Estates Manager- Band 7 Full Time-Permanent- 37.5 hours per week
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an Estates Manager (Mechanical) post based at Tameside Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust.
We are looking for a highly motivated, enthusiastic and versatile person to take on this vital role within the Estates Department. You will need to enjoy working flexibly, responding to varying demands and changing circumstances. Communication and team working are essential qualities to succeed in this role. You will require technical knowledge of mechanical systems.
You will be responsible for the operational leadership and management of maintenance technical teams to maximise effectiveness, utilisation and functionality of staff resources, equipment and materials, providing specialist management, advise and support onhospital engineering installations including medical gases, water, ventilation, pressure vessels etc.Main duties of the job
The post holder will be Accountable to the Head of Estates and is responsible for managing the mechanical engineering services of the Trust Estate. The post holder is also responsible for the development of standardisation of practices and processes within their area of responsibility to support the delivery of modern Maintenance services meeting compliant standards within a customer care focused service delivery.
The post-holder is responsible for the operational leadership and management of maintenance technical team to maximise effectiveness, utilisation and functionality of staff resources, equipment and materials. This includes providing expert advice to clinical and corporate services on the provision of safe, high quality, cost effective services. The post holder will also take the lead on mechanical engineering services,
The post-holder will provide specialist management, advice and support on specialist hospital engineering installations including medical gases, water, ventilation, pressure vessels etc.About us
Tameside and Glossop Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust serves a community of 250,000 people across Tameside & Glossop. We provide a range of services both within the hospital and across our community for both adults and children.Our vision is to improve health outcomes for our population and influence wider determinants of health through collaboration with our health & care partners. We have a clear set of values & behaviours which we expect all of our staff to demonstrate:
We believe that the best organisations are those that reflect the communities they serve. We are therefore seeking to improve the diversity of our workforce to make it truly representative of our local population.
We actively encourage applications irrespective of race, age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, marriage & civil partnership, or pregnancy or maternity. Recognising those communities that are underrepresented within our workforce, we would particularly welcome applications from Black, Asian & minority ethnic candidates, LGBTQ+& Disabled people.
Benefits include flexible working, 27-33 days annual leave plus bank holidays, sick pay, NHS Pension Scheme, free eye tests and health checks, gym discount, free bicycle loan scheme, salary sacrifice car scheme, support with stress, bereavement, relationships, finance, and much more.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- To have delegated responsibility for the management, co-ordination and monitoring of the engineering and building maintenance activities using both direct employed labour and contractual services to ensure the estate is maintained in such a condition that it fulfils its functions effectively, safely, economically and efficiently whilst ensuring compliance with statutory requirements and trust policies.
Medical gas pipeline systems (HTM 02) Ventilation (HTM 03) Pressure Systems Water Safety (HTM 04)
- On receipt of appropriate training and appointment act as either Lead Authorised Person (AP) or Deputy Authorised Person (DAP) for a variety of disciplines, including, but not limited to:
- Market-test, evaluate, co-ordinate and manage the implementation and management of various service contracts.
- To have delegated responsibility for management of assigned revenue budgets and associated spend.
- To participate in the E& F compliance governance structure and associated performance meetings, taking a lead in individual areas assigned to meet compliance targets and KPIs.
- To participate in the management tier of the Estates emergency on-call rota, taking calls and coordinating the response utilising direct employed labour from the maintenance team or existing service agreements.
- To develop contingency plans for mechanical plant, equipment and service failures to deliver a rapid response to enable business continuity during service breakdowns.
- To manage coordination of a team of trade and craft operatives to deliver maintenance to specialist healthcare areas/departments outside of standard working hours.
- To participate in the overtime rota to provide management oversight during planned maintenance activities.
- To support the delivery of the Trust Capital Programme by providing technical information regarding the existing estate and assisting during development of specification and designs for new schemes.
- To provide support where required during enabling works and construction schemes where service alterations and modifications to existing services are required to be coordinated.
- To supplement Estates capital project management resources when required.
- To prepare specifications, procure, project manage and manage delivery of minor works schemes to repair and improve the trusts engineering services. With a focus on time efficient delivery, quality of the final product and adherence to trust SFIs.
- To maintain detailed records such as work sheets, control and scheduling of planned leave and absence.
- To deliver training sessions/tool box talks to Trade staff.
- Co-ordination and management of statutory testing procedures.
