INTERNAL ONLY TO NORTH CUMBRIA INTEGRATED CARE NHS FOUNDATION TRUST (NCIC) TRUST EMPLOYEES Ward Manager, Day Surgery, Band 7, 30 hours per week. Secondment opportunity for 6 months
Candidates need to be flexible, enthusiastic and reliable- working independently and as part of a team.
The unit is predominantly nurse led with input from other members of the multi- disciplinary team in order to provide a high standard of care to patients both pre- operatively and post operatively. You will be in charge of a small team to oversee the admission process as well as the safe discharge planning of a group of patients each shift and be expected to access, plan, implement and evaluate their care needs.
As a unit we operate using 20 beds and are open seven days a week, currently working 12hour day shifts (07.30-20.00) with future plans to finish at 22.00hrs due to the advances in day case surgeries and patient care.Main duties of the job
The post holder will be responsible for overseeing the smooth running of the unit whilst ensuring patient safety is the highest priority. They will liaise directly with all members of the MDT. The post will involve the supervision and mentoring of junior staff.
The post holder will be responsible for overseeing the smooth running of the unit whilst ensuring patient safety is the highest priority. They will liaise directly with all members of the MDT. The post will involve the supervision and mentoring of junior staff as well as having awareness on budgets, establishments, incident and risk management.About us
At NCIC, we have an ambition to deliver outstanding hospital and health services to half a million people. Established on 1st October 2019, the Trust is creating a centre of excellence in providing rural and remote healthcare and provides a wide range of community and acute services throughout north Cumbria and beyond. We're responsible for delivering over 70 services across 15 main locations and we employ more than 6,500 members of staff.
Our 5 key principles demonstrate our belief in the delivery of 'safe, high quality care every time'.
- Being a clinically led organisation
- Quality and safety at the heart
- A positive patient experience every time
- A great place to work
- Managing our money well
As an organisation we are serious about supporting a diverse workforce that reflects our local community and are very much focused on being an inclusive and compassionate place to work.
Across the North East and North Cumbria we are working together to deliver our ambition to be the greenest region in England by 2030. There is an expectation for all staff to support this by familiarising yourself with the Trust's sustainability initiatives such as waste and recycling, going paperless, videoconferencing, sustainable transport and others.
We encourage you to think about what you can do as an individual and within your team to contribute in to embedding carbon reduction into the everyday running of our organisation.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Please see attached Job description and person specification for further information regarding the role and the essential and desirable criteria required to be met by applicants.
Relocation assistance may be available for successful applicants moving to the region for certain posts. Please see our Policy for eligible vacancies?
- Please ensure that you document evidence of meeting all the essential criteria in the supporting information.
- If sufficient response is received this post could be closed earlier than the specified closing date, please apply as soon as possible to ensure that your application is considered.
Candidates who have been successfully shortlisted for interview will be asked via an email notification to log on to their Trac account to select an interview time. This will usually be within 2 weeks of the closing date.
For candidates applying using a Hotmail account or have strict firewall settings please ensure the following:
Disclosure and Barring Service:
- Junk Mail is checked regularly
On 28 November 2020, the new Disclosure and Barring Service filtering rules will come into effect.
The changes mean that:
- youth cautions, reprimands and final warnings will no longer be subject to automatic disclosure
- the multiple conviction rule has been removed, meaning that if an individual has more than one conviction, regardless of offence type or time passed, each conviction will be considered against the remaining rules individually, rather than being automatically disclosed.
If you are unsure about whether you need to disclose certain criminal record information, free confidential advice may be sought from one of the charity bodies listed below. These bodies can advise you on what you are legally required to declare and may also be able to advise you on how you can disclose criminal record information to a prospective employer and your legal rights when doing so.
Nacro Tel: 0300 123 1999, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Unlock Tel: 01634 247350, email
email@example.com or complete the
online form on the Unlock website
The Trust is committed to safeguarding adults and children therefore if the post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (ROA) 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (as amended) the successful candidate(s) will be subject to a criminal records check with the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). The cost of the DBS must be met by the successful candidate(s) through salary deduction. DBS charges are as follows if applicable to the post:
Standard Check: �18 + Administration cost of �3.85 = �21.85. Deducted at �6.85 from 1st month salary and �5 deducted from salary over following 3 months.
Enhanced Check: �38 + administration cost of �3.90 = �41.90. Deducted at �11.90 from 1st month salary and �10 deducted from salary over following 3 months.
As part of the one of the largest employers in the UK NCIC future employees will have also access to the following benefits.
A lease car may be available for this position further details will be provided upon appointment if applicable.
27 day holiday scheme rising to 33 after 10 years
Flexible working Scheme
Excellent opportunities for development
Competitive NHS Pension scheme
Access to NHS discounts with retailers and leisure companies
EAP (Employee Assistance Programme) a free, confidential counselling and information service to assist with personal or work-related problems
These schemes are subject to availabilityPerson SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Registered nurse with current registration
- NST307 or equivalent
- Management / leadership certificate or equivalent.
- Post registration certificate in clinical speciality or equivalent
- Postgraduate certificate in management or equivalent.
- ALS provider.
- Essential IT skills (EITS) or equivalent. Further relevant postgraduate development or equivalent.
- Roster management.
- Preceptor / mentor for student nurses.
- Clinical supervision.
- Budgetary management.
- Leadership role.
- Dealing with critical incidents / complaints
- Patient Care and Public Involvement.
- Audit and research in practice
- Continuing professional development with portfolio.
- Practice requirements for all nursing staff.
- Trust policies and procedures
- Professional leadership within the clinical governance framework
- National strategy for nursing and midwifery.
- NMC Code of Professional Conduct / Practice.
Skills and AptitudesEssential
- Clinical practice development
- Leadership development
- Vulnerable adults, child protection and Mental Capacity Act issues.
- Ability to work as a member of a team, without supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Able to act as a clinical supervisor, mentor and preceptor.
- Able to promote the development of nursing within the Trust.
- Good organisational skills
- Leadership skills
- Bed management skills
- Ability to demonstrate the compassionate values and behaviours needed for dignified care.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- IT skills
- Project Development Skills
North Cumbria Integrated Care NHS Foundation TrustAddress
West Cumberland Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.