Previous applicants who have applied for the above post are encouraged to consider whether they would like to reapply following any feedback post interview if you would like to discuss this with the previous interview panel you are encouraged to do so. If you were not shortlisted for this vacancy previously, we would advise that you review your application and the Person Specification before resubmitting a further application.
Are you are interested in working along side children and families in the community?
Are you interested in working with young people and supporting them with their health needs?
Are you interested in working with vulnerable families?
Do you want to develop your leadership, management skills and role model for junior staff?
We are looking to recruit SCPHN qualified School Nurses to join our enthusiastic and innovative School Nursing team. We have both term time and all year round posts available on various hours based at Hobmoor Road Health Centre, 192 Hobmoor Road, B10 9JH
We are looking for qualified school nurses with strong skills in clinical leadership and in depth knowledge of public health. They should also be committed to team working and possess excellent interpersonal skills and be able to lead a multidisciplinary team of school health staff who will work with children, young people and families to identify relevant health needs and ensure these are addressed in line with the agreed service pathways.Main duties of the job
The post holder will work within their allocated district to assess the health needs of individual children and the school population as a whole. They will also support other districts within their team where need arises. They will proactively address factors affecting health to ensure that children and young people achieve the best possible outcomes and will work with vulnerable children and families to reduce the risks of social exclusion and health inequalities.
The successful candidates must have:
About usBe Part of Our Team...
- Specialist Community Public Health Nurse - School Nursing qualification or working towards qualifying soon (offer of post will be conditional to successful completion of course)
- Evidence of post registration development and training
Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust (BCHC) has more than 5000 staff working across Birmingham and the West Midlands in a wide range of community nursing and specialist healthcare roles. BCHC delivers over 100 clinical services, in people's homes, health centres, clinics and inpatient facilities. We deliver a wide range of services for children, young people, parents and families as well as adults and community services, two community hospitals, services for people with learning disabilities, the internationally recognised West Midlands Rehabilitation Centre and one of Europe's leading Dental Hospitals and School of Dentistry. We deliver all of this with a commitment to integrated, personalised care that is rooted in our local communities. We have an ambition to deliver outstanding, integrated care as one of the key NHS providers in the West Midlands.
If you want to 'Be Part of Our Team' and work with a Foundation Trust which is continuously striving for best care and healthy communities, we want to hear from you.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Person SpecificationOther job requirementsEssential Personal qualitiesEssential
- To maintain the Code of Professional Conduct as laid down by the NMC and be responsible for the recording and re-registration of all nursing qualifications.
- To lead a multidisciplinary team of school health staff who will work with children, young people and families to identify relevant health needs and ensure these are addressed in line with the agreed service pathways.
- To lead in the development of multi-agency partnerships at school and district level.
- To manage Band 5 nursing colleagues in the delivery of medical needs training programmes for schools within the caseload.
- To maximise the visibility and accessibility of school health services in the locality through local promotion and engagement with schools, pupils (including through the school ambassadors programme) partner agencies and voluntary sector
- To create a learning environment and be responsible for mentoring of pre-registration students and long arm mentoring of post registration students in line with BCHC guidelines for long arm mentoring.
- To undertake holistic assessment of children and young people meeting the criteria for assessment. To write and deliver care plans to meet the needs identified at health assessment, delegation of this work where appropriate.
- To contribute to multi agency interventions for children subject to safeguarding Early Help or SEND.
- To undertake the development of and participate in school partnership agreements and district profiles and utilise available demographic data to identify health trends in order to plan effective services to meet the needs of the individual,school and community populations.
- To be a liaison agent between the children, teachers, parents, medical officers, the appropriate primary health care teams and others.
- To carry out home visits as required.
- To work in settings other than schools as necessary to meet the needs of the child and their families To deliver a drop in session in senior schools.
- To lead allocation meetings where work to be carried out in schools will be equitably distributed across the team.
- To maintain accurate records and prepare reports as necessary, ensuring their confidentiality and to offer support to other members of the team in doing so.
- To participate in case conferences, case reviews and core groups where school health interventions are being provided
- To write court reports as required in conjunction with legal services.
- To undertake cover for colleagues as designated by the Team Leader.
- To support the medicines in schools policy.
- To participate in trust clinical governance and audit programmes.
- To be able to use software packages appropriate to clinical care and to ensure data is entered onto the system in a timely and accurate manner.
- To ensure all relevant activity and outcomes are recorded on Rio electronic patient record and other systems in line with service requirements to ensure service activity and effectiveness can be fully evidenced.
- To engage in the ChatHealth text messaging service.
- To work flexibly up until 6pm on weekdays and occasional weekends to meet service needs.
- To undertake the role of duty nurse and to lead at allocation meetings
- Ability to demonstrate a commitment to team working
- Ability to manage change within a NHS/Primary Care arena.
- Ability to learn and apply knowledge appropriately.
- Ability to motivate, teach and support students/staff within the service.
- Aptitude to work with children and young people.
- Knowledge and application of NMC code of professional conduct
- Ability to demonstrate sound knowledge and application of up to date evidence based clinical practices
- Knowledge of leadership style and when to use appropriately
- Ability to teach and assess pre and post registration students
- Ability to manage a caseload
- Knowledge of current issues pertinent to school health and health education.
- Ability to teach relatives, clients and staff across all areas of self-care and health promotion.
- Ability to work in a supervisory capacity
- Knowledge of current legislative changes affecting the NHS and social services, particularly those affecting primary care and young people.
- Ability to participate in setting standards and auditing
- Ability to produce relevant, concise, accurate and legible written communication
- Ability to demonstrate individual responsibility in respect of health and safety.
- Awareness of the needs of ethnic minority clients/care (e.g. equal opportunities)
- Significant post registration experience working with children and young people
- Team working
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Registered nurse
- Specialist practitioner degree school nursing
- SLAiP/ENB 998/city & guilds 730/similar teaching qualification
Birmingham Community Healthcare NHS FTAddress
Hob Moor Road Health Centre
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.