Are you looking for a new challenge?
We are looking for an enthusiastic, motivated nurse to join our busy and expanding Pre-Op Assessment and Surgical Arrivals Unit. Current or previous experience in this role is essential.
We work closely with a multidisciplinary team to ensure our patients are safely assessed and prepared for elective surgery, and then we also greet and prepare patients on the day of surgery.
On our recent inspection by the CQC we were rated as GOOD.
If you would like to join our dynamic team at the time of expansion and be part of our development - we would really like to hear from you.Main duties of the job
To assess patient fitness for elective surgery - candidate must have experience in this role
The postholder will ensure that high standards of care are consistently delivered to the patient arriving for preassessment or for surgery.
The postholder will deliver preassessment clinics and will at times oversee the surgical arrivals lounge and administer any pre-operative medication ordered by anaesthetists.
To work closely with the department / Lead Nurse and multi-disciplinary team members in monitoring and maintaining policies, standards of nursing care, staff and service development with in the department / clinic environment.
To act as a role model for other members of the team.
To act as a patient advocate, ensuring a positive patient experience.About us
Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust provides hospital services to a growing population of around 700,000 people living across Bedfordshire and the surrounding areas across two busy hospital sites in Bedford and Luton. Both hospital sites offer key services such as A& E, Obstetrics-led Maternity and Paediatrics.
You will be joining a friendly, high performing Trust committed to ensuring the health and wellbeing of staff. As one of the largest NHS Trusts in our region you will have access to a programme of high quality training and development to help you grow your career.
We have state-of-the art facilities placing us at the heart of cutting edge health care. The Trust continues to be committed to delivering the best patient care using the best clinical knowledge and technology available.
Please note that vacancies may close prior to the advertised closing date when sufficient number of applications have been received. Please ensure that you make your application as soon as possible.
All new staff will be subject to a probationary period covering their first six months in post. Travel between hospital sites may be required.
Please review all documents attached to this advert to ensure you familiarize yourself with all requirements of the job.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- To be able to work as an autonomous practitioner with skills in assessing,planning and implementing and evaluating patient care with protocols.
- Carry a caseload and organise own workload
- To act as the named nurse for patients within the preassessment and surgical arrivals department.
- To undertake a nursing assessment, obtaining a detailed past medical history, maintaining an accurate patient record and completion of all documentation which will ensure seamless multidisciplinary commmunication
- To undertake a risk assessment for the patient undergoing anaesthesia and surgery
- Ordering of appropriate clinical investigations, blood tests and ECGs, MRSA screening and then be able to implement appropriate intervention based on the results of these investigations, cancelling patients if surgery inappropriate or referring to other specialities for investigation or advice.
- Identify cultural requirements, communication and other special needs.
- Adhere to all Trust Policies to maintain professional, clinical and patient safety.
- Current Acute Registered Nurse with the NMC
- Degree in Nurse related specialty or working towards
- Mentorship or teaching qualification
- Experience of working in an acute hospital setting
- Evidence of further education, training and on-going learning
- Previous experience as a Pre-Op Nurse
- To recognise and escalate abnormal blood results
- Delivering pre-assessment clinics
- Administering any pre-operative medication ordered by anaesthetists
- Ability to use computers and software such as Word/Excel or the equivalent
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Competent in the administration of intravenous medication
Bedfordshire Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Luton & Dunstable Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.