We are looking for an enthusiastic and motivated pharmacy technician work as part of the Dispensary Team at Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital. You will play a role the delivery of pharmaceutical care to a diverse group of patients. You will work in a structured environment providing support to the wider team to meet directorate targets. You will already possess an accredited checking qualification.
Please note this post is a fixed term position to cover maternity leave.Main duties of the job
Key performances areas are:
- Checking of screened prescriptions
- Assisting with stock control and inventory management
- Supervising and training of junior team members
- Undertaking audit and project work
Successful candidates must also be able to demonstrate:
- Excellent interpersonal skills in a multidisciplinary environment
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
- The flexibility to adapt to changing demands
- The ability to work to precise timescales and deadlines
For all pharmacy technician posts you require to have successfully completed an NVQ Pharmaceutical Services Level 3 or equivalent and be registered as a Pharmacy Technician with the General Pharmaceutical Council.
Further information on the role and its requirements can be found in the attached job description and person specification documentationAbout us
Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust comprises five of the UK's best known hospitals - Guy's, St Thomas', Evelina London Children's Hospital, Royal Brompton and Harefield - as well as community services in Lambeth and Southwark, all with a long history of high quality care, clinical excellence, research and innovation.
The Pharmacydepartments of Guys and St Thomas' provide safe and effective pharmaceutical ward and dispensary services to the many inpatients and outpatients of the Trust's many specialities.
The post holder must demonstrate their commitment to upholding the Trust values, within which we carry out our roles: Put patients first
- consider the patient's needs and wishes in all that they do Take pride in what they do
- strive for highest standards on own work and challenge colleagues to do the same Respect others
- patients, visitors and colleagues. Actively give and receive feedback Strive to be the best
- in terms of patient care & teamwork Act with integrity
- maintain the privacy & dignity of patients, work with integrity and be trustworthy, be accountable for own workJob descriptionJob responsibilitiesDUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES Carries out the final check of the dispensing process as an accredited checking technician. Counsels patients and carers on the use of their medication as required. Deputises for the principal pharmacy technician where relevant. Support the principal pharmacy technician to ensure pharmacy assistants, student pharmacy technicians and post-qualification pharmacy technician training is accommodated within the department (including dispensing accuracy and ACT). Supports the patient services lead, dispensary manager and principal pharmacy technician in the day to day operation of the dispensary Assists the principal pharmacy technician with induction, training and development of staff working within the section/department. Supports the principal pharmacy technician in ensuring that trust policies and procedures are implemented and adhered to. To complete the dispensary clinical trial accreditation. Participates in the timely, accurate and cost-effective dispensing of medication which may include clinical trials, chemotherapy and unlicensed medicines. Supports the principal pharmacy technician in the supervision of and technical operation of the dispensary. Participates in ward based supply when required as part of the role. Undertakes environmental monitoring for technical quality assurance, where appropriate. This will include investigating and responding to alarms from the temperature monitoring system including clinical trials material that has been affected by any temperature alerts. Resolves stock discrepancies following correct procedure. Actions drug alerts. Carries out appraisals as required and ensures appropriate records are kept. Is involved in recruitment of technical staff and pharmacy assistants when necessary. Participates in departmental audits and project work as necessary. Responsible for ensuring equipment, furnishings, etc. are maintained. Works with other senior pharmacy technicians and principal pharmacy technicians to maintain good communication and efficient working throughout the service. DISPENSARY CO-ORDINATION Assist in directing the daily work flow. To take responsibility and be accountable for their designated station within dispensary on rotation (controlled drugs, training and medicines safety, dispensary coordination). Ensure all daily KPIs are achieved with full utilisation of electronic systems i.e. PTS and PDAs. To final accuracy check controlled drugs. Health and safety for the dispensary. Assist with stock management and sundries including daily stock checks. Maintenance of working environment. Responsible for the management of waste and medication returns ensuring recycling and destruction procedures are adhered to. Ensure stock rotation and management to reduce expired medication and stock losses. To respond to and rectify robot errors to ensure safe and efficient continuity of workflow. TRAINING AND EDUCATION To participate in the induction and training of pharmacy assistants, students, qualified technicians and junior pharmacists. To update and maintain training plans for new and existing junior staff. To support staff in accessing training relevant to their roles and to support career progression.
To participate in the assessments and appraisals of the rotational and pre-registration technicians. To undertake CPD and to attend courses in practice areas where needs are identified. GOVERNANCE To support the dispensary manager in the investigation incident reports. To share learning and best practice from incidents with the rest of the team as appropriate. To feedback on dispensing errors, deviations from SOPs as appropriate. CONTROLLED DRUGS (CDs) To be responsible and accountable for CD stock maintenance using the Omnicell cabinet. To investigate and rectify CD discrepancies daily or as soon as an error is found. To maintain accurate CD records inclusive of CD stationary. To train and supervise junior staff working with CDs. OTHER DUTIES Where required to participate in the technical ward, stores and distribution cover. To participate in the departmental performance review scheme by attending regular review sessions with the principal pharmacy technician. To participate in the various departmental rotas, including Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays, lock-up and late-night duties. To participate in any other duties requested by the Dispensary Manager. The job description will be reviewed on an annual basis or as required in consultation with the post holder.
- To work in-line with Trust Policies and procedures including the equal opportunities policy.
- To partake in quality improvement or project work as directed by the dispensary manager.
Further information on the role and its requirements can be found in the attached job description and person specification documentationPerson SpecificationSkillsEssential
- Works to set procedures
- Works accurately under pressure
- Communicates clearly and effectively in both written and spoken English
- Experience dispensing clinical trials
- Delivery of induction and competency based training
- Previous hospital pharmacy experience
- Supervision and mentoring junior pharmacy staff
- Checking medicines in a hospital pharmacy environment
- Registered with the General Pharmaceutical Council as a Technician
- Accredited Checking Technician qualification (or undertaking ACT)
- NVQ/ BETECH or equivalent
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Management or supervisory qualification
- Recruitment and selection training and PDR training
- Training qualification e.g. A1 Assessors award
Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation TrustAddress
St Thomas' Hospital
Westminster Bridge Road
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.