To provide an easily accessible children and young people friendly, clinicallyeffective, high-quality public health service to school age children, youngpeople and their families.
To increase the knowledge and skills of children, young people and theirparents/carers/families to reduce health inequalities which impact on theircurrent and future well-being enabling and empowering them to meet theirhealth needs appropriately.
To contribute to the safeguarding and protection of school age children at risk of abuse and provide ongoing monitoring, support and advice to these children and their families.
The School Nurse will be responsible for supporting the School Nurses Band 6 in the provision and development of a comprehensive health service for school aged children in Powys Teaching Health Board.Main duties of the jobFixed Term for up to 2 years to cover other absence
An exciting opportunity has arisen for the recruitment of a Band 5 School Nurse in the South Powys area, there will be an expectation that the successful applicant will be willing and able to travel to support colleagues throughout South Powys. The successful applicant will be working alongside experienced School Nurses.
Experience of working with children and young people is essential and the post holder will need to demonstrate a broad understanding of their health issues. Excellent interpersonal skills are required as is a positive attitude to the public health role that school nurses undertake.
Experience will be gained of autonomous working within a skilled and supportive team. The post holder will deliver a wide range of services to address the health and wellbeing needs of the clients, working with multi agency, multi-disciplinary partners in a range of settings.
Requests for part-time hours will be considered.
Please see the job description and person specification for more details.
The ability to speak Welsh is desirable for this post Welsh and/or English speakers are equally welcome to apply.About us
Being the smallest Heath Board in Wales means that you won't get lost in the crowd. Everybody at Powys Teaching Health Board is valued for the contribution they make to our varied and diverse portfolio of community-based services. Together, we can continue to make a real difference to our patients and build on our unrivalled reputation.
As a supportive and progressive employer, we actively encourage you to carve out a career with us, through a range of development pathways. We're also lucky enough to be situated in one of the most beautiful rural counties in Britain, let alone Wales! Achieving a healthy 'life work' balance is essential, and something we recognise by prioritising your well-being.
To start your journey with us, and to learn more about what we can offer you please visit: https://pthb.nhs.wales/working-for-us/. There you will find information about our benefits and values, read staff experiences and more about what our beautiful county has to offer. The ability to speak Welsh is desirable for this post English and/or Welsh speakers are equally welcome to apply
.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
You will be able to find a full Job description and Person Specification attached within the supporting documents or please click Apply now to view in Trac.Person SpecificationQualifications and/or KnowledgeEssential
- Registered Nurse - currently registered with NMC
- Teaching and Assessing
- School Nursing experience
- Evidence of continuous professional development
- Experience of collaborative working
- Experience of working with children and young people
Aptitude & AbilitiesEssential
- Experience of delivering immunisation programmes
- Experience of working in a multi-disciplinary multi-agency team
- Experience of working in the community
- Experience of Child Protection and Safeguarding
- Paediatric nursing experience
- Ability to work in a team
- Good interpersonal skills including good negotiation and conflict management skills
- Reflective practitioner
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally, electronically and in writing
- Good organisational and time management skills
- Able to assess, plan and evaluate care
- Physical skills to include manual dexterity as required to undertake screening of children and immunisations
- Understanding of normal child and young person health and development
- Knowledge and understanding of the legal and ethical issues that affect children and young people
- Enthusiastic and innovative
- Proactive Perceptive to change Problem solver Pleasant and approachable
Values & OtherEssential
- Ability to speak Welsh
- Knowledge of common child health and development needs
- Understanding of contribution made by School Nursing to Public Health
- Dynamics and implications of team, multi-disciplinary and multi-agency working
- Good presentation skills
- Able to practice independently in a variety of settings
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Demonstrate PTHB Values
- Ability to travel to a number of locations
Powys Teaching Health BoardAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.