We are seeking a dynamic and enthusiastic Consultant to work in the London borough of Hillingdon, within one of our Perinatal Services based at Hillingdon Hospital.
The successful candidate will have excellent leadership qualities. They will be highly motivated and passionate about delivering high quality care for perinatal mental health.Main duties of the job
To provide clinical leadership to a team as a part of a multi-disciplinary service. The postholder will work closely with Perinatal Service colleagues to continuously improve the quality of perinatal care
Provide senior medical responsibility for the assessment and management of patients in perinatal service
Oversight of and contribution to robust care planning, risk assessment and risk management processes.
Support recruitment and ensure optimal retention of team members and uphold morale
Ensure good service quality and performance
Ensure training needs of psychiatry trainees and medical students are met as well as supporting training of other junior clinical staffAbout us
Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust (CNWL) is one of the largest Trusts in the UK, caring for people with a wide range of physical and mental health needs. We have approximately 7,000 staff that provide healthcare to a third of London's population and across wider geographical areas, including Milton Keynes, Kent, Surrey and Hampshire.As a Foundation Trust we involve service users, carers, the public, staff and partner organisations in the way that we are run and our future development. If you are interested in becoming a member of our Foundation Trust please visit our website.This post offers a very exciting opportunity to work in the London Borough of Harrow.
The CNWL Perinatal service is a high quality multidisciplinary community and liaison perinatal mental health service based across five CNWL London Boroughs. In the five boroughs served by CNWL Foundation Trust there are four Maternity Services with a projected delivery rate of 6,000/year. In addition there are approximately 4,000 deliveries in the private sector:
Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesClinical Duties of Post-Holder
- Hillingdon Hospital (Hillingdon Hospital's NHS Foundation Trust)
- Northwick Park Hospital (London North West Healthcare NHS Trust)
- Chelsea & Westminster (Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust)
- St Mary's Hospital (Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust)
- Management of complex cases
- Review of medication in pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Clinical leadership of team.
- Role in assessment of referrals/admissions.
- Care plan and treatment formulation within the trauma informed framework, guidance on evidence-based treatment and effectiveness.
- Liaison and collaborative working with other services/agencies.
- Mental Health Act implementation.
- Pre conception counselling clinic
- 32 week Pre birth planning meeting
- Multi-disciplinary, multi-agency and partnership working
- Ensure that physical health needs are addressed
- Review and monitoring of the caseload to ensure appropriate care packages are put in place and discharges facilitated to maintain patient flow.
- Following the cross-cover protocol that has been agreed with another team or colleague which will make sure appropriate cover is in place during absences
- To manage, appraise and provide professional supervision to junior medical staff as agreed between consultant colleagues and the medical director and in accordance with the Trusts personnel, policies and procedures.
- To ensure that junior medical staff working with the post holder, operate within the parameters of the New Deal and are Working Time Directive compliant.
- To undertake administrative duties associated with the care of patients.
- To record clinical activity accurately and comprehensively, and submit this promptly through the trusts clinical information systems.
- To participate in service and business planning activity for the locality and, as appropriate, for the whole mental health service.
- To participate in annual appraisal for consultants.
- To attend and participate in the academic program of the Trust, including lectures and seminars as part of the internal CPD program.
- To maintain professional registration with the General Medical Council, Mental Health Act Section 12(2) approval, and to abide by professional codes of conduct.
- To work with local managers and professional colleagues in ensuring the efficient running of services, and share with consultant colleagues in the medical contribution to management.
- To comply with the Trusts agreed policies, procedures, standing orders and financial instructions, and to take an active role in the financial management of the service and support the medical director and other managers in preparing plans for services
- To be flexible and willing to undertake differing duties according to the needs of the service, including representing the service at the Directorate strategic meetings.
- May also be required to provide cover for Specialty Doctors in emergencies. Arranging Locum cover will cater for planned leave cover for the Speciality Doctor.
- Medical degree
- MB BS or equivalent medical qualification.
- Qualification or higher degree in medical education, clinical research or management.
- MRCPsych OR MRCPsych equivalent approved by the Royal College of Psychiatrists
- Relevant higher degree (e.g. MD, PhD, MSc or other additional clinical qualifications
- Fully registered with the GMC with a licence to practise at the time of appointment.
- Included on the GMC Specialist Register OR within six months.
- Approved clinician status OR able to achieve within 3 months of appointment
- Approved under S12 OR able to achieve with 3 months of appointment
- In good standing with GMC with respect to warning and conditions on practice
CLINICAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCEEssential
- Holds and will use valid UK driving licence OR provides evidence of proposed alternative.
- Experience of assessing and treating patients in acute and community psychiatric settings
- Evidence of interest in Perinatal Mental Health
- Experience in leading a multidisciplinary team
- Excellent clinical skills using biopsycho-social perspective and wide medical knowledge
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Able to manage clinical complexity and uncertainty
- Demonstrate the leadership skills required to function successfully as a Consultant Psychiatrist
- IT skills relevant to working in a modern NHS environment
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Knowledge of recent developments and drug advances in perinatal psychiatry
- Knowledge of key issues associated with the development of Perinatal Mental Health Services
- Knowledge of NHS planning and commissioning processes
- Experience in Perinatal Mental Health Services
- Other relevant experience (e.g. specific psychological therapies)
Central and North West London NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Riverside Centre, Hillingdon Hospital
Pield Health Road
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.