The Speech and Language Therapist will be an active part of the health team within Stockport's Youth Justice team. The recipients of the service will be normally aged between 8 and 18 years of age.
The post holder will provide a bespoke Speech and Language service to the young people involved with the Youth Offending service, their families and the partner agencies working with the young people.
The post involves identification at highly specialist level of the Speech, Language and Communication needs of the young people and the provision of a menu of appropriate interventions, including individual and group programmes to the young people and their staff.
The post holder will work closely with staff to facilitate their communication skills with this client group. As part of this work the post holder will undertake the training of the staff and staff in partner agencies to raise awareness of the communication difficulties faced by young people and strategies to facilitate their communication.
Supervision will be provided by a Highly Specialist Speech and Language Therapist, as part of Stockport NHS Foundation Trust' Children's Therapy Services, who are the primary employer.Main duties of the job
- Ability to identify at highly specialist level, the communication difficulties experienced by the targeted vulnerable young people
- To offer appropriate communication programmes to the young people and their staff
- To work closely with staff to facilitate communication skills within the identified population
- To work closely with staff to develop communication supportive environments
- To provide a large menu of intervention options for this population, as appropriate, to include individual and group work
- To undertake training of staff and partner agencies to raise awareness of the types of communication difficulties faced by the young people and to offer strategies to facilitate their communication.
- To attend briefings and staff meetings
- In conjunction with the GMCA and NHS England, develop and implement policies relating to SLT and YJS to include data collection and analysis as required.
- A flexible approach to working hours, in line with service requirements. This may include occasional evening and weekend working in order to attend conferences or to support families etc.
We hold a unique position in the Stockport community as the provider of healthcare and we are one of its largest employers.
Our mission is to make a difference every day. Our values are that we care, we respect, and we listen
We believe that the best organisations are those that reflect the communities they serve. We are therefore seeking to improve the diversity of our workforce to make it truly representative of our local population.
We actively encourage applications irrespective of race, age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, marriage & civil partnership, or pregnancy or maternity. Recognising those communities that are underrepresented within our workforce, we would particularly welcome applications from you.
We recognise that flexible working is important. We take requests for flexible working seriously, consider any request we receive and try to work with you, so we can explore if your request may fit with the needs of the service.
The salary for the role is only one part of the excellent package of benefits we offer to you:
Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- Between 27-33 days of annual leave plus bank holidays
- NHS pension scheme membership
- Salary sacrifice schemes for lease cars, home electronics and more, to make your salary go further
- NHS Staff discounts
- Cycle to work scheme
- Salary finance - for loans, savings, budget planning and tips on managing debt
- Stockport Credit Union- for local financial advice
This role is for 2.5 days per week working with the remit of the detailed job description as attached.
The Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment and promote safeguarding by implementing the Trusts policies and procedures, acting promptly on concerns, communicating effectively and sharing information appropriately.
If successful this vacancy will require an enhanced DBS check at a cost of �41.90. This cost will be deducted from your first Trust salaryIn addition to this it will be a condition of your employment that you will join the DBS update service and pay the annual subscription fee of �13.Person SpecificationEducationEssential
- Degree in Speech and Language Therapy or equivalent with licence to practice.
- Registration with the Health Professions Council.
- Evidence of Continued professional Development in relevant clinical field
- Registration with RCSLT
- Membership of relevant CEN / SIG
- Evidence of higher level education e.g. MSc in relevant field
- Highly specialist understanding of Speech Language and Communication impairments, including Autism Spectrum Disorders and a thorough understanding of the wide range of speech, language and communication disabilities in children.
- Knowledge of recent NHS and Trust developments and their impact on the service
- Knowledge of ACES, trauma informed practise and impact of Trauma on communication skills
- Experience,of working at a Highly specialist level
- Broad range of clinical experience prior to specialising
- Experience of multi-disciplinary working
Skills and AbilitiesEssential
- Experience of providing training to a wide variety of parents, carers and staff in differing SALT areas.
- Supervision of senior and junior staff, including students
- Experience of clinical audit and service evaluation
- Experience of managing change
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Ability to prioritise, manage caseloads and work to tight deadlines
- Ability to share knowledge and record information adhering to the appropriate standards both in formal and informal methods.
- Ability to cope with emotional and distressing circumstances
Stockport NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Children's Therapy Services
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.