The postholder will support patients with severe eating disorders in our day unit. We provide an intense programme of group therapies, meal support and 1:1 sessions with the aim of helping our patients recover from their eating disorder in the community and avoid an inpatient admission to a specialist eating disorders hospital.
We currently run the programme Monday to Friday, 4 days a week in person and one day a week virtually via MS Teams. Working hours are 8.15am to 4.15pm but there is a plan to offer an evening meal to our patients one day a week which will mean working till 6.30pm.
In many cases the patients will have had a long and complex history of eating disorders and are at high physical risk. However, the post holder will always be part of a multidisciplinary team and will be supported in all decisions.
All staff should comply with the Trust's Anti-Discriminatory Statement, Employee Charter, Trust Policies and Procedures, Code of Conduct and Equality and Diversity.Main duties of the jobClinical Practice -
Run the unit day-to-day, shift-leading the Team.
Participate in comprehensive weekly medical monitoring of patients, to include bloods (training will be given) or more frequently dependent on need.
Recognise the physical health risks associated with Eating Disorders and act upon them to optimise patient safety at all times.
Recognise when care escalation is clinically indicated, effectively assessing acuity and implementing the evidence-based MEED guidelines as a point of reference.
Effectively apply the SBAR communication tool when escalating care using a systematic and coherent approach.
Effectively utilise the expertise of the MDT in optimising the safety of persons with Eating Disorders.
PLEASE REFER TO JD/PS ATTACHED FOR MORE INFOAbout us
Hertfordshire Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust (HPFT) is an exceptional organisation with big ambitions, our aim is to be the leading provider of mental health and specialist learning disability services in the country
With a workforce of c. 3,000 and an annual income of c. �200m, the Trust is organised across three Strategic Business Units and provides integrated health and social care services through a large network of community and inpatient settings, serving diverse communities across Hertfordshire, Norfolk,
North Essex and Buckinghamshire. As a university trust, HPFT continues to develop strong links with the University of Hertfordshire providing excellent learning and development opportunities, as well as strengthening our clinical research capability.
Whilst it is a challenging period for the NHS, there has never been a more exciting time to join HPFT following our CQC rating of Outstanding awarded to us in April 2019. We are on our Good to Great journey as we continue to innovate, improve, transform and ultimately deliver the very highest standards of care to the service users and communities that we serve.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- Will run the unit day-to-day, shift-leading the Team.
- Will participate in comprehensive weekly medical monitoring of patients, to include bloods (training will be given) or more frequently dependent on need.
- Will recognise the physical health risks associated with Eating Disorders and act upon them to optimise patient safety at all times.
- Will recognise when care escalation is clinically indicated, effectively assessing acuity and implementing the evidence-based MEED guidelines as a point of reference.
- Will effectively apply the SBAR communication tool when escalating care using a systematic and coherent approach.
- Will effectively utilise the expertise of the MDT in optimising the safety of persons with Eating Disorders.
- Will support the Physical Health Lead Nurse in the ongoing assessment of patient's physical health.
- Will show willingness to develop skills in ECG, Phlebotomy, Blood Glucose Monitoring and Vital Signs Monitoring.
- Will effectively adopt a collaborative approach workingwith the patient to optimise their physical health, applying concepts of Health Education and Health Promotion.
- Will demonstrate willingness to engage in CPD and 'lifelong learning' and contribute to the innovative and forward-thinking approach of the day unit.
- Will function as a key worker to an individual or group of patients as allocated, taking responsibility for formulation of appropriate care plans.
- Will liaise with all co-workers and will ensure they are fully conversant with all aspects regarding the patients care and treatment, particularly during transitions in and out of the unit.
- Will identify the individual care needs of allocated patients and plan, implement and evaluate all care programmes in conjunction with the units MDT.
- Will maintain close liaison with all staff involved in a patients care and report on progress and effectiveness to the MDT, the Team Leader and the Consultant Psychiatrist.
- Will participate in clinical reviews, case conference, etc and will prepare reports on patients as required.
- Will liaise with GPs, Hospital Consultants, and other professionals outside of the MDT.
- Will be a role model through their own good practice.
- Assist the team in maintaining effective team working processes including outcome measures.
- Will develop regular teaching sessions within the clinical environment.
- Will be aware of all policy documents and legal requirements concerning the unit and ensure that these are adhered to e.g. Mental Health Act.
- Will demonstrate clinical procedures to appropriate grades of staff.
- Will be fully conversant and ensure compliance with NMC codes of conduct and practice
PLEASE REFER TO JD/PS ATTACHED FOR MORE INFOPerson SpecificationQUALIFICATIONS/EDUCATION/TRAININGEssential
- Live registration with NMC
- Evidence of Mentorship and Preceptorship Training
- Experience of working in mental health Settings.
- Detailed knowledge of legislation and practice guidelines concerning adult acute mental health
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Experience of working with people with an eating disorder.
Hertfordshire Partnership University NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Rosanne House, Parkway, Welwyn Garden City, AL8 6HG
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.