The Trust's Head of Data Engineering leads on the development and implementation of the data management strategy with a focus on the high-quality data architecture to ensure information is available for analytical, operational, and financial intelligence.
You will play an active role in creating opportunities to Transform Care across the Trust through the innovative use of data. You will actively participate in building and maintaining relationships with local and national partners and suppliers to maintain and improve opportunities for collaborative working and the sharing of data where appropriate.
The role will also be responsible for highly complex technical standards and provide expertise and advise to senior staff on technical matters and ensuring industry best practice is followed. You will have an active role in creating opportunities to transform care and operational processes across the Trust and beyond through the use of data.Main duties of the job
- Provide effective and visible leadership within Digital Services and across the Trust as appropriate.
- Use expertise, exercise autonomy in making decisions on behalf of the Digital services department and wider Trust in regard to data engineering.
- Advise on regional and national data requirements.
- Ensure there is a culture of innovation and industry standard best practice within data engineering.
- Engage with clinical, managerial, and operational staff to ensure that data services are fit for purpose, working always to optimise the contribution of the Data Engineering team and wider Digital Services department to support safe and effective service delivery and the positive transformation of care.
- Investigate and adopt relevant new technologies and best practices to enable staff to maximise the benefits of digital technologies.
- Interpreting current and future department and Trust data requirements and national digital technology directives and developing data flows and derived elements across the trust data architecture to support these requirements.
University Hospitals Bristol and Weston NHS Foundation Trust (UHBW) is one of the largest acute Trusts in the country, bringing together a combined workforce of over 13,000 staff and over 100 different clinical services across 10 different sites, serving a core population of more than 500,000 people across South West England. UHBW has been rated by the CQC as 'Good' overall and our staff are proud to deliver excellent care to the people of Bristol, Weston and beyond. As a forward-thinking multi-award winning Trust and a digital exemplar committed to improving patient care, our world-leading research and innovations are having a positive local and global impact. Our hospitals are spread across Bristol and Weston, join us and you can enjoy the very best of both worlds city living within a stone's throw of the countryside or beside the seaside, both with easy access to all that the South West has to offer. UHBW is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. As an equal opportunities employer actively working towards a diverse workforce we aim to recruit and retain a workforce which represents the rich diversity of the local population at all levels and are committed to designing our services around the needs of individual patients and those around them. Anonymous information will be used from your application in order to ensure we're meeting our pledge.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
For a more detailed job description, main responsibilities, and Person Specification, please refer to the job description document attached to this vacancy.Person SpecificationKnowledge and ExperienceEssential
- Significant experience of working in technical role within an NHS organization
- Experience of managing a team of technical staff
- Demonstrable experience of developing strategies, implementation plans and identification of resource requirements
- Experience of budgetary responsible with evidence of working knowledge of financial processes
- Experience of building effective cross functional working relationships to drive organisational agenda
- Proven ability of enabling teams to deliver to national deadlines and policies at short notice
- Significant experience in database systems development and management including back-up and disaster recovery procedures, design tools and user support
- Experience of successful development and maintenance of policies, procedures and day to day working practices in a technical development environment
- Experience in diagnosing, analysing and resolving complex technical issues and problems
- Experience of combining data from multiple systems and sources to improve insight
- Expert knowledge of relational database analysis, design, development and maintenance
- Understanding of the importance of data quality, and the need to raise and maintain
- Understanding of the Data Protection Act and information security principles
Skills and AbilitiesEssential
- Understanding of the role information can play within health to contribute to research and development
- Good understanding of NHS Commissioning Datasets, SUS+ and XML Validation requirements
- Experience of NHS data and the NHS Data Dictionary
- Member of relevant professional body, if applicable
- Ability to determine technical strategy and ensure alignment with enterprise goals
- Pro-actively explore new tools and technologies, set direction for modernising data and software architecture and build business cases for technical investment
- Ability to manage stakeholders' expectations and facilitate discussions across high risk or complexity or under constrained timescales
- Has advanced expertise in relevant tools, applications and systems and share your knowledge with others
- Exemplify best practice with methods and tools and guide others to a high standard
- Able to mediate between people and mend relationships, communicating with stakeholders at all levels
- Ability to predict and advise on future technology changes that present opportunities for products/programmes
- Initiate novel data flows and their data sharing agreements ensuring Information Governance legislation is adhered to and data security standards are built in at source
- Initiate novel software development ensuring latest cyber security standards are built in at source
- Able to investigate emerging trends in data and development related approaches, performing horizon scanning for the wider technical community
- Ability to apply and standardise stringent test conditions, mitigating against identified issues and risks
- Able to take responsibility for the lifecycle of the whole code library sponsoring continuous code reviews and refactoring
- Ability to positively represent the technical community to large audiences inside and outside healthcare
- Negotiate priorities for development and maintenance, balancing workloads with colleagues across the Trust
- Evidence of planning and delivering programmes and projects and services on time
- Experience of delivering against competing priorities and deadlines while also directing the work of teams/individuals
- Has a good working knowledge of Office 365, Power BI, Power Apps, and Power Automate
- Able to maintain long periods of intense concentration
- Set local standards for programming tools and techniques and nominate appropriate development methods
- Ability to anticipate and remove blockages to the processing of data and influence senior stakeholders to facilitate the creation and flow of appropriate data
Qualifications and TrainingEssential
- Commitment to and focused on quality, promoting high standards in all they do
- Able to make a connection between their work and the benefit to patients and the public
- Excellent interpersonal skills to enable the postholder to develop and maintain robust working relationships with multi-professional staff groups in the division, wider Trust and partners in the local health and social care community
- Excellent written, oral and presentation skills to allow effective communication
- Able to concentrate in interruptive environments under pressure and to irregular schedules
- Well-developed negotiating skills to allow agreement of changes to practice and the adoption of new technologies to improve effectiveness where there is resistance to change and the need for tact, sensitivity and diplomacy
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Educated to masters level or equivalent experience
- Evidence of continuous professional development
- Advanced theoretical and practical knowledge of Data Engineering techniques, practices and methodologies
University Hospitals Bristol and Weston NHS Foundation Trust (UHBW)Address
Southwell Street Building
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.