The post holder will work in the Islington Rapid Response and Virtual Ward (RRVW) team which is part of the wider multi-agency Islington Urgent Care Response service which supports hospital discharges and admission avoidance.
RRVW is co-located and integrated with therapy and adult social services colleagues and aims to respond to patient referrals in the community within 2 hours to prevent/reduce admission to hospital.
The post holder will primarily be working in Islington borough but may be required to see patients in other NCL boroughs, and may need to support UCLH@home, NMUH VW.
The post holder will proactively manage a caseload of patients requiring complex case management in order to prevent hospital admissions and facilitate early discharge to improve patient health outcomes. Patients requiring case management in the Rapid Response and Virtual Ward service will be identified by case-finding in the Ambulatory Emergency Care (AEC) unit, Accident and Emergency department, UCLH wards and also via Community referrals eg GP, Care Homes, Community Nurses, LAS etc.Main duties of the job
- Provide specialist, high quality, expert nursing care and support for patients who are suitable for Islington Urgent Response and Recovery team care in liaison with the multidisciplinary teams (MDT) through assessment and care planning.
- Initiate agreed range of diagnostic tests.
- Refer to other disciplines/professions when required.
- Support patients to self-manage, monitor their condition and make informed choices.
- Act as a named nurse for designated patients within the service
- Ensure that nursing documentation is maintained to high standards and to be a competent user of and participate in the ongoing development of the Trust's planned Electronic Patient Record
- Promote the development of evidenced based practice.
- Participate in clinical supervision to agreed standard.
- Ensure high standards of care are given to all patients.
Whittington Health serves a richly diverse population and works hard to ensure that all our services are fair and equally accessible to everyone. Nowhere is this more obvious than in the way we look after our staff. We aim to employ a workforce which is as representative as possible of this population, so we are open to the value of differences in age, disability, gender, marital status, pregnancy and maternity, race, sexual orientation, and religion or belief. The Trust believes that as a public sector organisation we have an obligation to have recruitment, training, promotion and other formal employment policies and procedures that are sensitive to these differences. We think that by doing so, we are better able to treat our patients as well as being a better place to work.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- Manage and co-ordination of patient care which includes daily triage and anything which is highlighted in your appraisal.
- Develop patient condition specific management plans with medical staff to improve patient clinical management
- Ensure other clinicians and those working within the team are aware of pathways and proceduresrelating to Islington Urgent Response and Recovery team. Disseminate any changes in policy and procedures ina timely manner and to work withinthe
- Promote the service and support clinical staff to facilitate the safe, effective and appropriate transfer of patients identified as suitable for Islington Urgent Response and Recovery team from ED, wards and the community.
- Work with and be responsible for the case management of patients identified for Islington Urgent Response and Recovery team.
Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential Desirable
- Attend appropriate internal and external meetings as representative of the department/Trust in relation to the Islington Urgent Response and Recovery team Nursing role and responsibilities.
- Post registration education in a relevant area
- Community Nursing skills, or willingness to expand field of knowledge and practice
- Advanced physical Assessment qualification or willingness to work towards
- Independent Nurse Prescriber or willingness to work towards
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Experience in Community/ A and E/ Care of the Elderly/ICU
- Understanding and insight into RRVW
Whittington Hospital NHS TrustAddress
Hornsey Rise Health Centre
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.