The post holder will work as part of the Sexual Health Services team and will assess, plan and provide sexual health advice, screening and treatment (including contraception) to patients in a supportive confidential environment recognising when to refer a problem onto a Doctor or Specialist Nurse within the service.
The post holder will be responsible for co-ordinating with the support of the Clinical Nurse Leader the Nurses and Health Care Assistants within the clinical area.
The Nurse will contribute to the continued development of nursing, including the supervision and support of junior nurses and support staff.
There will be an expectation that the post holder will work across all areas of Sexual Health Services including all outreach clinics as required.Main duties of the job
An exciting opportunity has opened for an enthusiastic, well-motivated Band 6 Sexual Health Nurse who has an interest in both Contraception and GUM to work in the Central Lancashire Locality within the Young People's level 2 services and also within All Ages level 3 services.
The successful candidate will be based within the Sexual Health Services at Talkwise in Preston, but may be required to work across other clinics within Central Lancashire.
We would like an individual with excellent communication skills who enjoys working as part of a team and teaching others.
Sexual Health Services offer clinics both during the day (Monday to Saturday) and in the evenings (latest clinic finishes at 20:00). There is anexpectation that the successful candidate will work across these sessions on a Rota basis.About us
Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is ideally situated just a forty five minute drive from Manchester. The Trust provides services to the 440,000 residents of Blackpool, Fylde & Wyre and North Lancashire, as well as specialist tertiary care for Cardiac and Haematology patients.
As one of the United Kingdom's largest coastal resort, Blackpool has plenty to offer its residents - it's not just a good place to work it's a great place to live
. In addition to its bustling centre and historic seafront, the town is world famous for its many attractions, including the famous Blackpool Tower. Blackpool also offers a number of scenic cycling routes round our local parks and across the surrounding countryside, as well as boasting panoramic views of the coast on its picturesque Promenade. Further afield, Blackpool also benefits from less than three-hour connections via rail to Edinburgh in the north and London in the south.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
To independently undertake and be responsible for sexual health clinical sessions, assessing patients and taking a sexual history, formulating diagnoses and where required initiating treatments using Patient Group Directions (PGDs) and agreed protocols or utilising non-medical prescribing, where suitably qualified, in the management of patients under the care of Sexual Health Services for the treatment of conditions within the practitioners scope of competence.
To provide specialist nursing interventions to the clinical management of patients with sexual health problems, in collaboration with other health professionals.
Independently perform comprehensive male and female genital examinations and investigative procedures for patients including HIV testing and point of care HIV testing including cervical cytology sampling where appropriate.
To perform venepuncture daily.
To give HIV positive results to patients and provide HIV post-test advice and support for newly diagnosed HIV positive patients, their partners, families and friends.
To issue prescribed medication as requested by medical staff or Non-Medical Prescribers and offer relevant/necessary advice in relation to the prescribe medication providing ongoing adherence, support and management for the patient.
To provide sexual health advice to patients following a positive STI diagnosis and implement partner notification measures as per local guidelines and refer the patient to the Health Advising Team.
To administer vaccinations and immunisations (e.g. Hepatitis B vaccine) in conjunction with clinical protocol and Patient Group DirectionsPerson SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- First level registered nurse
- ENB R71 or equivalent
- First issuing of hormonal contraception course or equivalent
- Specialist course or in-house training in STI screening.
- Mentorship/assessment module/training
- Management qualification
- Non-Medical Prescribing qualification
- 2 years current experience in sexual health
- Evidence of ongoing professional development
- Experience of working in nurse led clinics and working to PGDs
- Multi-disciplinary working
- Evidence of working with young people and under 16's
- Experience of clinical audit
- Knowledge of data protection acts
- Evidence of risk assessment and management responsibilities
- Proficient in cervical cytology and insertion and removal of etonogestrel releasing implant
- Ability to independently undertake genital examination and screening tests in both male and female patients
- Able to perform venepuncture
- In depth knowledge of sexual health including STI's and contraceptive methods
- Knowledge of National and local sexual health strategies
- Computer Literate
- Ability to respond to pressure and to prioritise workload
- Ability to formally assess educational programmes for post reg. students
- Good working knowledge of Clinical Governance agenda
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Basic bench microscopy skills
- Proven knowledge and experience of partner notification
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Evidence of good communication abilities
- Open and honest
- Ability to work on own initiative within professional limitations and as part of a team
- Car owner/driver and possess full UK drivers licence, or be mobile and able to visit locations as and when required
Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Blackpool Teaching Hospitals
Urban exchange, Mount street
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.