The People and Operations Manager is responsible for providing an effective, engaging and compliant working experience for the CRN's Core Team of around 60 people.
You can find out more about the CRN WE in our Regional Strategy.
From October 2024, the CRN West of England will change to become the Regional Research Delivery Network South West Central. The post-holder will play an important part in supporting the smooth transition to this new organisation, both in terms of administrative support and in helping to embed new ways of working.Main duties of the job
- Coordination of HR processes, from recruitment and induction, through to performance and sickness-absence management, and appraisal and development. This will include liaising closely with UHBW as our Host Organisation, as well as with other Partner Organisations to ensure that cross-site working arrangements are in place for our WE ReACH Direct Delivery Team and for the appointment of our clinical leadership roles.
- Supporting our team across both physical and virtual settings. This will include aspects of office management, including health and safety compliance and basic facilities management, as well as supporting colleagues with our virtual collaborative workspaces (e.g. Google Workspace, Microsoft Teams).
- Ensuring that processes are implemented for effective and compliant working, in accordance with UHBW and NIHR requirements, while also striving to continually improve the way in which we work. The post-holder will play an important role in coordinating the CRN WE's annual business planning cycle.
- Working as part of a team, supporting aspects of staff learning, development and wellbeing, as well as assisting with events and internal communications
This role will be expected to work as part of a rota to ensure that our Whitefriars office has face-to-face support from our People and Operations Team each weekday. This will typically involve at least 40% of the post-holder's working time being spent in the office.About us
University Hospitals Bristol and Weston NHS Foundation Trust (UHBW) is one of the largest acute Trusts in the country, bringing together a combined workforce of over 13,000 staff and over 100 different clinical services across 10 different sites, serving a core population of more than 500,000 people across South West England. UHBW has been rated by the CQC as 'Good' overall and our staff are proud to deliver excellent care to the people of Bristol, Weston and beyond. As a forward thinking multi-award winning Trust and a digital exemplar committed to improving patient care, our world-leading research and innovations are having a positive local and global impact. Our hospitals are spread across Bristol and Weston, join us and you can enjoy the very best of both worlds city living within a stone's throw of the countryside or beside the seaside, both with easy access to all that the South West has to offer. UHBW is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. As an equal opportunities employer actively working towards a diverse workforce we aim to recruit and retain a workforce which represents the rich diversity of the local population at all levels and are committed to designing our services around the needs of individual patients and those around them. Anonymous information will be used from your application in order to ensure we're meeting our pledge.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
About the Clinical Research Network The NIHR Clinical Research Network (CRN) coordinates and supports the delivery of research in the NHS and the wider health and social care environment, and supports patients, the public, and health and care organisations across England to participate in high-quality research, thereby advancing knowledge and improving care. For more information please see the 'Working for the CRN West of England' pdf.
For a more detailed job description and main responsibilities, please refer to the job description document attached to this vacancy.Person SpecificationKnowledge and ExperienceEssential
- Experience working in an administrative role
- Broad generalist knowledge and experience of operational HR
- Knowledge and experience of using digital collaboration tools
- Experience in working with managers in the use and interpretation of policies, and in the management of specific business change projects
- Experience working in a large, matrix organisation
Skills and AbilitiesEssential
- Experience working in the NHS and/or health and care research
- Knowledge and experience of facilitating or administering the use of digital collaboration tools
Qualifications and EducationEssential
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate with a diverse range of internal and external stakeholders at all levels
- Ability to understand and respond to colleagues' needs, including building rapport and utilising active listening skills
- Excellent presentation skills in written and verbal formats
- Strong negotiation and influencing skills, including persistence and resilience in the face of challenge
- Ability to understand, navigate and communicate policies and systems in a complex health and care environment
- Ability to support, guide, reassure and motivate managers and teams, including when dealing with difficult or complex situations
- Ability to maintain focus in an environment of multiple conflicting demands on time and resources
- Excellent IT skills, particularly use of virtual collaboration tools (e.g. Google Workspace, Microsoft Teams)
- Educated to degree level of equivalent
- Further training or experience in a relevant area (e.g. HR, office management and administration, digital collaboration)
- Evidence of continued professional development
Public Sector Language CompetencyEssential
- Proactive approach, with the ability to take initiative with minimal supervision
- A pragmatic approach to problem-solving
- An agile mindset: understanding, collaborating, learning and staying flexible to achieve high-performing results
- A demonstrable commitment to the UHBW values: We are supportive, respectful, innovative and collaborative
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Able to speak fluent English to an appropriate standard
University Hospitals Bristol and Weston NHS Foundation Trust (UHBW)Address
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.