We are seeking a full time Specialist Haematologist to join our established and enthusiastic team in providing a high-quality haematology service on the Isle of Wight.
The post holder will work as part of a team to provide a Haematology and Blood Transfusion services and meet the requirements for accreditation with UKAS (United Kingdom Accreditation Service).
The contract is for 10 PAs. The Trust is happy to consider flexible working in support of work / life balance. Extended days, compressed hours and part time working may be considered.Main duties of the job
Attached you will find the person specification document which provides more detail about the essential and desirable skills and experience needed for this role. We highly recommend you review this document and use it when completing your application as these criteria are used by hiring managers as guidance during shortlisting.
For an overview of the main duties of the role please see the 'Job Description and Main Responsibilities' section below. To understand the day-to-day responsibilities in more detail please read the full job description document attached.
This is subject to Royal college approval
We are passionate about providing excellent CARE, which is why our values are C
espect and E
veryone counts. Our mission is to make sure that our community is at the heart of everything we do and that we hold our values across all our services.
We are committed to endorsing inclusion, diversity and multiculturalism throughout out services and as such, our procedures and policies ensure that applicants are always treated fairly throughout the recruitment process.
Why not come and see for yourself the CARE we give to our patients and staff. Apply to be part of our team today.About us
The Isle of Wight NHS Trust is the only integrated acute, community, mental health and ambulance health care provider in England. We serve a population of approximately 150,000 residents, making the services we offer variable and personalised with a flexible approach to our service users.
Working for our Trust brings a variety of benefits, including an onsite day nursery, cycle-to-work scheme, discounts at local businesses and gyms, and the opportunity to hire Trust's beach hut in Ryde. We offer many flexible working opportunities, speak to us about how we might be able to accommodate a flexible working arrangement for you and if it works for the service, we will do our best to make it work for you.
The Isle of Wight is a unique and stunning gem located off the South Coast of England, a short ferry journey from Portsmouth and Southampton, with journey times taking from as little as 10 minutes. London can be reached in 90 minutes by rail from Southampton or Portsmouth. The island offers an amazing coastline with beautiful countryside, year-round events, festivals and award-winning attractions.
Our 2020-2025 strategy sets out to ensure that we continue to be a provider of excellent and compassionate care. As part of this strategy, we are proactively taking steps to ensure that we recruit and retain the highest quality of talent to provide CARE and we would welcome applications from under-represented groups to ensure our Trust is an inclusive and diverse employer.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- Provide comprehensive clinical haematology care, out-patient, day case and inpatient, working within an MDT structure
- Provide liaison and clinical advice about Haematology test results, anticoagulation and blood transfusion to the hospital and primary care physicians
- Review and authorise blood films referred by Biomedical Scientists for second opinion
- Participate in clinical governance and clinical audit
- To share in 1 in four consultant haematology on call rota (1 of the 4 being carried out by colleagues from the University Hospital Southampton NHS Trust)
- Participate in the Royal College of Pathologists or Physicians CPD scheme
- To contribute to undergraduate education, and the training of postgraduate trainees in Haematology as well as non-medical staff
- To contribute to the research output and administration needs of the department
- Contribute to the bone marrow lists in the department
- Provision of Outpatient services for haematology patients. It is anticipated that the post holder will undertake 2 formal clinics per week and additional clinics for urgent cases and patients on chemotherapy as necessary.
- The post holder will be required to supervise haematology patients undergoing treatment in day care settings.
- To maintain and improve the quality of the Haematology laboratory service in order to continue to provide a high quality, comprehensive diagnostic service.
- To continue to develop existing specialist services in haematology and haemato-oncology in line with national and network guidelines and with Trust policy.
- To continue to improve blood transfusion practice within the Trust in line with national blood transfusion service guidelines and legal requirements, in conjunction with the Hospital Transfusion Practitioner and the Hospital Transfusion Committee.
- Full registration and licence to practise with the GMC and be on the Specialist Register in Haematology (or be eligible for registration within six months of interview).
- FRCPath or evidence of equivalent qualification.
Employer detailsEmployer name
- MRCPCH or evidence of equivalent qualification
Isle of Wight NHS TrustAddress
St Mary's Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.