, private and third sector colleagues, including our volunteers, through:
- Four main hospitals: Bronglais General in Aberystwyth, Glangwili General in Carmarthen, Prince Philip in Llanelli and Withybush General in Haverfordwest
- Seven community hospitals: Amman Valley and Llandovery in Carmarthenshire Tregaron, Aberaeron and Cardigan in Ceredigion and Tenby and South Pembrokeshire Hospital Health and Social Care Resource Centre in Pembrokeshire
- 48 general practices (four of which are managed practices), 47 dental practices (including three orthodontic), 99 community pharmacies, 44 general ophthalmic practices (43 providing Eye Health Examination Wales and 34 low vision services) and 17 domiciliary only providers and 11 health centres
- Numerous locations providing mental health and learning disabilities services
Highly specialised and tertiary services commissioned by the Welsh Health Specialised Services Committee, a joint committee representing seven health boards across Wales.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
The successful candidate for this Consultant post will be eligible to hold an Honorary Academic title at a partner university on the understanding that they will participate in undergraduate teaching, including acting as an examiner, and support and facilitate research activities in an appropriate university faculty and school. They will take direction in these activities via the appropriate academic lead. The agreement to define the Honorary Academic responsibilities and associated programmed activities in relation to teaching time and research will be negotiated jointly between the post holder, the university and the Health Board. It will form part of the successful candidates job plan. The award of the Honorary Academic contract will be dependent upon a formal application being submitted to the university in accordance with the Honorary Appointments procedures and will be available on a fixed term basis subject to satisfactory performance in the academic activity undertaken .
For full details of the role requirements please see attached Job Description and Person Specification for this vacancy.Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Full GMC Registration and Licence to Practice
- On specialist register or SpR due to obtain relevant CCT within 6 months of interview
- Membership of the Royal College of Psychiatrists
- Valid certified advanced life support skills
- Appropriate higher degree, MD, PhD or MSc or equivalent
- Broad based experience in psychiatry across the range of sub-specialities.
- Knowledge of UK hospital systems (or equivalent)
- Knowledge and participation in CPD
- Competence in eg management of acute psychiatric presentations
- Expertise in the treatment of mental disorders in people with learning disabilities
- Able to apply knowledge
- Safe and effective written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge and experience of communicating bad news
- Meet the requirement of the GMC's Good Medical Practice
- Experience of NHS
- Wider experience, research and training in providing sub specialty service
- Evidence of above average performance
- Additional clinical qualification(s)
- Evidence of participation in clinical audit and understanding role of audit in improving medical practice
- Comprehension of core philosophy and building blocks of Clinical Governance
- Knowledge of risk management
- Knowledge of annual job planning/appraisal review process
- Experience and knowledge of critical appraisal of evidence so as to improve clinical outcomes
- Evidence of initiating, progressing and concluding research projects with publication
- Research degree
- Evidence of organising programmes and teaching medical students and junior doctors
- Willingness to teach all grades of professional multidisciplinary staff
- Organisation of further teaching programmes in medical education
- Training the Trainers experience
- Knowledge of the management and structure of the NHS
- Willingness to participate in clinical management
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Evidence of management training
Hywel Dda University Health BoardAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.