To drive the medical education and library agendas, championing continuous improvement in the Department of Medical Education to ensure WWL provide:
Main duties of the job
- the best medical education and medical training experience
- the best library, information and knowledge resource
- an Education Centre that meets the demands of the organisation
Innovate services & explore opportunitiesto generate income
Responsible for education management reporting & monitoring & governance
Responsible for development, implementation & updating of strategic direction of the department
Evaluate the department & deliver business plans for a range of quality services
Provide strong leadership to direct operations
Deliver excellence in medical education & ensure GMC standards for training are met across
Responsible for performance delivery & quality assurance of the department address potential conflicting demands on resources
Accountable for delivery of undergraduate & postgraduate medical education throughout the Trust in planning, delivery & evaluation of all teaching programmes
Provide reports for the Director of Medical Education & Medical Director to Trust Board, Trust Medical Education Committee directorate business meetings & performance reviews
Responsible for development of organisational processes to maximise performance & learning
Provide proactive, user-orientated library services which support users indelivery of high quality care & education needs
Promotion of the department to employees, stakeholders & externals
Development of the Trust Library Service
Responsible for management of the Clinical Skill Manager, Library Manager, Foundation Programme & Education Centre Manager Undergraduate Manager & Senior Postgraduate & Study Leave Administrator
Responsible for management of the finances for the departmentAbout us
Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust are the proud providers of acute hospital and community services to the people of the Wigan Borough and surrounding areas. At WWL, we value our staff believing that 'happy staff, makes for happy patients'. We have a recognised track record in staff engagement, and living our values 'the WWL Way'.
WWL are committed to placing the patient at the heart of everything we do, and in the provision of safe, effective care that acknowledges and ensures dignity. With this in mind we are seeking to recruit people who share our values and beliefs.
Please note that senior positions (AFC band 8A or above) may be expected to participate in an on-call rota, if the role is predominantly operational.Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesPlanning and Organisational Duties
- Develop, implement and update the strategic direction of the Department & three sub-departments
- Monitor local, regional & national initiatives, assess the impact on the provision of the department at our Trust & implement changes if require
- Produce management reports, business plans and publications as required by stakeholder
- Manage sensitive information on performance on the department and responsible for service change within the department, negotiating with relevant stakeholders
- Support the Trust Medical Recruitment Strategy, and work with the DME to continuously improve the reputation of the organisation and improve quality of education in clinical department
- Plan & co-ordinate regular multi-professional and sites and committees so that stakeholders are appraised of new national, regional, local and technological initiatives and they have opportunity to contribute to service development
- Negotiate, develop & review Service Level Agreements with stakeholders and external organisations i.e. Further Education and Higher Education institutions, NHS & Social Care organisations & public bodies
- Promote the department, including the Education Centre, Clinical Skills Lab & Trust Library Service internally & externally.
- Determine a set of key performance indicators for all areas within the department, establishing a monitoring system and instigating actions to ensure the quality standards are adhered t
- Analyse the complex feedback provided to the Trust following the GMC survey. Manage the action planning process related to the survey feedback and meet with Clinical Leads regularly for improvements on trainees feedbac
- Develop services & resources within the department of in responsive to the needs of internal & external service users and encompasses new methods of service delivery & technological developments
- Work with the Director of Medical Education & Clinical Leads in the completion of the appropriate quality monitoring standards i.e. Health Education England and GMC
- Work with the Director of Medical Education for balance of capacity to train & service provision & supports excellence in patient care & training opportunities
- Work with the Director of Medical Education and Medical Director for workforce planning and provision of quality clinical placement
- Investigate the development of alternative clinical roles as part of workforce development, help identification of new training opportunities eg. Physicians Associate
- Ensure infrastructures are in place for Medical Education and the Trust Library Servic
- Develop service strategies to compliment the strategies of organisational, regional and national partners & initiatives.
