An opportunity has arisen for a Specialist Respiratory Physiologist in Sleep and Ventilation to become an integral part of a highly motivated and enthusiastic team in the Lung Function Department at Homerton University Hospital.
Our service provides a large range of physiological studies including routine lung function tests, exercise tests, broncho-provocation tests, bronchodilator studies, sleep studies, capillary blood gas analysis and skin testing.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the operational management of the Sleep and CPAP service, providing expert professional leadership. They will also be expected to deputise for the Senior Chief Respiratory Physiologist therefore a proven track record of demonstrating strong decision making and managerial skills is essential.
Please Note: Previous Applicants need not to applyMain duties of the job
Main duties include:
- To perform a range of lung function tests including spirometry, capillary blood sampling and LTOT assessment.
- To perform a full range of sleep studies including home oximetry, domiciliary respiratory sleep studies, in-house full polysomnography and CPAP titrations.
- To interpret the data generated on all tests and produce reports commenting on any abnormal results and identifying whether they are physiological or due to mechanical or technical error.
- Advise patients on the use of CPAP and have a leading role in the development and running of the CPAP clinic.
- Instruct patients on the use of oximeters, home sleep study equipment, nebulisers and good inhaler technique.
- Assess training and instruct more junior staff in the techniques used within the department.
- Perform Transcutaneous CO2 studies
- Support and participate in education and training programmes in the department and maintain skills and competence with CPD plans.
Homerton Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust is a high performing and flourishing organisation serving the population of Hackney, East London, The City and beyond.
We are extremely proud of the fact that Homerton Hospital has recently attained the highest possible rating of Outstanding from the Care Quality Commission (CQC).
Our integrated Trust provides comprehensive hospital and community health services for its local population and a range of specialist services for a wider group of patients. In addition, the Trust manages services out of St Leonard's Hospital and the Mary Seacole Nursing Home.
Homerton aims to ensure equality and value diversity, and we are committed to inclusion for all of our staff. This is reflected in our policies, procedures and People Plan. All of our staff are expected to embody our Trust values at all times.
We are also committed, through our Fair Recruitment Standards, to ensuring all applicants are treated fairly.
Homerton has a proud tradition of supporting and developing its staff, including its well-regarded and valued nursing community, and all staff are able to take advantage of a great range of benefits.
Homerton is proud to have been included on the HSJ & Nursing Times Best Places to Work list.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
The full job description provides an overview of the key tasks and responsibilities of the role, and the person specification outlines the qualifications, skills, experience, and knowledge required. For both documents, please view the attachment/s on this page.
The person specification below is not the full person specification but outlines the criteria against which your application form will be assessed.Person SpecificationEducation / QualificationsEssential
- Respiratory Physiology Degree or equivalent.
- BSc in Respiratory care.
Skills / AbilitiesEssential
- Registration with RCCP / NMC / CSP
- Able to work effectively as an individual and as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Evidence of implementing innovation or having responsibility for part of service delivery.
- Have good knowledge of Microsoft Office and Excel.
- Have good written and verbal communication skills.
- Substantive post qualification experience in Respiratory Medicine
- Experience in CPAP.
- Experience of lung function testing and rationale.
- Experience of teaching small groups using various presentation media.
- Have knowledge /experience of advanced sleep physiology and monitoring techniques.
- Knowledge/understanding of confidentiality issues
- Knowledge of Respiratory Physiology and its disorders
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Understanding and demonstration of the Trust Values.
Homerton Healthcare NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Homerton Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.