An exciting opportunity to work within an expanding Endoscopy unit at St Richards Hospital.
St Richards Endoscopy is part of the University Hospitals covering the South Coast. The Endoscopy unit offers a high level of training and development within the field. The unit is JAG accredited and has 4 endoscopy rooms.
The post holder will be supported by a team of Consultant Endoscopists and existing non-medical endoscopists. The nurse endoscopist will act as a clinical expert and professional resource to the multi-professional team, patients and carers within their specialist service. This will include the management of a caseload of patients. The post holder's will be supported to develop their working practice to a level whereby they directly or indirectly influence all aspects of care and management of patients within the specialty.
There will be opportunities for involvement in service development projects and research.Main duties of the job
The successful candidate will be expected to act as an autonomous clinical expert in gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy nursing practice and work effectively as part of the multidisciplinary team.
The post holder will be a role model for professional practice, exercising accountability and providing support and leadership within the endoscopy team.
The post holder's primary role will be to undertake diagnostic and therapeutic upper and/or lower GI endoscopy.
The successful candidate will be independent in either diagnostic gastroscopy or colonoscopy and be supported to work towards further accreditation.About us
Join us atUHSussex, every day is different, you can be the change, better never stops
At UHSussex we're proud to be at the heart of the NHS. As one of the UK's largest acute Trusts, we're a leading example of the excellence, the ambition and the values that have embodied the NHS for over 70 years. Improving lives:
We are a vibrant and inclusive organisation, with hardworking, talented and dedicated individuals, who work together towards a common goal, to always put our Patient First. Our mission is summed up by our 'where better never stops' motto and no matter the role at UHSussex, you will play a part in driving us forwards and in improving the lives of patients across Sussex. We treat our patients and staff with the same compassion and empathy we expect for ourselves. We're here for them when they need us, and we go above and beyond to meet their needs. This can be seen in our wellbeing programme for staff which is extensive and designed to support you when you need it because we know that to look after others we must first look after ourselves. Build a career with us:
As a university trust and a leader in healthcare research, we value learning, teaching and training so that we can be the best that we can be. From the moment you start with us and throughout your career we will help you to grow and develop. We hope that in choosing UHSussex you are choosing a long and happy career where you will be able to see the difference you make and feel valued for all that you do.Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesClinical
Please see Job Description for more information.Person SpecificationTrained in undertaking Ensoscopic proceduresEssential
- The nurse endoscopist will be allocated a caseload from consultant colleagues to undertake patient investigations, manage patient care and undertake all appropriate correspondence for patients in their care with primary and secondary care colleagues within their professional competence.
- The post holder must be skilled and proficient in undertaking informed consent, including discussion of the risks, complications and alternatives to treatment ensuring this information is delivered in a manner which the patient can understand. Where a person lacks capacity to make an informed decision, or give consent, the post-holder must act in accordance with the requirement of the Mental Capacity Act and associated code of practice.
- Independently perform diagnostic / therapeutic GI endoscopy for patients who fit into the nurse endoscopist criteria.
- Assess patient fitness for procedure, including patients who may have highly complex past medical history or health care needs. Discuss patients, whose fitness for a procedure may be in doubt, with the referring Consultant or medical practitioner to ensure the patient receives appropriate treatment.
- To apply advanced communication skills to establish a relationship and build a rapport with patients to lessen patient anxiety prior to the procedure
- To flexibly manage responsibility for own clinical caseload and to seek support from clinical colleagues in the management of complex cases and where necessary to transfer care to a consultant colleague.
- Act based on own interpretation of clinical findings, referring the patient on to specialist medical/surgical teams as appropriate
- Use expert and specialised clinical and theoretical knowledge to safely and appropriately assess and diagnose patients, requesting further tests and investigations in a timely manner.
- To undertake advanced venepuncture and cannulation on complex patients where manual dexterity and skill is required
- The post holder will apply highly specialist knowledge and experience to manage complex patients before, during and after their procedure and where necessary communicating with patients, relatives and relevant health care professionals to ensure care is continued in the appropriate setting
- The post holder will apply advanced skills to assess the patients level of understanding about their clinical condition and simplify complex medical information for patients, giving explanations of the possible diagnosis and treatment required to ensure that patient is fully informed and encouraged to engage with their own healthcare.
- The post holder will deliver highly sensitive or difficult information, regarding possible diagnosis, to the patient and will communicate findings to the appropriate multi-disciplinary team colleagues to ensure the patient is followed up and supported in the appropriate manner.
- Provide comprehensive reports, utilising appropriate reporting systems, to ensure findings are communicated to the referring Consultant colleague or medical practitioner
- Ensure the effective use of specialist endoscopy equipment to deliver comprehensive and compassionate patient care in line with practice and services.
- Undertake placement of Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy tubes with Consultant Gastroenterologist / Nutrition Nurse specialist when required.
- Contribute to developing clinical governance within the endoscopy team, including undertaking quality improvements using audit findings.
- Attend relevant meetings to deliver formal presentations about audit findings, and/or recommendations for changes to practice to consultant colleagues and senior managers
- Take a lead role in research and audit activities relevant to endoscopy, for the trust and utilise findings to change practice, where appropriate.
- Participate in processes for JAG accreditation and GRS census submissions.
- Devise systems for monitoring standards which are able to demonstrate continual improvements in the quality of patient care.
- Develop competencies which safeguard practice and effectiveness in role as a credible and accountable practitioner. Ensuring compliance with NMC/HPC Codes of Conduct.
- Demonstrate awareness of, and participation in development and management of the service to meet demands, and adapt to the changing needs of the service.
- Develop protocols for role development and skill enhancement within the team whilst maintaining a distinct nursing focus.
- Consider cost improvement measures, including appropriate use of equipment and measures to generate income
- Act as a leader and role model to set standards and develop protocols, policy and guidance for the management of patients with suspected GI cancers / disease.
Competent in GastroenterologyEssential
- Has met JETs requirement for scope numbers annually
Train the TrainersEssential
- Has met JETs requirement for scope numbers annually for OGD and Colonoscopy
- Has undertaken teaching certificate
- Has completed JAG TTT course
- Evidence of undertaking JAG related Audits
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Evidence of managing own clinic
University Hospitals Sussex NHS Foundation Trust (279)Address
St Richards Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.