- Leads on Statutory inspection work on plant and equipment, including assessment of plant condition, ability to meet current H& S standards and any changes in legislation. Prioritise replacement programme, carry out programme of remedial works.
- Assist in the assessment of departmental needs in terms of staff planning and recruitment.
- Site emergency contingency planning with regard to medical gases, water services, heating services and electrical service.
- Responsible for risk assessments and method statements from both maintenance staff and contract staff for work being undertaken.
- Attendance and active participation in Safety Working Group meetings (e.g water, ventilation, asbestos, etc).
SECTION 2- KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Act as a member of the Fire Call / Incident Response Team. Attend calls as required via emergency bleep system, as required by the Trusts fire Safety Policy.
- Act as member of Emergency Response Team during any adverse incidents such as strike / industrial action, extreme weather conditions, unplanned emergencies etc. as required by the Trusts emergency procedures. This could include out of hours work and night shifts on a rota basis.
- To have up to date knowledge of building regulations, water bylaws, Health & Safety at Work Act, Pressure Systems & Transportable Gas Cylinders Regulations, Gas Safety Regulations, all other Statutory guidance and NHS Estates HTMs.
- To have an up to date knowledge of Statutory Regulations, Health and Safety also to take reasonable care for the health and safety of themselves and Patients, staff and visitors who may be affected by their actions or omissions.
- To be able to liaise with all levels of management, staff and contractors by verbal, written and electronic means.
- To provide effective communication with staff employed throughout the department to promote good employee relations
- To produce and interpret complex reports from plant & equipment inspections, etc. To document recommendations for remedial works and prepare action plans to deliver the remedial works.
- Provide reasoned and technical advice on mechanical issues to the Head of Estates, Capital Projects and Engineering and Maintenance Staff.
- To meet with Trust staff at all levels to arrange significant service interruptions, report completion of works, and manage final handover.
- Assist the Head of Estates on the Trusts Litigation issues and ensures the Division manages all claims in accordance with good practice and the Trusts procedures. Providing in some cases highly complex, sensitive and contentious information where there may be barriers of understanding which need to be overcome using personal skills to persuade or negotiate whilst showing a level empathy.
- Need to have good analytical and judgmental skills to diagnose and arrange repairs for faults on complex Engineering Services, plant and equipment throughout hospital buildings using cause and effect analysis and detailed examination to gain solutions.
- Be able to read and understand complex detailed engineering drawings and operation and maintenance manuals.
- Be able to arrange for and respond to computerised and management print-outs and assist in the management and operation of Building Management System.
- To be computer literate and capable of producing reports, letters and spread sheets for data analysis.
SECTION 3- EFFORT AND ENVIRONMENT
- To be proficient in the use of CAD with the ability to create or change existing engineering drawings.
Hot and dirty environments boiler houses, plant rooms and service ducts. Confined spaces, for example roof voids, tanks etc. At heights up to 20 feet using suitable access equipment. Drains containing human waste requiring strict Infection Control Safe Working Procedures (contact with uncontained bodily fluids)
- Maybe Required to work infrequently in the following conditions:
Fumes Chemicals Asbestos Wood dust Microbiological
- Required to carry out work in respect of COSHH regulations involved with hazard such as:
- Often required to carry out processes requiring strong concentration skills such as fault finding in a pressure environment, an environment subject to frequent interruptions or as a result of an emergency developing elsewhere.
- Maybe required to drive the Trust vehicles where necessary.
Person SpecificationEducation and QualificationsEssential
- Maybe required use power tools and portable hand tools when and where required.
- Recognised Apprenticeship
- Good education standard
- A degree level qualification in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience
- Incorporated Engineer status or membership of an appropriate institute
- Post qualification experience
- Experience of working with & managing a multi-disciplinary team
- Conversant with engineering infrastructure associated with a complex building services environment and relevant statutory and non-statutory regulations
- Appropriate formal training to carry out the role of 'competent person' within the context of principle site infrastructure distribution systems
- Demonstrate a proven track record of success in planning and implementing PPM work schedules
- Experience of developing and implementing performance management systems
- Experience of steam pressure systems safe working practice on pressure systems and their control
- Experience working to and with HTM / HBN Guidance
- Development and implementation of risk management schedules and safe systems of work
- Experience of Capital Project Management
- Able to communicate effectively
- Knowledge of Health and Safety and Risk Management techniques
- Safe use of tools and equipment
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.