We are excited to offer this new SLT post as a development in the team.
We are looking for a highly motivated specialist Speech & Language Therapist to join our one of a kind Older Peoples Mental Health Unit in Chesterfield. Here at the Walton Unit we provide assessment and treatment services for older adults with organic illness, we are incredibly proud both of the service we provide and the team that goes the extra mile to make a difference.Main duties of the job
The post holder will work as part of a wider multi-disciplinary team to support people with mental health disorder and distress alongside behaviour that challenges whilst also working with and supporting their families and friends, in doing this the successful candidate will become an integral part of the clinical leadership team. You will be joining colleagues from Physio, OT, Psychology and Nursing.
This role is directly linked to the Walton unit with a focus on initially establishing and embedding the SLT offer to the MDT and for patients. The post holder would extend the role to ensure the SLT delivery of care to older patients with dementia and associated mental health issues is evidence based, effective and promotes better outcomes in the community.
It is proposed that after an approximate 6 month period this role would be split across the Walton unit (0.4wte) and the adult community SLT service (0.2wte), and that there would be allocated B6 SLT input of 0.2wte (from the mainstream SLT service) into the Walton unit maintaining the 0.6wte overall input to the unit.
This will enable skill development across the staffing cohort on the Walton unit, enable greater consistency of cover for the Walton unit with two SLT colleagues, and improve the community SLT delivery of care across all SLT roles in the community service to people with dementia and complex needs.About us
Our purpose is to provide community health services to a patient population of over one million people in Derbyshire and Derby, as part of Joined Up Care Derbyshire.
We employ around 4,200 substantive staff, caring for patients in 11 community hospitals and more than 30 health centres, as well as in clinics, GP practices, schools, care homes and, increasingly, in people's own homes and via virtual consultations.
During the pandemic response we have led the implementation of public vaccination centres in collaboration with partners across health and social care. Job descriptionJob responsibilities
We are looking for a HCPC and RCSLT registered Speech and Language Therapist, with developed skills, working with patients with dypsphagia and communication impairment.
Your role will be to enable development of support for complex communication needs that impact on behaviours in this cohort of patients.
The SLT input will provide direct patient care for communication and swallowing difficulties and provide a focus for supporting training of colleagues to support the communication needs of patient, develop the whole ward environment for supporting and managing complex communication needs, alongside ensuring consistent MDT approaches to supporting patients.
The role will also enable continuity of care delivery for patients who are discharged from the unit to community settings to support effective placement and minimise breakdown of care and return to inpatient settings, both directly and through the close links with the adult community SLT service.
The post holder will:
- Be able to demonstrate leadership skills in developing service provision and clinical pathways relating to this specialism.
- Will have a commitment to providing a high standard of patient-focussed care and be a strong team player, with the ability to lead and influence others.
- Will be employed by Derbyshire Community Health Services NHS FT as part of their SLT service and as such have access to a team of colleagues with a range of skills and commitment to providing high standards of evidence based approaches, you will be supported by a SLT team leader.
We are a large and dynamic Speech and Language Therapy service of over 100 staff, working across all service areas in Derbyshire. Please review the Job Description and Person Specification. To apply, please click APPLY FOR THIS JOB - this link will take you to the TRAC Recruitment Site. You will need to register if you do not already have an account
You will be confident in providing leadership, vision and have the ability to engage and inspire others.Person SpecificationEducation , Qualifications and TrainingEssential
- Recognised SLT Degree qualification or equivalent
- HCPC registered, membership of RCSLT
- Relevant advanced experience post qualification in specialist SLT field.
- Evidence of leadership courses, training.
- Commitment to high quality, patient focussed care
- Self-motivated with focus on continued improvement
- Able to motivate and enable others
Skills and attributesEssential
- Recent and relevant, post-qualification experience
- Experience of supervising a range of SLTs, assistants and support staff.
- Ability to negotiate and influence as an equal at consultant level across the MDT and other agencies.
- Contribute to the development of clinical policies.
- In depth knowledge of national policies and procedures ( relevant to specialist client group)
- Ability to meet the travel requirements of the post
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Evidence of contributions to publications
- Evidence of presentations at conferences, local/regional/national or international
Derbyshire Community Health Services NHSFTAddress
Walton Hospital and Derbyshire Community
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.