My name is Alice Smilie, I am the Operational Manager of the John Radcliffe Pharmacy. I am privileged to lead our very hardworking, friendly, and committed Dispensary team in providing a dispensary service, supplyinginpatient,outpatient, and discharge medication to Patients of the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford.
We are looking to recruit an enthusiastic and highly motivated Registered Pharmacy Technician with a positive outlook to join our team, supporting both our Dispensary and Clinical services in ensuring that our patients receive the best care possible.
This post is ideal for a recently qualified Pharmacy Technician or a Pharmacy Technician who has worked in community pharmacy and would like the opportunity to gain hospital pharmacy experience. Applicants must hold the NVQ level 3 in Pharmacy services or equivalent recognised qualification, applicants must also be registered with the General Pharmaceutical Council.
Within this role you will receive full training to become both an Accredited Checking Technician and a Ward Based Technician, allowing you to progress to band 5 on completion of both of these accreditations. These accreditations will allow you to provide the final check of medicines, and support teams with medicines reconciliation and a variety of other ward based tasks. You will also have the opportunity to develop your leadership skills, working jointly with the Pharmacy Operational team to provide key co-ordinator support to the Dispensary team.Main duties of the job
The Pharmacy Technician role is varied, and requires flexibility in your approach to work, supporting both dispensary, stores and ward based work on the John Radcliffe Hospital site. The successful applicant will be required to assist in the smooth running of the dispensary, providing co-ordinator support to the dispensary team together with our Senior Technicians, or in the absence of the Senior Technician, and at weekends. You will support the training and induction of new members of the team, pharmacy apprentices, trainee technicians and pharmacists working alongside you.
This is a varied role including labelling and dispensing and checking duties, monitoring of workload and our tracking screen to support our TTO KPI, patient counselling and much more! Ward based tasks will include assessing of patients own drugs, medicines reconciliation and one stop ordering. Excellent customer service skills are essential in this role as you will answer the phone, dealing with queries from our service users, and cover both staff and out-patient reception. Stores responsibilities include supporting ward and fluid top up services to clinical areas, receipting of deliveries and stock management processes.
We are lucky to be supported by ever evolving technology, with electronic prescribing and a robot to support the labelling and dispensing of medications. The successful applicant will be trained in the full use of the robotic system.About usOxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
is one of the largest NHS teaching trusts in the country. It provides a wide range of general and specialist clinical services and is a base for medical education, training and research.
The Trust comprises four hospitals - the John Radcliffe Hospital, Churchill Hospital and Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre in Headington and the Horton General Hospital in Banbury.
Our values, standards and behaviours define the quality of clinical care we offer and the professional relationships we make with our patients, colleagues and the wider community. We call thisDelivering Compassionate Excellenceand its focus is on our values of compassion, respect, learning, delivery, improvement and excellence.
These values put patients at the heart of what we do and underpin the quality healthcare we would like for ourselves or a member of our family. Watch how we set out to deliver compassionate excellence via theOUH YouTube channel.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
The dispensary team is a friendly and hardworking team of 28 staff ranging from band 2 Assistants through to band 7 Technicians. Many of our dispensary based Technicians later go on to become Ward based band 5 Technicians or take other roles within the wider Pharmacy team and this role is ideal for gaining that experience to progress further in your career.
This is a full-time dispensary based position, 37.5 hours per week Monday to Friday, with working hours of 9:00-17:15, however flexible working options would also be considered. You will also be required to participate in weekend working on a 1:6 rota basis, bank holiday, early and late duty rotas as per rota.
If you are interested in an informal discussion about this role, we would be very happy to hear from you. You are welcome to call the number below, or to make an appointment so that we can show you around and answer your questions.
Please refer to the attached job description for further detailed information regarding the role and main responsibilities.Person SpecificationEssential QualitiesEssential
- Qualified Pharmacy Technician holding an NVQ Level 3 or other relevant qualification. Registered with GPhC
- Comprehensive dispensary experience in either Hospital or Community.
- Previous experience of training/supervision of other staff
- Enthusiastic and responsible attitude
- Good interpersonal and communication (written and verbal) skills with staff inside and outside of the department.
- Team player who is considerate to the needs and feelings of others in the Team and works to the Trust values.
- Able to acknowledge, appreciate and conform to change that occurs.
- Demonstrate an ongoing commitment to CPD and PDP
- Good time management, organisation and prioritisation skills and accurate in your work and with attention to detail.,
- Responsive to direction and constructive feedback.
- Basic all-round knowledge of Pharmacy Department
- Tidy and smart appearance Adhering to the Trust dress code.
- Accredited for Medicines Optimisation work or willing to undertake training
- Accredited Checking Technician or willing to undertake training
- Completion of recognised Leadership Training programme
- Considerate to the needs and feelings of others in the Team.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Uses own initiative and can work alone.
- Experience of using an automated dispensing system.
- A role model that demonstrates a professional attitude at all times.
- Experience of pharmacy stores and distribution
- Patient counselling skills
- Accurate in your work and attention to detail
- Conscientious approach to own work and able to produce evidence of CPD. Understands the changing roles of the Pharmacy Technician and what registration involves
- Experience in induction of new staff to the department
- Fire marshall/First aid trained or willing to undertake
- Holds Certificate of Competence in Vocational Assessment (CAVA) or willing to undertake
Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustAddress
John Radcliffe Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.