We are recruiting for a Research Manager who shares our vision to be trusted to provide consistently outstanding care and exemplary service to our patients
The Research Manager is a senior member of our Trust with overall responsibility for the day to day running of the Research Office covering the Lister, Hertford County and new QEII Hospitals to ensure that both Sponsored and hosted research is well managed and well governed in accordance with the UK Policy Framework for Health and Social Care Research and Trust policies and guidance.
The Trust has a long history of being research active with particular strengths in Cancer, Renal, Cardiovascular Disease and there is research across a range of other specialties. The research is a mixture of studies funded via external grants, studies that are commercially-funded, non-commercial studies that the Trust acts as a participating site and studies that support the training / development of staff (e.g. MSc, MD, PhD, Research Fellows). A high proportion of these studies are adopted to the NIHR Portfolio.
The successful candidate will play a key role in promoting research impact, liaising with the National Institute for Health Research and other external bodies.
Our Values are I
espect and I
mprove. It is important that you understand and refer to our values during your recruitment process and beyond!Main duties of the job
Responsibilities include line management of the Research Office staff, managing the system for registering and approving all new research proposals, providing research governance support as well as auditing, monitoring and preparation for MHRA inspection.
To manage the trust's research management and governance team, systems and assurance. This seeks to ensure that research is developed and delivered in accordance with the principles of good practice and takes into account legal requirements and other standards.
To communicate and collaborate with a number of key stakeholders within the research community in the UK and abroad. It will include communicating highly complex and highly sensitive and contentious information.
To represent and deputise for the Associate Director of Research in Research related meetings both internally and external to ENH.
Managing a local research system that ensures all local governance checks are undertaken for hosted and Trust-sponsored studies currently based on EDGE.
Work with support departments (radiology, physics, pharmacy and IT) to ensure systems for the appropriate review of research protocols in a timely and coordinated fashion.
Responsible for the effective recruitment and selection of staff in line with the Trust's Recruitment Code and Recruitment & Selection Processes and Standards.About us
At East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust, we are proud of the range of general & specialist services we provide & our 6,000 or so dedicated staff ensure our patients get the best care. Our ability to be flexible & innovative in the way in which we work and deliver our services to our catchment has never been more important than it is now.
We run the following hospitals:
- The Lister Hospital, Stevenage
- New Queen Elizabeth II (New QEII), Welwyn Garden City
- Hertford County, Hertford
- Mount Vernon Cancer Centre (MVCC), Northwood
We have ambitious plans to become an outstanding, patient-led Trust where dedicated staff provide high-quality, compassionate care to our patients. We continue to undergo significant transformation our staff & patients are at the heart of delivering this ambitious agenda.
We understand that finding and starting a new job is an important life decision. If you need reasonable adjustments for a disability, or a life event, such as menopause - so that we can consider your application fairly & to get the best out of you during the selection process, please let us know.
We are committed to a positive work life balance for our employees. Employees are entitled to seek to work flexible working patterns & we are committed to listen and consider all requests. Such requests, of course, have to be made & considered formally, & will need to be balanced against service needs, but our starting point will always be to find ways to support making them happen.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Please see the attached Job Description and Person Specification applicant pack for further detailed information regarding this role.Person SpecificationQualifications/TrainingEssential Desirable
- Clinical or health care qualification
- Relevant Masters level degree
- Evidence of at least two years experience of working in an R& D or clinical audit setting
- Demonstration of strategic thinking and strategy development
- Experience of research management and administration
- Participation in policy development and implementation
- Experience of working within a public service sector environment
- Experience of managing a wide range of complex duties
- Excellent organisational skills
- Teambuilding skills, including staff training
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Evidence of strong analytical skills and high level of numeracy
- Evidence of report compilation and writing skills
- Ability to work to tight deadlines under pressure
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Appreciation of research governance issues
- Familiarity with research ethics committee processes
- Appreciation of clinical research methodologies and trials organisation
East and North Herts NHS TrustAddress
Hertford County Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.