- Support development policies that will ensure the print and non-print collections within the Trust Library Service
- Work with relevant national, regional & local organisations for wider access of information services for Library Use
- Responsible for quality assurance and audit of key development activity for both internal and external clients of Medical Education and provide and develop services in response
- Work with the Medical Education Lead and Clinical Skills and Simulation Manager to produce policies, procedures and protocols to assist with the effective functioning of the Departmen
- Work with the Medical Education Lead, Clinical Skills Facilitator and wider medical education department, to support all initiatives with regard to undergraduate, foundation and postgraduate trainin
- Identify and recommend improvements in procedures and processes in order to deliver coordinated and multi-professional services
Communication and working relationships
- To ensure the delivery of proactive current awareness services to maintain Library users awareness of current developments within their field
- o ensure that Trust Library Services meet the criteria for the QAA in Nursing and accreditation of the Royal Colleges
Responsibility for Finance
- Liaise and consult with internal & external stakeholders on the implementation of changes and developments within the department and the Trust Library Services at WWL including Further Education and Higher Education institutions, NHS and Social Care organisations and public bodies
- Establish excellent working relationships with clinicians and other colleagues across the organisation for service transformation and improved performance delivery.
- Employ negotiation skills to resolve conflict across a range of situations
- Develop & maintain links within trust departments and committees to ensure the strategies are compatible with the Trust
- Manage the expectations of library users and users of the Education Centre to implement strategies for effective workload managemen
- Provide pastoral and career support and assist with the management of doctors in difficulty
- Share best practice and raise awareness of current developments and changing technologies in healthcare librarianship, information science and the informatio industry locally, nationally & internationally
Responsibility for Human Resources
- Have devolved responsibility for the overall budget for the Department of Medical Education and all three sub departments, negotiating funding levels and providing briefs on cost pressures & affordability of new initiatives
- Oversee staff in their management of devolved budgets
- Analyse complex financial and operational data for the Department of Medical Education and apply this to achieve an outcome that is agreeable. Use skills of persuasion and reassurance to address any barriers to acceptance
- Develop and present costed business plans for the development of the Education Centre (including Clinical Skills), identifying appropriate opportunities to generate income taking into account conflicting demands on resources. Be able to justify plans & processes to stakeholders
- Maintain accurate financial records and prepare estimates of expenditure for the Whole Department & the Trust Library Service
- Ensure all activity on the Medical Education budget accounts conforms to Trust policy and the Standing Financial Instructions and ensure all invoices for services are raised in a timely manne
- Responsible for the identification of sources of funding for the Medical Education Department & prepare & submit business plans & bids to request funding for new initiatives and service developments for the Trust Library Servic
- Ensure that the INTREPID database is managed and maintained on behalf of the Trust for Health Education England North West to provide accurate financial information on the study leave budget for Foundation Trainees and recharge HENW accordingl
- Negotiate, develop and monitor the financial aspects of Service Level Agreements with external organisations including Further Education, Higher Education institutions NHS and Social Care organisations and public bodies, to ensure the business needs of the Department are manage
- Calculate and review charges made to library users and departments using NHS costing principles
Responsibility for Health and safety
- Direct line management for the Clinical Skills and Simulation Manager, Foundation Programme and Education Centre Manager and Library Manager, Undergraduate Manager and Senior Postgraduate and Study Leave Administrator including quality and performance, leave, appraisal and personal development and disciplinary matters.
- Work with the Clinical Skills Manager, Foundation Programme and Education Centre Manager, Undergraduate Manager and the Medical Education Lead to implement and process disciplinary procedures for all members of the Medical Education team
- Plan & conduct regular departmental meetings to ensure all departmental staff are kept aware of new national, regional, local and technological initiatives and are provided with the opportunity to contribute to service development
- Identify the training needs and develop and locate appropriate training programmes for members of the Departmen
Responsibility for NHSLA
- Ensure the Education Centre and Trust Library Service are managed effectively taking into account security, maintenance and statutory requirement
- Responsible for the health and safety of all staff working within and visiting the Education Centre at RAEI and the Library
Responsibility for Teaching
- Interpret and ensure the appropriate implementation of national guidance for Medical Education, Clinical Skills and Library Services, ensuring compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements.
- Keep up-to-date with developments within the NHS, both locally and nationally.
- Recognised management qualification at postgraduate level and/or equivalent experience
- Experience of NHS HR Policies. Experience of supporting staff through change management. Management of regulatory body inspection visits.
- Significant experience where there was a requirement to demonstrate strong leadership and management skills.
- Educated to Masters Degree level in Library & Information Science or relevant, related subject.
- Experience of managing multiple complex budgets and funding streams
- Experience of implementing income generation initiatives to contribute towards organisational cost improvement programmes
- Strong staff management experience (including experience o
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.